Specific Situations > Young Widowed Parents

Social Security

<< < (2/5) > >>

mmg19:
Last year I just marked all was used for kids but was aware that this scrutiny was a possibility.  I started a spreadsheet and followed the same approach that others have mentioned.  Dividing all expenses by 3 put them over the amount they received from SS.  I could not count them as dependents with IRS last year since I did not provide more than half of their support but wondering if that has anything to do with who gets audited.

luvmy2babies:
I haven't dealt with this either; but I know it is possible.  I have a spreadsheet too that tracks expenses and my bank statements to back it up.  I have 2 children so 2/3 of the expenses like everyone else noted.  Add in clothes/shoes, extracurricular activities, entertainment, the occassional vacation, barbershop/salon visits, summer camp, child care when school is closed, etc, I'm way over. 

Now that private school and daycare are behind us I will no longer be claiming them as dependents; but even without those two things I'm still spending way over what they get.  Once you begin to take a look at it, I'd be willing to bet you find the same.

Lisa:
My stepson is disabled. I've been thru this numerous times. I split all the expenses like rent and utilities. Guess a reasonable number for clothes, shoes, food. Add in a small amt for recreation. The expenses are greater than his benefits. I tell them That's why I have balances on my utilities. Be sure you do spend the money. Good luck. It is scarier on paper than in person if you have an interview

Kealoha:
When I went to apply for the SS benefits they actually cautioned me that it would be good to have spending records for this purpose.

I track my spending in the Mint app and can tag categories as kid spending, if anyone is interested in spreadsheet alternatives.

Hope things go smoothly for you.

singinmomo4:
I've never had them audit me.  I hope I never do.  I wonder if income plays a role in who gets audited? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version