Author Topic: On line dating vents and laughs......  (Read 146419 times)

arneal

• The Starving Activist
Re: On line dating vents and laughs......
« Reply #795 on: September 03, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »
Hugs, Needy! I hear you. My former husband (FH -- that's the term I've taken a liking to ...) was quite handy and taught me some of his tricks but it sucks to have to handle every household mishap alone.

I hope you meet someone who isn't concerned about his 'own issues'. Ew. Not worth your time if he can't even offer a bit of consolation to a lady trying to keep a house together. NG is a technician and is dying to rewire my audio systems -- cracks me up because the way FH did it quick and easy, not trying to hide any wires, which is the way I would have done it on my own as well. I had an issue with my garage door opener a couple months back; it just gave out. Thought I'd have to scrape up more cash that I didn't have to fix it, but one of the days he was here was an on-call weekend so he had some tools. He got up on the ladder, checked it out, and discovered I had a dead outlet. One extension cord later and it worked. A bit of time went by and I thanked him for fixing it and he commented that he'd found the problem but hadn't fixed it; I had to remind him that where I come from, fixing means whatever you did to get it to work. I think he liked that.

You are resilient, my friend. I wrote something about that on my facebook feed today; we are fragile but the other side of that coin is resiliency. It's there -- sometimes it's just not as strong as we'd like ;) Once you get to a place where you are happy (or at least not worried!) about your personal space, you may feel like getting back in the dating ring. In the meantime, take care of yourself. And pop in here to chuckle at our stories :)
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b

RobFTC

• Lost Michelle to ovarian cancer 2010/11/07
    • Celtic Journeys radio show
« Reply #796 on: September 03, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »
One guy did seem promising then I mentioned my weeping tile issue and he said he has his own issues and actually told me to F off.

What???  Good Lord, some people's children.

Take care,
Rob T
There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.

Virgo

« Reply #797 on: September 04, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
Needytoo, I bet he was assuming that you were just looking for a guy to fix things around the house. His response was a very rude, immature, overreaction though. Delete...next!!

I'm not online dating, but wanted to share that I have a date tonight. This was very unexpected! Long story short, I've been dating two guys off and on. I  decided to take a two week break from both, and have. I recently had to buy a new dishwasher. There was an issue with the outlet. I asked a friend, former electrician, if he could help me. Last Sunday he said he would drop by, but he bailed. I haven't heard from him since, not surprised. Another friend, also a former electrician, offered to look at it. He came by Wednesday and fixed it. He mentioned that he got a divorce last October. I had no idea. Obviously it had been awhile since we had talked. I had plans that evening to see live music at a local bar. I messaged him from the bar that I would have to take him out sometime for drinks. He asked when. I mentioned that I usually have Wednesday and Friday evenings to myself. In fact, I was out now. Anyway, he ended up dropping by. We had a great time. He said he should personally thank the installer for messing with the dishwasher outlet, and the guy that bailed on me. Then he asked me if I wanted to go out Friday. We did! Now we're going out again tonight.

It's unexpected because I have known him for a long time. I've never really thought about him this way. He's not the type of guy I would normally be attracted to, but he's a great guy. For those of you that don't know, my LH was a K9 officer. NG is a detective at the same police department. Right now we are just two people enjoying each other's company. If we start dating the fact that he works for the same PD might make things awkward. Especially for him.

Side note: he told me about his Match experiences, hilarious!!
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #798 on: September 04, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Good for you, Virgo. As an aside, many years after my dad died, my mom began a relationship with a man who was our neighbor when I was growing up. Talk about potentially messy -- he had been a friend of my dad's and before my mom had been living with a woman she had worked with for years. It started as a friendship between two widowed people and now they are involved. It can happen and work out. Forget what people say; my pastor just said it today -- people will talk about you, so let them :)
Andree'

Virgo

« Reply #799 on: September 06, 2016, 05:04:57 PM »
Very true Arneal, people will talk. Well, we were together Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, yesterday, and today! There's just a mutual feeling of comfort and connection. It's nice.

We did talk about the potential awkwardness, especially for him, if this turned out to be more than friendship.  After talking we both agreed that we wanted to see where it was going.
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #800 on: September 06, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »
Glad you are on the same page and hoping for the best for you both, Virgo!
Andree'

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #801 on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »
Needytoo,

I'm sorry you have to deal with all this, and then that idiot and his ridiculous response...Geez!
You are resilient....you are strong. Don't ever forget that!

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #802 on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
Sound great so far Virgo!  Good luck!

SunshineFL

« Reply #803 on: September 13, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »
Here is a new text exchange today with a gentleman on OKC who is interested in getting to know me. Only you folks here will think this is funny/weird but also get it (this is my life?):

Him: How long have you been single?
Me: (not wanting to get into *it* via text, so simply reply) 7 years, You?
Him: 3
Me: (We had spoken on the phone about his son, his ex and some other things the night prior, so I just put it out there because can't hurt to be a bit candid, after all the divorced men I've met who are bitter and angry). Are you on good terms with your ex? No unresolved hostilities or bitterness?
Him: We get along better in tiny doses. You?
Me: (Okay, here we go, have to say something) We parted involuntarily and with a lot of love in our hearts. Cancer. 7 years ago. So, yes, we have an open, loving, one-way dialogue now and can talk about anything without judgment or bitterness. Lots of life lessons learned. ....I wish I could see your face when you read this, or better talk in person.
Him: I'm glad for you my dear. ;)

Haven't heard from him since.
That was at 11 am this morning.

I know he meant the "no bitterness" part, but it was still so awkward and not what I expected to read/hear.  Not reading into it. Don't know him. Not judging him. We'll see if I hear from him again or not.  Just another odd blip on the path of widowed journey dating world, I guess...but a little weirdly humorous for your late night reading pleasure. 

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #804 on: September 13, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
(hugs) You know we get it.
Andree'

SunshineFL

« Reply #805 on: September 13, 2016, 10:25:02 PM »
Thanks @arneal. 
As I read back the text exchange in my post here, I'm laughing because it could really sound or be interpreted out of context that I talk to dead people - which I do, which we all do in some way, right? lol - but not in a text reveal! hahaha maybe that is how he read it!? Who knows?
Maybe I'll get the chance to ask in a light-hearted way if we talk again.
He just texted a moment ago that he had a long and not good work day and that he'd call me soon. So, likely didn't scare him off too badly.  :o

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #806 on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:58 PM »
Cool! Hope you have good conversations!
Andree'

StillWidowed

« Reply #807 on: September 15, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »
Soooo....I'm chatting with this cute guy online.  He tells me that he works a lot.  After a little more idle chit chat, he tells me when he isn't working he's at home all the time because his dog has separation anxiety.  What the what???  I think to myself.  Then I put fingers to keyboard and asked him why in the world he was on a dating site if he worked a lot and when he WASN'T working had to stay at home with an anxiety riddled dog?  I reminded him that a dating site was to well.....actually.....ummm....DATE!

His response?  "I didn't think of it that way".  Huh?  I think.  "Maybe I should take down my profile".
Me:  "That's a good idea".  Oy vey!

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #808 on: September 15, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
Oh, wow, StillWidowed! I have two dogs, one of which is a major ball of anxiety. I talk to her lovingly and still go out :) I am working up to being gone overnight but it's more an issue of having some extra $ to give to someone to check in on them. I have a neighbor who has graciously volunteered so I'm on my way :)
Andree'

Captains wife

« Reply #809 on: September 15, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »
I have been emailing with a guy who gives me one word answers - I have decided to throw in the towel. The last straw - He asked about meeting with drinks - I threw out some dates/times and all I get back is "OK"

Next !

On the more positive side, had 2nd date last night with cute dad my age with young kids who is very funny. Not sure he's a match for me for a few reasons but I enjoy his company and he is a nice guy. He took me to dinner and a concert and we had too much to drink and kissed like teenagers during the concert. Fun !!

Have 2 more dates with different guys this weekend. Just enjoying the casual dating scene for the time being.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:32:24 PM by Captains wife »