Author Topic: On line dating vents and laughs......  (Read 162039 times)

Needytoo

Re: On line dating vents and laughs......
« Reply #1140 on: February 04, 2017, 06:39:32 AM »
Joined Match last weekend and sent out some messages.  Not one of them has been read, I bet you they haven't paid their membership. I find that annoying. I will send out a few more messages this weekend and see what happens.

Had a widower contact me on POF and ask me a bunch of questions about how long I have been doing online dating and how do I find it.  I was honest.  He is very interested in a long term relationship.  See what happens there.

What do you do with the "repeaters" that act like they don't know who you are?

klim

« Reply #1141 on: February 04, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
I've had no success with match but I think it's very regional which sites are most popular.

As far as repeaters......I think I could be guilty of being a repeat messenger..... If you've been on and off the sites it doesn't keep a record of who you've spoken to. If the person changes their main photo , it might be hard to remember. If I'd met the person, you'd hope that it would be memorable enough .....

If I was contacted by a repeat messenger  that originally just kinda faded out and there was no redflag disconnect I'd start talking again. I think sometimes l've let go of an ok lead to persue a more intriguing lead but if that fizzles I wanted to revisit the other one... so I give other people the benefit of the doubt and let them converse again,( that is as long as they didn't give me a rude brush off or whatever the first time)

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #1142 on: February 04, 2017, 08:05:34 AM »
Good luck with Match. I personally did not find it any better. If you signed up for 6 months, try and follow their rules so you can at least get the free additional 6 months if you need them.

Lots of unreads and no responses, lots of same men that were on the free sites. Some different men. Scammers too, just like the free sites.

I did connect with a familiar widower, in a very funny way, on there though. That alone was worth the rest of the craziness.

As for the repeaters, if your pictures are new, I would expect that. If they are flipping through hundreds or more pictures,  they won't remember. If it's someone you want to persue, ignore it, chat with them like they are new, and and see what happens. If it's not someone you want to persue, you can call them on it if you are in that kind of mood! 😁 Those conversations have been quite entertaining!

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #1143 on: February 04, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
Klim,
You would think Match would be good in our area.
Go figure!

momtokam

• Widowed September 2012
« Reply #1144 on: February 04, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
Momtojandj.....

If I have met a repeater in person before though, and they claimed not to remember me, then that would be a no way! 

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #1145 on: February 04, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
I agree with you that Match seems hit or miss. I had no luck whatsoever with it and I'm in Southern California -- you'd think with all the people that live in this area, something would have hit. My city is over 200,000+ by itself.
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b

Virgo

« Reply #1146 on: February 04, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »
Last night I got my memorial tattoo. It was so unbelievably therapeutic. Today marks 3 years. I'm not sure if I'm just feeling overly emotional, but I'm considering taking a break from dating. 
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

RobFTC

• Lost Michelle to ovarian cancer 2010/11/07
    • Celtic Journeys radio show
« Reply #1147 on: February 04, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
Joined Match last weekend and sent out some messages.  Not one of them has been read, I bet you they haven't paid their membership. I find that annoying.

Don't let that annoy you.  Match really discourages you from hiding your profile, even when your membership lapses - e.g. my membership has lapsed, and they send me daily matches every day, but since my profile is now hidden, I can't look at them.  All you have to do is be tempted to look and forget to re-hide, and you're out there on display again.  They do this so that they can use inactive profiles to market to you, the hapless member.  It's nowhere near good enough to tempt you with people you could actually meet, they want to tempt you with chimeras as well :-)  You have correctly stumbled on about the only way you can know if someone is a paid-up member - whether your messages are read or not.  Keep sending messages, and best of luck!  With all of the above said, Match was still very good for me this time (for a change).

Take care,
Rob T
There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.

Needytoo

« Reply #1148 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:56 AM »
It does creep me out that Match is doing that, but I do understand it is a business.  Sent out a few messages lets see if I have more success this week.  I can't believe that Match isn't doing well in the TO area. 

As far as the repeaters, I really don't know what to do?  They "ghosted" before I just feel they are going to do it again. 

The widower who wanted to chat still hasn't contacted me.  I just get the feeling he really isn't ready for the next step.

Next question, you know those people that check out your profile after you have checked out theirs do you ever send them a message or assume they aren't interested.

Needytoo

« Reply #1149 on: February 05, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
Virgo, there is nothing wrong in taking an online dating break. I do it often. 

RobFTC

• Lost Michelle to ovarian cancer 2010/11/07
    • Celtic Journeys radio show
« Reply #1150 on: February 05, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
Next question, you know those people that check out your profile after you have checked out theirs do you ever send them a message or assume they aren't interested.

You can't know if you don't ask.  I didn't e-mail every woman I found interesting or who looked at me - I targeted the best fits and worked through a list (I literally kept a spreadsheet, LOL!).  It was always worth some attention when someone reached out to me.  You could turn this around and have them wondering if you were interested when you looked at them but didn't leave a message, right?

Take care,
Rob T
There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.

Needytoo

« Reply #1151 on: February 05, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
A spreadsheet that is a great idea, I will have to try that.

klim

« Reply #1152 on: February 05, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
Whenever I wonder about reaching out...I reach out...if I don't I won't know. All they can do is either ignore the message...or answer it.....both provide me with an answer so all is good.

nonesuch

« Reply #1153 on: February 06, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »

What do you do with the "repeaters" that act like they don't know who you are?

Never happened to me.  For better or worse, they remembered.

Virgo

« Reply #1154 on: February 06, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
Virgo, there is nothing wrong in taking an online dating break. I do it often.

I have taken a few breaks from dating. It gets overwhelming sometimes. Quantity over quality when what I want is quality! If that makes sense.
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss