Author Topic: New semester...where are our students?  (Read 5757 times)

widowat33

Re: New semester...where are our students?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »
So my program is done as of last Thursday, well except for the twelve page essay we got assigned in one of our last classes, due this week of course. So that's what I spent my weekend doing and I am now officially done school work. Tomorrow I start my eight week placement. I kind of deviated from the norm on my placement choice, I took mental health and addictions, but chose a nursing home as my placement. The mental health of seniors is definitely overlooked, so I am excited to start tomorrow, nervous too, but mostly excited!
When I went back to school after being out of high school for over 15 years, and two short months after my dh died, I thought that I would never get through two years. Here I am, I can see the finish line and I can't believe how fast it went by! I don't think I'm done yet, I would like to continue on with education, but for now I may take a break!
Hope everyone else is doing well with their educational paths!

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
Good for you!  I still have until December, when I will graduate.  I hope you find the nursing home placement  a good experience.  I worked in this setting for over a decade...and you are right, these residents have a lot of mental health needs.  You might be surprised at the breadth of issues you might end up addressing, including addictions.  You might also see a number of people you wouldn't think you would find in a nursing home...young people, often with chronic illness and mental health diagnoses.  I hope you can get some good experience in your placement!

Maureen
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 04:29:14 AM »
Congratulations widowat33 and good luck with your placement.  I have spent a lot of time in te geriatric field also, I think you will find it to be challenging and rewarding!

Last Wednesday I took my final exam for my online program and am only waiting to hear about revisions for my graduation project. That program was taking 10-15 hours a week, what will I do with all of that time now?? In May I will be finished with Massage Therapy school and then can sit for my license. Happy to be in the final stretch.
You will forever be my always.

PhotoJunkie

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »
I start my program a week from today!  I finally settled down and picked a school to get my BSN.  They partnered with my last school so they accepted more credits than most.  That means I only have 12 classes to take and its a go at  your own pace. My max deadline is 18 months, when the girl graduates from high school, but I wouldn't mind it being less :D

Congrats to those finishing their programs!!! 

widowat33

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »
It was a long day, orientation!
Thanks everyone!
Maureen- so true, there are some younger people there, and quite a few with mental health issues. I had a great chat with one of the seniors today, but didn't get a lot of opportunity to spend time with the residents. December isn't too far away :)
Trying- massage therapy sounds like a great field to get into! It does feel nice to almost be done, doesn't it? I am wondering what I will do now that I don't have homework, but my boys are still in hockey every night, so that's keeping my evenings busy. But once that's over I am going to have so much more time on my hands! Good luck with everything :)
Photojunkie- yay!mi remember in chat you mentioned going back for the BSN, that's awesome that they are willing to accept more credits! Good luck next week :)

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
I finished last week! I can add BSN to my alphabet soup. :)
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

iloveyoualways

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »
I forgot my password and wasn't able to join. Congratulations Jen!
I'm in my final week of my preceptorship for a BScN. I can't wait to be done my second degree. But I'm not that young anymore. Photojunky good for you too. I know that you're tired of doing nights. I'm proud for all of us for persevering despite the hardships. I even won a Soroptimist Award that I receive in two weeks. It will pay for my tuition so my school will give me my Degree. It's been a long journey.

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Well, the semester is winding down in the next couple of weeks.  How is everyone doing?  I have finished all of my assignments for my dreaded technology class.  Quite honestly, it could have been much more rigorous and I could have learned a lot more.  But I have finished the work!  Yay!

I have one other class (Governance and Finance in Higher Education) and a long paper and a presentation to do before the semester is out.  I also need to wind up my practicum and write a long reflection on that, too.  But...there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Check in, everyone!  We can get through the last weeks!

Maureen
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
I will be finishing up Massage Therapy school on May 12th and sitting for my license exam on May 25th.  Woo hoo!  I'm starting to do some leg work to open up my own business.  I will start with just massage and then figure out the insurance part of adding my physical therapy also. 
You will forever be my always.

widowat33

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »
I have one week off, and then next week I will finish up with my last week at placement.
I love my placement, I wish there was a job available there :(
As for what's next...who knows...

bumbleb

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »
I graduate May 20th- BBA- Accounting-turning in my last few assignments this week and finals the 2nd week of May ;D
I started back to school 6 months (Mar. 2010) after DH death and it has taken me a little over 6 years to complete this journey. I am really glad to wrap this up, can't wait to get back my weekends.
I've been job hunting/interviewing but I haven't had any luck yet. My current department at the University is interested in keeping me, I'll have to register with a temp agency and they will bring me in, which is an option.
It will be interesting to see how my career future develops.

This life after your death is a strange journey. M 1973-2009

iloveyoualways

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 11:56:54 PM »
I'm done. DONE! Three weeks ago. I would not have believed it. It's been a really long and rough road to here. It still may take some time until our lives improve. But at least now it can.

Congratulations to those also finished their degrees or diplomas, or semester. To those still working hard: Keep on working on it. We are all stronger than we think.

Kater

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 03:02:10 AM »
A bit of a different perspective.....I teach at University.  The last grades were submitted yesterday, and so my 4 months off begin.  Normally, I am super happy about it.  This year, I am a bit terrified.  My husband died end of December, so I have been pushing through, pretty much focusing on getting the term done.  Not sure what is going to happen, or come up during this time off.  Kate

adp

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »
Hello Kate, you're not the only. TooSoon and I both teach at universities and there are probably others too. I know TooSoon is very much looking forward to her term being done this week (I'm in the UK and we work on a different timetable).

Mrskro

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »
I am truly in awe of all of you that have continued or started and finished new education.  I can barely handle grade 8 homework most days :P 

congrats to all of you that are finishing up!