Author Topic: On line dating vents and laughs......  (Read 161672 times)

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
Re: On line dating vents......
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
Nice to see you SunshineFL!

My favorite on your list has to be the guy who was OK with you Googling him? Hysterical considering what he knew you would find.

Unless I get a "Hi" only or something x-rated as a message, I will respond. If they make an effort, I make an effort.

Now I have my cousin sending me screen shots of on line profiles I should checkout. Maybe her judgement is better than mine LOL.

SunshineFL

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 12:56:47 PM »
Nice to see you SunshineFL!

Now I have my cousin sending me screen shots of on line profiles I should checkout. Maybe her judgement is better than mine LOL.

Nice to be "seen" @momtokam, and thank you for starting this thread just now; so timely. We can be here for each other as we navigate all this and help each other stay hopeful and optimistic.  :D

Gotta love the helpful friends/family members sending screen shots. Who knows? Maybe that will be the introduction that sparks it all?  8)

I don't even want to imagine if my profile has been "screenshot-ed" and forwarded, saved, whatever. The "ick" side of my love/hate with the internet. (LOL)  [BTW, this board and wonderfully supportive community is on the "love" side:)]

I just added match to my repertoire so now I'm giving match and okcupid a shot. I asked a friend of mine why it is that I seem to give more attention, interest or possibility to a man who has been widowed who shows interest in me. Because, we all know that the status and common experience of being widowed alone doesn't make anyone a good match for each other. So many other thresholds have to be crossed and align, right? 

He told me, it isn't that - think of it like a resume and that credential gets him in the door with me. He still has to pass the interview stage(s). <LOL>    ;D  Oh goodness.

Buckle up, friends, quite the roller coaster of summer fun here in "social encounters."
Chat soon, SunshineFL

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:39 PM »
Never thought my profiles could be screen shot and sent on! Oh boy!

Tonight I got a very nice response from a gentleman who, I did not have an interest in, thanking me for replying. He thought I was very kind and would be snatched up quick by a very lucky guy.

Now I'm not sure about that. I need someone beyond the 20 year olds who like my hair to message me. Maybe it could be the guy my age, who messaged me looking for a serious committed relationship but says he is strickly non monogamous. Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:36:21 PM by momtokam »

RobFTC

• Lost Michelle to ovarian cancer 2010/11/07
    • Celtic Journeys radio show
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
Serious committed relationship + strictly non-monogamous?  What's he got in mind, MTK, a harem? :-)

I catch myself in harem fantasies every so often, and then I remember how much energy it takes to maintain just ONE good relationship.

Take care,
Rob T
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:27:42 AM by RobFTC »
There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
Serious committed relationship + strictly non-monogamous?  What's he got in mind, MTK, a harem? :-)

I catch myself in harem fantasies every so often, and then I remember how much energy it takes to maintain just ONE good relationship.

😁😁😁😁😁😁

ieh21

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:01 AM »
Yeah, my biggest problem with online dating is that no one seems that interested in dating at all. It felt to me like a ton of people were actively scouring the website, sending out feelers, but no one really wanted to take the plunge and you know, meet. It's like online shopping at a luxury goods store. I'm just looking. I'd loooove this item, that item, oooh this is cute, but when comes time to checkout, I see the prices and delete the whole thing.

I think people are really chicken. Or entitled. Or close-minded. How bad can an hour spent with anyone really be? A widow with children isn't looking to get married to you tomorrow morning after one hour spent at Starbucks. So relax on "managing expectations". Flirting takes practice, don't worry, you're just my practice round.

People forget that there's an actual person on the other side of the screen. Or they don't care.

sunshinedaydreamz

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:11:50 AM by sunshinedaydreamz »

imissdow

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »
Did on-line for about 2 years. Met some really nice guys and some not so nice ones.  I finally quit when it seemed like all I was attracting was married guys. The last one (i think) was married and  his profile said he lived  less the 5 miles away. However I asked him why he had a Philadelphia number. He came up with I used to live there. I asked what he liked to see/do there he told me about the historic district after going off line long enough to Google something.  I could almost hear the gagging noise when I told him I made several trips that way every year to see my sister.  I got a last name from him and Googled him only to find out he doesn't exist.  On-line is hard. It takes a ton of time and you really need to have a thick skin.  Not sure that the type of guy I want is the type that would be on-line.  It really takes me awhile to warm up to someone and that doesn't seem to be the case on-line.

At one point I tried to respond to everyone who sent me a message. After awhile it felt like to much work and about half of the guys I did do a thanks,but no thanks to wanted a reason.  I have not met you I don't own you a explanation.  I just started blocking them.

At some point I might venture online again. Maybe when I'm bored over the winter and need some new entertainment.

I think this serious yet non-monogamous guy wants a gal that is committed yet he can do whatever he pleases.  Sound like the one guy who contacted me and wanted a committed yet open relationship I responded isn't that  a FWB?

SunshineFL

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:29 PM »
For your reading entertainment, here is today's hightlight -

A man reached out to me with a message complimenting my profile words, the best and most articulate he has ever read on *any* site - he states, and letting me know he was looking for a dominant-submissive-psychological thing - not like 50Shades because, according to him, it was a crock and not realistic for the "lifestyle" he wants and lives at all.

I never judge and to each his/her own no doubt - but is this my world?
Goodness.
Okay - feel free to laugh - really, it is the best option?  ;)

~SunshineFL

sunshinedaydreamz

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
Yes it takes huge patience and sense of humor.
Almost everyone I ever met online has a slew of "friends".
I often asked them is this a friends site or a dating site. Endless texts (ok so that's your son texting, you must have an awful lot of sons). Became ridiculous to the point of absurd. I left that all behind and seriously, have taken up fishing, and boating. I meet more single people doing what I like, then ever before on a dating site(s). It's relaxing, don't  have to make excuses, or compete with 14 other (people their dating, or "friending"), and it's more relaxing than I ever thought could be possible. And at the end of the day I'm still able to honor the memory of my lost spouse (without guilt or having to make excuses), with honor, and make new friends. It may work for others (dating sites), but I have come full circle in realizing that's not the way I'm going to meet any new companion, let alone future spouse. I guess I can for the first time say I'm happy and don't miss the sites.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:57:59 PM by sunshinedaydreamz »

SunshineFL

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »
leh21 that would Be the perfect profile. Just what you wrote.
It would certainly limit the window shoppers !

@ieh21 - I agree with @sunshinedaydreamz (great screen name!  :) - copy and paste and write that. I bet it would help get the "real men" to message you and set up the real initial meeting.
~SunshineFL

SunshineFL

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
Yes it takes huge patience and sense of humor.
I left that all behind and seriously, have taken up fishing, and boating. I meet more single people doing what I like...

...I can for the first time say I'm happy and don't miss the sites.

Love all this @sunshinedaydreamz.
Well said.
Happy.
~SunshineFL

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Thank you everyone! Loving everyone's experiences.

Latest update:

-Gentleman 18 years older than me says he knows he is "past my expiration date" on age but his parts are in "working order:! Oddly enough it was a very nice thought out message and not crude at all!

-I've replied to initial messages I have liked and nothing back.

-after replying nicely with a thanks for your interest but no thank you, one man thanked me for "saving" him, and another told me "don't be flattered, why would I think he was interested"

-I started communicating with a very nice gentleman, let's see how it goes

sunshinedaydreamz

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:12:34 AM by sunshinedaydreamz »

Nuggets

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
I think that a lot of people on dating sites don't really want to date...
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Isaac Asimov