Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4928 times)

TooSoon

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »
My stack keeps getting taller: on the free book stand at the gym, I found a copy of Don Quixote which, along with Brothers Karamazov and Middlemarch, is one that's always been on the list.  If only there was enough time! 

Still want to hear what others are reading as the to-read list can never be too long! 

Mizpah

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »
TooSoon, you're my bookclub soulmate.  Twistedmensa, I couldn't read anything after DH died except books about death and widowhood, and about the Holocaust.  Everything else seemed frivolous and too light-hearted.  adp, Ferrante is fantastic!

The Brothers Karamazov is one of the only books I've reread (and I've reread it several times).

I love the Eggers book about New Orleans (what was it? can't remember) and hated A Heartbreaking Work....  I've read a couple Colm Toibin books, but not that one.

Has anyone read Fates and Furies?

widowed 2011 (DH 28)

TooSoon

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
I have Fates and Furies on my shelf! 

If you loved Zeitoun and hated Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius then yes, book club soul mates! 

I dragged a copy of Brothers K around with me traveling one summer but was so obsessed with Paul Bowles at the time I never read it and must have abandoned my copy somewhere along the line. 

Mizpah, have you ever read Naguib Mahfouz's Cairo Trilogy?  It is another series and one I loved very much. 

Mizpah

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
Zeitoun!  Yes.  Exactly.  Completely. 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!  PAUL BOWLES!!!!  I've read every one.  And I love Mahfouz. 

Have you read The Alexandria Quartet?

(I'm not saying you'll love Fates and Furies.  If/when you read it, let me know what you think.  I have mixed feelings.)
widowed 2011 (DH 28)

TooSoon

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
Yes, I read the Alexandria Quartet a thousand years ago.  Andy just bought it and I should read it again.

I'm a bit of a Paul Bowles devotee.  Have you ever read any of the stories by his protege (not sure that's the right word to describe the relationship), Mohammed Mrabet?  Highly recommend!  I've got to get to Tangiers one of these days! 

Yes, that's why I haven't read Fates and Furies yet - lots of people say it is tough.  President Obama said it was his favorite book of 2015 which is how it wound up on my shelf.   

PS -- I've been reading your posts, Mizpah, over these years and so I wondered if you've ever read People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks? 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:46:27 PM by TooSoon »

Mizpah

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »
I haven't read People of the Book.

I hated Fates and Furies for much of it, and then at the end, loved it.  A friend of a friend wrote it, which is why I ended up reading it, but it was on the most "best of" lists last year....

I did read one of Mohammed Mrabet's collections but can't remember it now - it must've blurred in with all the Bowles.  Tangiers is beautiful but a bit upsetting - poverty.  (DH's parents are both Moroccan, and we always planned to go to find his grandfather's grave in Casablanca, but he didn't get there yet.)

Edited to say: I wrote "yet."  But he's dead.  So he didn't get there, period. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:50:04 AM by Mizpah »
widowed 2011 (DH 28)

TooSoon

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
It is a fictional account of the Sarajevo Haggadah (a real book) that traces its journey from Spain (where it was made) across time and place.  Its not a masterpiece but i enjoyed it.   

Justin

• Administrator
  • From KY to AZ, USA AKA:MissingMarsha
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »
On my last flight, I started re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert M. Pirsig.

It feels really good, because I haven't read much fiction since being widowed. It seemed too frivolous for a while, for some reason.
Marsha 1975-2014

"Love is the province of the brave"

MrsT85

• Global Moderator
  • Widowed by a car accident at age 27
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »
I hadn't chimed in on this thread because I read such comparably sophomoric literature :(  I just finished a new post-apocalyptic trilogy by an author I hadn't previously heard of names Hugh Howley called The Silo Series, and have Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age on deck for next.

Justin - it's been about 8 years since I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but isn't it a more of a combination of a memoir and a non-fiction philosophy book?  I definitely remember that it was non-fiction because of a simply devastating reveal that happens in the afterward that proves the book to be about the farthest thing from frivolous that I can think of....
Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face

Do You Realize??

01/12/1977-04/06/2013

Justin

• Administrator
  • From KY to AZ, USA AKA:MissingMarsha
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
[quote author=MrsT85 link=topic=2236.msg27853#msg27853 date=1461098743

Justin - it's been about 8 years since I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but isn't it a more of a combination of a memoir and a non-fiction philosophy book?  I definitely remember that it was non-fiction because of a simply devastating reveal that happens in the afterward that proves the book to be about the farthest thing from frivolous that I can think of....

Dang! You know what? You are right - it's been about 17 years for me, and for some reason I was thinking it was fiction. Now, I want to finish it even more!
Marsha 1975-2014

"Love is the province of the brave"

marjoe

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »
The whole Dune series, once again! It's better than the first time.

MrsT85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »

Another sci-fi fan, yay!  Now I feel more at home  :D

Do You Realize??

01/12/1977-04/06/2013

TooSoon

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »
I grew up in a Philip K. Dick household (my father has every single thing he's ever written in first edition) which could be, in part why my interests veered away from sci-fi. 

Keep on posting what you're all reading! 

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »

This was the first thing I read after Jim died. It was probably his all-time favorite series, and I wish I'd read it before he passed, because *he* made so much more sense to me after I read it. The week before he died, we finally watched the David Lynch movie-- I'd never seen it, even though I'd heard plenty about it from him. We were going to watch the SciFi channel miniseries version too, but we didn't get to it. :(
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

MrsT85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »
It's funny that the first thing you read was something just mentioned by another member.  The first thing I read after Tim died was a collection of Phillip K Dick essays - the author just mentioned by TS above!  I remember Tim saying that PKD wrote some of the most well-thought-out-but-totally-nuts theories on the nature of reality and even though a lot of the ideas seemed ridiculous on their face they really made him stop and think.  And once I got my concentration back enough to read anything, I thought some far-out ideas on the nature of reality and life-and-death was just what I needed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:40:31 PM by MrsT85 »

Do You Realize??

01/12/1977-04/06/2013