Author Topic: Yeah, so Valentine's Day...  (Read 2757 times)

Quixote

Yeah, so Valentine's Day...
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
It's probably for the best that I'm working that day.  Might buy chocolate and eat it for her.  When she was around, I'd buy her nice stuff (there was a local chocolate shop in town that make their own).  She'd nip at me if I got to close to her when she was eating them.  We picked up a lot of interpersonal mannerisms from our various animals.

How about you guys?  How are you celebrating/surviving the day?

Captains wife

Re: Yeah, so Valentine's Day...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
I'm post CH 2 break up so am laying very low. My 5yr old son and I will just hang at home. The year before last I threw a single ladies Valentines Day dinner and it was a blast. Don't feel up to it this year. My husband always did something nice for me on VD- I know the holiday is way over materialized but it's nice to spoil a special someone in an extra special way that day. Sigh

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »
Homework.  Writing papers.  Sound romantic?

Maureen
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

blue

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »
It's going to be the first official Valentine's Day without him, although he wasn't aware of the day last year (he died on Feb 19). I'm going to do my best to ignore it.

widowat33

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:50:54 PM »
I am on night shift on Saturday, so I will probably be sleeping for part of it, then in the afternoon I'm heading to my youngests hockey game followed by my oldests hockey game in the early evening.
We never really made a big deal over valentines day though, the first couple of years when we were dating and first married he bought me flowers, but for a lot of our relationship he worked away so he was hardly ever home on the actual day. Instead he would just buy me random things on random days, and cards on every occasion even get well cards, I think I miss those the most!
Hoping everyone gets through the day unscathed, I'm just not checking Facebook that day so I don't have to see all the posts about how wonderful all my friends husbands are,lol!

Quixote

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:21 AM »
That's it, ain't it?  I mean, I hate to be that bitter guy but seeing all my friends cooing at each other on Facebook is a bit tough. Hell, I bring up my wife and I get *the look*.  You know it:  pity combined with "don't be such a downer, this is supposed to be a happy time".

SoVerySad

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:03 AM »
It is supposed to be very cold here. No Valentine to snuggle with. I told my kids they can invite friends over Sat. night. It makes me happy to see them happy, plus I figured it might give the parents of the kids who are coming time alone on that evening to celebrate. Sigh...
Without you, Baby, I'm not me.

Portside

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 06:04:31 AM »
The usual;

The grandkids will stay over and I'll be feeding them all the things their mother insists they are allergic to/can't have.
Make dinner and desert for them and my wife.
My wife will lead the kids and make valentine's cards for their parents and us.

Low-key but tons of fun.

Mike
The war is over for me now. But those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

gracelet

• Eerily Cheerily - upbeat but sarcastic musings of a young lesbian widow
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 08:19:08 AM »
I'm doing bottomless prosecco brunch with my widow bestie.  We'll no doubt have to sit amongst a sea of romantic couples but at least we'll be drunk.
Musings of this sarcastic but upbeat young widow can be read here : www.eerilycheerily.com

RobFTC

• Lost Michelle to ovarian cancer 2010/11/07
    • Celtic Journeys radio show
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »
It's me and the PVR this weekend, I think.  Maybe some Doctor Who on Netflix UK (shhh! :-)

I do have a 3rd date Tuesday, though.

Take care,
Rob T
There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.

Virgo

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:51:20 PM »
It's the season premiere of the Walking Dead. I'll be impatiently waiting in front of the TV. Ha! My new guy is spending the weekend with his kids in Myrtle Beach. We just started dating in January, so I'm somewhat relieved we're not going to be together for Valentines day.

Phil and I never celebrated Valentines day after we married.  We felt it was for dating couples.  Once we had a wedding anniversary to celebrate it had no meaning for us. We doted on our daughters on Valentines day instead.
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

sphoc

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
Enjoy, Rob! I'll most likely be working, but I never made a big deal about Valentine's Day to start with. It's just another day for me.

twistedmensa

• Embracing the suck since 1968!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
The kids will probably watch the Walking Dead, but I'm not much into gore...I've seen enough of it in real life. I will get them a small box of chocolates and a little stuffed animal, same as every year. I've become awfully boring in my old age...lol.

Lost35

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:50 AM »
Tomorrow I will blow the budget and take my little guy out for a heart-shaped pizza.

:)

daysofelijah

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »
Took my kids out for Valentine's lunch yesterday at Texas Roadhouse, yum. BF came over for a bit last night and we watched movies, but then dd woke up puking at 11 so he went home early. He just texted a sweet Valentine's good morning, but not expecting much else today. It's snowing and BF has been dealing with some health issues and woke up with a migraine this morning. We'll see, but I won't be too disappointed if he doesn't make it over for anything else. I bought little heart candy boxes for each of the kids, I'll try not to eat and of them, lol. Downtown Abbey and a quiet night alone wouldn't be too bad :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:27:33 AM by daysofelijah »
Amy, mom to four (14,13,9,5)