Author Topic: The Broadway Channel  (Read 20157 times)

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
The Broadway Channel
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »
I was raised by a classical musician: my dad is a choral conductor with a PhD in music education and most of a second in keyboard. He teaches theory, voice, piano, and organ. My mom was a professional soprano before she got married; my sister is a singer/songwriter. Music is and has always been integral to my life.

Growing up, we were only allowed to listen to classical music or my mom's stack of Broadway records. Consequently, I've been a fan of musicals forever, and even though I can't even identify currently popular artists, I can sing at least one song from just about every Broadway show since 1943. All right, that might be a slight exaggeration-- it occurs to me that I don't know anything from Starlight Express or Nine-- but the point is, musical theater is my paradigm, and I'm more likely to find something meaningful in some phrase by Sondheim or Schwartz than in any self-help book.

I've been threatening to do this for awhile. I don't expect anyone else to contribute, but please feel free to add anything you like from the Great White Way. I'm just putting links to songs that I find significant. I don't know... you might like some of them. :)

The way I've felt over the past few days, my first inclination was to start with "Learn to be Lonely," from the movie version of Phantom. But that's not where I want to be, so I opted for this one instead. It's sort of an overcoming adversity song from The Scarlet Pimpernel. Take the drama in stride, okay? It's theater. ;)

"Into the Fire": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXpo2WFbXA
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

MeAndTheKids

Re: The Broadway Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:58:19 PM »
I'm also a Broadway junkie, and had trouble picking just one to post but I'm going with 'Everybody Says Don't' from Sondheim's Anyone Can Whistle as a fitting follow up to your choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo7lGsjnJK4

PS:  Like you I can probably sing at least part of one song from most musicals (including Nine and Starlight Express) but I use the word 'sing' VERY loosely

anniegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:23:38 PM »
Yes, I love this!

When I was little, we had kid's records - old school Disney and stories - but my father hated pop music. I didn't own any contemporary music until jr high.

But I had my Mom's tiny collection of Broadway soundtracks and the storyteller in me loved stories that burst into song.

Love your links. And as I was trolling the side bars - found this one. A Sondheim from 1970. Company. Neil Patrick Harris is main character but a lot of other recognizable faces.

Song is called "Being Alive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-6TYlMnlo

Thanks for starting this thread, Jezzy!
This is not the droid you are looking for.

Gabzmom

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:48:25 AM »
I love musicals.  My daughter does as well.  Two years ago - soon after DH passed, she played this song over and over again.  I ended up surprising her with tickets to "Wicked" for her 14th birthday.   

https://youtu.be/3g4ekwTd6Ig
"I always knew looking back on my tears would bring me laughter, but I never knew looking back on my laughter would make me cry." ~Cat Stevens

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »
I love you guys!!! I honestly didn't think anyone would respond to this. Yay, I'm not the only musical geek out there! :D

Gabzmom, in my best moments, I almost think I can be determined enough to defy gravity. Wicked is almost always in my CD player in the car-- some songs make me cry too much to sing ("That Girl," "Because I Knew You"), but the rest can generally be counted on to boost my mood. It's so hard to choose, but it's probably my all-time favorite show.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I still love Into the Woods-- I remember seeing the original cast performing the title song on the Tonys many, many moons ago. I try very hard to keep this in mind: "No One is Alone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xaxP_kErTU
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

JacklessSally

• Some Bunny Loves you DB
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
There are several musicals that are classics that I have not seen yet, (pretty much everyone that you awesome people have mentioned). That being said, I was raised watching Danny Kaye musicals and Les Mis... Interesting mix huh.

The link is NOT a boost your mood song, so please use discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljijk2T8zV4

For a long time I have had to tune out this part of the production because it had made me think of a friend of mine from high school who over dosed, and then to the friends over the years that I just lost contact with. Now it has a far far different meaning to me.
B.H.S. 1-20-1974 - 11-13-2014

You will always be my Jack and I will always be your Sally. For we were simply meant to be.

MeAndTheKids

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
I'm a certifiable Sondheim freak (including getting on line at Lincoln Center at 3am back in the 80s for the Follies concert) and Being Alive and No one is Alone were the other two I thought about posting :)

Jen- Definitely go see the movie.  I've seen the show twice (the original and the Central Park revival) and they did a very good job in keeping the feel of the show. (and surprise surprise, unlike the Les Mis movie they could all sing).

Speaking of movies-  Last Five Years is worth seeing (its on pay per view channels) if you're in a place where you can handle a musical about a disintegrating marriage.

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »
Oh, yes. Les Mis definitely falls into the "sob my way through" category, sigh. But there's something to be said for catharthis... and I do love this song. ((((HUGS))))

I also adore Danny Kaye!! He was my fave math teacher ever in Merry Andrew-- "The square of the hypotenuse of the right triangle... " And sometimes I get his ruminations stuck in my head: "An inspector generally inspects-- that is, the Inspector General inspects generally... " Lol. Lord, that's obscure. No wonder people give me weird looks when I open my mouth... ;)

JacklessSally

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 07:53:18 AM »
I LOVED Hans Christen Anderson as a kid! I so want to watch it right now.. Hide under my covers and pretend im less than 10 again.

Ever seen some "alt" musicals, like Repo! The Genetic Opera or Devil's Carnival?

You will always be my Jack and I will always be your Sally. For we were simply meant to be.

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Oh, Sondheim! So many of my faves are his-- A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods... and if it's not my absolute favorite, it's in my top 5: Sunday in the Park with George. I love this show, and this is the most significant song in it. I couldn't listen to it for a long time-- the idea of moving forward was too painful, and being told to "move on" was downright insulting. (My mother told me one day, around two months out, that I needed to move on. I quite literally screamed at her, "NO I DO NOT!!!!!") But it speaks volumes to me now. The lyrics are so compelling to me:

Stop worrying where you're going-- move on.
If you could know where you're going, you've gone--
Just keep moving on.

I chose, and my world was shaken-- so what?
The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not...

The song is here, along with the lyrics: http://soundkrayons.blogspot.com/2010/04/songs-of-substance-move-on-by-stephen.html

I know the very title of the song could be triggering ("Move On"). Please don't think I'm telling anyone that they need to "get over it" or "move on" or anything like that. For me, this song says that we can't stand still, even when we desperately want to-- I never wanted to leave Jim behind, not for a minute, and the idea of moving forward in any way was completely repugnant. But the clocks keep ticking, the calendar keeps changing, week after week and month after month. I'm learning to bring Jim with me as I find my own way to move on.

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
I LOVED Hans Christen Anderson as a kid! I so want to watch it right now.. Hide under my covers and pretend im less than 10 again.

Ever seen some "alt" musicals, like Repo! The Genetic Opera or Devil's Carnival?

"Inch worm, inch worm,measuring the marigolds... " :D

Yes, I've seen both of those! Thanks to my "I am NOT a Goth!" daughter, we've watched them repeatedly. I do love me some Anthony Head... ;)

In fact... that triggers a sweet memory of my Jim. He was forever making up silly songs about this, that, or the other-- his cats were one of his favorite subjects ("Deck the halls with shaven kitties, fa la la la la... "). After we saw Repo! he started singing (I use the term loosely), "Kittens come in a little glass vial. A little glass vial? A little glass vial, and it's loaded in the gun like a battery... The gun goes off, and you're ready for surgery, surgery. Surgery, surgery... "

Lol. I know you had to be there, but it was so insane and adorable. He usually had a cat to use as a prop. Used to crack me up. 

JacklessSally

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:44:10 AM »
In fact... that triggers a sweet memory of my Jim. He was forever making up silly songs about this, that, or the other-- his cats were one of his favorite subjects ("Deck the halls with shaven kitties, fa la la la la... "). After we saw Repo! he started singing (I use the term loosely), "Kittens come in a little glass vial. A little glass vial? A little glass vial, and it's loaded in the gun like a battery... The gun goes off, and you're ready for surgery, surgery. Surgery, surgery... "

Lol. I know you had to be there, but it was so insane and adorable. He usually had a cat to use as a prop. Used to crack me up.

OMG that sounds adorable!!! B used to make up very Suessian poems or little songs. We had very silly men!

Carey

• Widowed 11/23/13 Joined YWBB 12/2/13
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
This is something I actually am starting to dip into, having NOT been exposed to it growing up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie version of Phantom (the one with Gerard Butler). I've watched it hundreds of times. Same with Les Mis and I've seen Into The Woods movie which I LOVED. Living in eastern NC theres not been many broadway opportunities lol.  Im reading Wicked now and have listened to the soundtrack but would love to see it. Tell me which ones I NEED to get started with, this is something I've always wanted to explore.
I can't look at the stars they make me wonder where you are. 
Stars.... up on heaven's boulevard
And if I know you at all
I know you've gone too far
 So I .... I can't look at the stars --Grace Potter

JacklessSally

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »
This is something I actually am starting to dip into, having NOT been exposed to it growing up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie version of Phantom (the one with Gerard Butler). I've watched it hundreds of times. Same with Les Mis and I've seen Into The Woods movie which I LOVED. Living in eastern NC theres not been many broadway opportunities lol.  Im reading Wicked now and have listened to the soundtrack but would love to see it. Tell me which ones I NEED to get started with, this is something I've always wanted to explore.

Jen, are you on this? Cause I need a homework list as well :)

anniegirl

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 09:39:16 AM »
Yesm Sondheim and it's interesting how song lyrics trigger different responses pre/post widowhood and even different at the different "stages" of our journeys.

I have always loved Into the Woods, but the Baker's story really changed for me after my LH died. The song he and Cinderella sing about how no one is alone even when they feel they are - actions ripple - is such a powerful one. And when he is holding his son at the end, wondering how he is going to go on, raise the boy alone and his wife's "ghost is coaching him - a killer at first but more hopeful and resonating as the years pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYI4UyPTxjA
This is not the droid you are looking for.