Author Topic: advice on quitting a job vs getting fired  (Read 4044 times)

DonnaP

• Forever changed because I loved you!
Re: advice on quitting a job vs getting fired
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. It helps a LOT to know that this isn't the end of the world -- even though, to my son, it feels that way. He feels like a big loser, even though I keep telling him he is not! He does not have any saved vacation or sick time, as he has used it all. And 30 days is not really enough time to pay off all his debt (he has student loans that I'm helping him with), but we will do what we can. I told him he always has the option to move home for a while to save money instead of paying rent. I hope he is using his time wisely. Finding a new job can take some time, unfortunately :(
I still think of you, Mick...every SINGLE day!

Sugarbell

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
In my experience..if you voluntarily quit..you don't receive any unemployment. If you are terminated (or laid off)--depending on the reason for termination...USUALLY they have to pay unemployment. Most companies want you to voluntarily quit rather than termination so they don't have to pay the unemployment.

I was laid off about 15 years ago from a pharmaceutical company due to downsizing. It was unexpected..but I received unemployment compensation until I got hired by another drug company. It was no problem getting compensated.

Last year -I worked in marketing/development for a small private company that was unable to get the business off the ground in my city (they were trying to have a branch here and the market was horrible. They had not done the research needed before starting a new business and it went belly up within 8 months.

They wanted all of us (5 of us ) to quit. We refused. I made the President tell me face to face (with a witness) that I was terminated. They did not want to pay the unemployment..but were forced to. I collected full unemployment (I had only been with them for 8 months..but had 3 years employment with my previous company)--I just rode out the 6 months unemployment and had a great summer with my kids.

Don't voluntarily quit. My experience unless you are doing something illegal and that's the reason for termination-they pretty much have to pay you the benefits. At least here in WV they do. If they refuse you can appeal (but I have never had that happen )
B.W.H. 9/24/2007

serpico

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
Lots of good unemployment information here: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unemployment-benefits-contesting-employees-claim-30348.html

It certainly sounds like your son would receive unemployment absent any serious misconduct.
'I think I got some of your pickle'

Lmsmdm

• Joined Ywbb July/2011
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »
I was lucky enough to survive an objective to eliminate 25% of our work force!! I came dangerously close to getting the ax, and for no good reason, had great productivity results, and excellent attendance!!!! All advice I was given was do not quit!!! If you quit or resign, you are not eligible  for unemployment!!!!

I agree with everyone else in that he should start looking elsewhere while he is still employed!!
You hate me don't you? Yup, so much I married you twice! :)

linda5

• My one, my only
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 09:28:56 PM »
I also wouldn't quit.  I'd let them terminate me so I could get unemployment.  He can always say he was let go due to downsizing.

DonnaP

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
It's becoming real... he is getting ready to give his resignation on Monday. That is just one week from the "date of separation" if he waited out his probation period.
From what I've read and heard, he can still collect unemployment if he resigns in lieu of being let go. If anyone knows anything more on this, I'm all ears...

nonesuch

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »
I would have him call the unemployment office, seriously.

If he resigns I suspect he will not be eligible for unemployment.  If he is fired, unless it's for cause (sexual harassment, corporate intrigue, taking a contract out on the boss) he can still collect.  No matter what they say NOW, they could lie later and say "Meh. [shrugging shoulders] He quit."

Being fired isn't the end of the world.  If you haven't been fired, you really aren't trying to expand your abilities.

I've been fired a couple times.  I didn't TRY to get fired, but from time to time I have managed to get a job that was beyond my abilities. 

Sugarbell

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 01:35:44 PM »
Please don't let him resign....make them terminate him.

If he's not terminated in writing...make sure a witness is present. The company under these circumstances wants him to resign...they terminate him-He will get unemployment.

He resigns-in my experience it's doubtful.
B.W.H. 9/24/2007

serpico

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »
^^^ There are other considerations than unemployment, though. Getting another job will likely be easier if you can honestly tell an interviewer that you resigned instead of were fired from your last job.
'I think I got some of your pickle'

DonnaP

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »
^^^ There are other considerations than unemployment, though. Getting another job will likely be easier if you can honestly tell an interviewer that you resigned instead of were fired from your last job.

Yes. That is our biggest consideration. He does not want to have to lie on job applications and he does not want to have to admit and then explain why he was fired.