Author Topic: On line dating vents and laughs......  (Read 161254 times)

SunshineFL

Re: On line dating vents and laughs......
« Reply #1080 on: January 15, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
@RyanAmysMom - I responded to your post on your other "dating newbie" thread. 
(((Hugs))) it can be a jungle out there in the surreal world of online dating.

MrsDan

« Reply #1081 on: January 16, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
... he brushed it off as lots of people have 2 FB profiles.

Um ... what the absolute fuck?  I've seen dual profiles a couple of times, mostly when someone forgets how to log into their first account!  :)

Take care,
Rob T

Dan had two profiles. One used a nick name, and was him at his most real and personal. That was the profile I was "married" to. He also had a profile that used his real name. He used that profile for patrons, board members, certain coworkers, and some family members. Dan was a children's librarian, and very much loved, so people wanted to friend him on Facebook, and he also announced library programs there. Because Dan was completely irreverent, he also wanted to post where it wouldn't adversely affect his career. So he had that profile too. There was a lot of overlap in the friends list.
You are the Bear of my heart dear,
And nothing can take that away.

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #1082 on: January 16, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
My reaction was more along Rob's reaction.

I guess I can see it in your Dan's situation MrsDan.
This guy's one profile seemed so vague though and seemed to be a way to get attention from someone (younger picture) and then come clean once he had your contact info. That did not sit well for me.

I guess if I want to be more anonymous I could create another FB profile and just use that one for dating.
What I did do was remove my cell phone from my profile.  It wasn't public but I think if someone has it in their phone,  FB likes to say they might know you and you show up in their recommendation, as part of their algorithms.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:25:34 AM by momtokam »

trying2breathe

• Widowed August 2013
« Reply #1083 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
Good dates, bad dates or otherwise, the start of this year has been not a good scene for me.   Even my matchmaking service has come up with ..... nothing.   I was so discouraged this morning that I got out my wedding ring and I've been wearing it all day as a reminder that I was once loved.  To hell with it all ......  :-[
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #1084 on: January 16, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
Great point, MrsDan -- I have two profiles but I never thought of it that way ... one is the general one and the other is my author profile. Some people are connected to me only through my blog and writing, rather than personally. I didn't share my social media with anyone in the online dating world and it seems none of those who reached out to me was savvy enough to know how to find even my public professional profiles. NG and I are friends on Facebook but that came a number of months after we started seeing each other. He knows about both my profiles, even though he only follows my 'personal' one.
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b

klim

« Reply #1085 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
Oh trying tobreathe ...it's good to be able to remind yourself... if putting your ring back on works....perfect!!!

It's a tough game to play.....and it's not really a game but if I put that spin on it I feel like I have to enjoy the effort I'm putting into it.

I mess with scammers, laugh at the youngster and oldsters trying to get my attention , try and brush off those that reject me ( usually by being juvenile and in my head go through everything that was wrong with them even though some of them looked pretty perfect)...and lastly try and hold out hope that the next contact is going to be "the one"

Enjoy the ride as much as possible.

Needytoo

« Reply #1086 on: January 17, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
I sent out three emails on Sunday and had one response.  He answered my question and that was it.  Guys, why don't you ask a question back so we can keep the conversation going?  Is this one of those "Men are from Mars" moments? 

The one guy that I have been chatting with also has two facebook accounts.  He told me one was hacked, that is why he has two.  Not sure if a facebook account can be hacked. I just assumed he had two because one was his life before his divorce.

wecouldbeheros

« Reply #1087 on: January 17, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »
What's with the two Facebook accounts. Never post what you don't want on the front pages of a newspaper. If one would ask FB has a habit of ruining relationships why would one want two. I dungetit.

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #1088 on: January 17, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
Needy -- yes, FB account issues are a real thing. A few of my very good friends have had it happen. I would get a second friend request and all of a sudden they would send a message saying to us not to accept it because it wasn't them :(
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b

trying2breathe

• Widowed August 2013
« Reply #1089 on: January 18, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »
Thank you, klim.  Right now I'm happily wearing my wedding band, and taking some time off from trying to date. I'm so cranky, nothing seems right.  Not a good state of mind to try to meet a guy.   

I'll hopefully hop back on this horse soon  ::) , and then enjoy the ride.
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Needytoo

« Reply #1090 on: January 20, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
try2breathe I have tried the old dating thing on and off for awhile.  I went in totally blind and I don't recommend that, ask as many questions you would like to. 

Had my teeth cleaned a few days ago, my dental hygienist is so full of information on on-line dating.  All her children found their partners that way.  She is so inspirational.

One guy sent me back two emails and pretty sure he has ghosted now.  My texter from afar lost his job last night.  I sent him a supportive text, but I am really thinking he is going to hit me up for money.  Is it wrong to always assume the worse? 

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #1091 on: January 20, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
Is it wrong to always assume the worse? 

I had a discussion about this very thing today.

Not wrong at all when you have seen the same pattern over and over. I do believe that not everyone is like this though and the good ones, that will change this point of view, are out there. I am an optimist and always believe in the good in people. Sometimes this gets me burnt. I keep trying.

I hope I can share a good story one day soon...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:32:43 PM by momtokam »

klim

« Reply #1092 on: January 21, 2017, 01:33:54 AM »
ok I've gone on 4 dates with a tall,wealthy fellow that is fun,flirtatious and enfactuated with me. I'm having fun but I don't know, I'm not totally relaxed....it's like i don't beleive he could be that taken with me.....and of course I'm over thinking everything.....why can't I just relax!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:07:24 AM by klim »

RobFTC

• Lost Michelle to ovarian cancer 2010/11/07
    • Celtic Journeys radio show
« Reply #1093 on: January 21, 2017, 02:16:36 AM »
kilm - meet him and see, if that feels safe.  All you can do!

Take care,
Rob T
There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.

Needytoo

« Reply #1094 on: January 21, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »
I am really trying to be an optimist as well momtokam. Learning to use boundaries and when to be assertive which in general has improved my life so much but there are still those life moments or certain people that I still have some issues on how to handle them. 

Kilm, I can understand your feelings and I wish I could give you some answers but unfortunately I have nothing.