Sweet Sixteen bracket contest

Keep it all in this thread
4 (44.4%)
New contest - new thread
1 (11.1%)
Just about everything in the world is more important to me than this question
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: NCAA Men's Basketball - LET THE MADNESS BEGIN  (Read 13623 times)

AC

Re: NCAA Men's Basketball - LET THE MADNESS BEGIN
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
With the tourney officially underway, one thing is clear - ya just NEVER know what is going to happen!  With games down, it is time to give a huge shout-out to two contenders:

1.  ssm:  The woman who claims to not know a basketball from a watermelon has claimed the early lead in this years contest, accurately predicting 5 of the 6 winning teams.  WAY to go!  You are going to have to fess up  - did you really pick based on mascot?  I will soooooo crack up if you did.  ;D

2.  lcoxwell's 4th grade class:  I guess I should have thought more like a 4th grader if I wanted an early lead here - our own lovely miss Leslie is currently holding down second place, having chosen 4 of 5 winning teams.

Those that went with solid knowledge of the sport and ability of individual teams don't seem to be fairing as well.  Nor do some of us (like me ) who went with a combination of knowledge of the sport but not this years teams while tossing in a fair bit of "I WANT this team to win despite the odds so I will pick them".  The rest of the pack is pretty well tied - having predicted either 2 or 3 of the games successfully.

Now no one go getting too excited or too disappointed - this is MARCH MADNESS after all.  Next thing you know, Duke may lose in round 1 - right?  :o

This thread is too quiet - anyone actually watching these games???
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:42:18 PM by AC »

lcoxwell

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
Now no one go getting too excited or too disappointed - this is MARCH MADNESS after all.  Next thing you know, Duke may lose in round 1 - right?  :o

Bite your tongue, woman! (You know I love you, right?)  ;D
"The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude." - Thornton Wilder

Thank you, my dearest Kenneth, for loving me and for giving me the best 13 years of my life.

Kamcho

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
Darn it, I missed the sign up! Oh well. Go green!

AC

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »

Bite your tongue, woman! (You know I love you, right?)  ;D

And the trash talk begins - and seems to be effective in this particular contest.  The lovely miss Leslie is now tied for the lead!  WOOT!

For Kamcho and others - never to late to join in!  When the field has been narrowed from 64 teams to this year's sweet, sweet 16 we can always start a side contest.  I will keep reminders coming for those who express interest!  We can't let passion for the sport like "go green" just fall to the wayside!  ;)

Kamcho

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
Cool, thanks AC. I know nothing other than "Go Green!" Lol!

AC

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
HAHA - I threw my local smarties (haavad) under the bus cause, well, it's basketball and UNC and whatnot...

tied with less than a minute to go.  If I got this one wrong - OY

Lisa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »
unc almost busted my bracket. Madness.
"All the waves must reach the shore before the water calms"-Ray ♡

AC

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »
Some early upsets have handed a tough hit to a few of our contestants.  That one nearly got me as well.  MADNESS.

What is more mad (madder?  the madiest?)  Is that I failed to notice that Marian's picks are missing.  Marian - I am sorry.  Total brain malfunction.  Hope you will still join us when it gets down to the sweet 16!!!

I would report in on the current standings, but I think the lovely miss Leslie likely knows her students are spectacular all ready. :)

Lisa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »
There are akways upsets in these early rounds it is just hard to pick them!  I know its sillly to try and predict but it is fun.
"All the waves must reach the shore before the water calms"-Ray ♡

downinahole

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
DIAH awakens and, along with his trusty servant Patsy, rides to the widda board in anticipation of being hailed as the greatest NCAA tournament analyst to ever live.

On his way to the widda board, rumors run rampant. The master NCAA tournament predictor, DIAH, has not fared well. Catcalls of "Loser", "Idiot" and "Imbecile" is directed his way throughout his journey. He looks up and thinks he sees one of his competitors directly taunting him.

Undaunted, DIAH heads to the NCAA thread on the widda board and looks for AC, the head honcho of the thread and tournament organizer. He looks down at his busted bracket, sees his many wrong picks and becomes sad.

AC says to DIAH "Don't worry, today's a newt day"

DIAH says "...

AC blushes and says "Sorry,  a NEW day. Today is a NEW day and there is a lot of basketball left to be played"

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:37:05 PM by downinahole »

downinahole

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
Boy, I did really bad yesterday. Ain't this fun!  ;D

lcoxwell

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
DIAH, I LOVE your post (the one with Monty Python, not the one lamenting your bad day yesterday)!  That is one of my favorite movies ever!  :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:20:10 PM by lcoxwell »

Thank you, my dearest Kenneth, for loving me and for giving me the best 13 years of my life.

downinahole

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
Thanks. I did so bad yesterday, I can only laugh at myself. I might as well have fun with it and make up ridiculous post.  ;D

lcoxwell

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
All I have to say is: My students rock!  (If their picks keep winning, I may have to buy them pizza, or something).

AC

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
AC comes busting in and says "HEY DIAH!!!  Guess what?  You already got a point today!!!  A WHOLE point!  New Day!!!"

She doesn't mention that more than likely the entire field got that point.  Who wouldn't pick Kansas to beat New Mexico State???  You'd have to be really partial to NMS, AC thought silently.  She figured he needed a boost to his day.

AC claps wildly for DIAH (and everybody else).  Way to go!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:40:53 PM by AC »