Author Topic: Interesting article about Social Isolation  (Read 183 times)

RyanAmysMom

• Seek joy.
Interesting article about Social Isolation
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
Interesting article about Social Isolation - I'm pretty sure that's what Ive been doing.......
Anybody else?

https://whatsyourgrief.com/social-isolation/

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
Re: Interesting article about Social Isolation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »
I've made social isolation into an art form for the last 4 1/2 years!  I'm not sure when it went from self preservation to unhealthy.  I'm not sure now how change the pattern.
You will forever be my always.

Eddienhp

• Cancer Widow November 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:58:55 AM »
I am definitely socially isolated! I can't help it. Two kids now 11 & 8, one of whom has special needs, work, household maintenance, etc. I have no time. I do spend weekend time with the kids. I invite their friends to join us but not many respond due to busy schedules. It's the life I have to live now. The kids won't be young forever.

Eileen
My life is better because you were in it. You encouraged me to stretch my wings. I will forever be grateful. Rest in Peace Babe. Till we meet again.

tybec

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »
I am definitely socially isolated! I can't help it. Two kids now 11 & 8, one of whom has special needs, work, household maintenance, etc. I have no time. I do spend weekend time with the kids. I invite their friends to join us but not many respond due to busy schedules. It's the life I have to live now. The kids won't be young forever.

I knew I was but didn't know it was a "thing."  After DH died suddenly, just working full time, having an 8 yr. old and my elderly mother to care for, didn't lend to social time.  And then all my friends got busy, too, with their kids' activities.  Our mom group fell apart.  I became addicted to social media as a form of socializing which does not cut it, I know.   

My son does it, too.  He doesn't invite friends over.  Just on line stuff.  His activities are at school and then home, and then quiet.  I hate that.  Our whole world is doing it to some extent.

NG is the same. He divorced, moved to town his ex took the kids and works all the time.  He volunteers and goes to his kids' activities, but does not have a group of close friends per se. I told him we needed to go to a Super Bowl party he was invited to because he needed to socialize, and we did. 

When you work full time (or others do), and you have kids, and you have a home to maintain, where and when? 

I get it.  I wish I knew the answer. New home town for me, so forming close bonds will take a while anyway. 

It is hard....

Portside

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Let's see:

Kids
Caring for a house/apt
Work
Church
Grocery shopping and cooking
Laundry
Keeping the car in good repair
etc.

(almost forgot - sleep)

Unless it's pathological, didn't we use to call this *really busy*? ;)

Mike
The war is over for me now. But those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

Adley

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
Definitely in the club...
Here's to my pretty young wife     sleepin amongst the stars           now they say what's hers is mine but I know what's ours is ours

twistedmensa

• Embracing the suck since 1968!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
I have turned it into lifestyle. Sigh.