Specific Situations > Suicide/Addiction/Mental Illness/Abuse

Alcoholism and Addiction As A Disease?

<< < (2/3) > >>

TheOtherHalf:
No opinion here, but I've read this story for the first time and it is heartbreaking. Sounds like a really sweet man, underneath it all, and that's no pun intended. Just the way he said he wouldn't do "bad thing" anymore. It sounds like you really got to connect with him before he was gone. I'm glad for that.

Carey:

--- Quote from: Skitwin on November 03, 2015, 05:39:11 PM ---He couldn't. Someone once told me that when an alcoholic chooses to drink, it it only during the first time. Every drink after that is compulsion.

Only 4% of "problem drinkers" are true alcoholics...these are the people who react differently to alcohol and whose brains rewire rapidly to exposure to alcohol (source: CDC). There is psychological dependence, and then there is physical dependence.

My doctor told me that we all want so much to think that we have a choice over addiction, and get confused when we see some people "overcome" it. But those aren't the genetic, physical addicts. Those are the problem drinkers who have a shot at change and the ability to do it. For true (genetic) addicts, death or physical restraint are the only ways it stops. Our husbands died of a disease that is no less a disease than cancer.

--- End quote ---

OHMYGOD yes!  I used to question God why some people seemed to get "instant deliverance" from alcohol and Chad couldn't no matter how hard he prayed for it.  His was definitely genetic. No one hated it more than he did.  this was a very enlightening post for me .......thank you

squidley1992:
I know this is from well over a year ago but I figured that I would give my input. Camron, the person I loved the most who passed away a few weeks ago, he had a problem with heroin. and It was definitely a disease. The past 2 months we were arguing and he wasn't at my house because of the heroin and it can't be around our daughter. I have a lot of guilt because although I talked to him right before he passed away, I didn't see him face to face. he got clean multiple times and he was the most amazing person when he was clean, but his mom would use it to talk to him and it always worked because he could not control it when it was being brought around him. & he didn't even like doing it which was the ironic thing.....I don't know I realized with him that it is definitely a disease. I just wish I could have seen him one last time.

SoVerySad:
Squidley, I read an article a few years ago that has stayed with me ever since. It was written by a former heroin addict who had been off it for 7 years. He said he still thought about it every single day and that he felt certain that at some point in the future he would fall back into using again. The pull was that strong. He said he would feel sick for 23 hours of a day just to get that one hour of high from the heroin. I've shared his story several times with my teens, begging them to please never try it. The addiction must be terrible. You did the right thing by not allowing it around your daughter. I'm sorry he couldn't find his way away from it permanently.

Tight hugs...

Carey:
The genetic part of this scares me to death. I live in fear of it happening to my children.  My son already shows many of the tendencies his dad had, even without drinking. He's almost 18 and I will soon not be the one making choices for him and I am terrified he will follow the path of his dad ... granddad... great granddad.  ;(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version