Author Topic: The Broadway Channel  (Read 19971 times)

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
Re: The Broadway Channel
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »
I went out to run some errands this morning-- guess what came on my stereo as soon as I turned the car on? Yep-- "Defying Gravity." Here are the lyrics that really resonate for me:

Glinda: You can have all you ever wanted...
Elphaba: I know... I don't want it-- no.
               I can't want it anymore...

Something has changed within me
               Something is not the same
               I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game
               Too late for second guessing
               Too late to go back to sleep
               It's time to trust my instincts
               To close my eyes... and leap
               It's time to try defying gravity...

This is the other one I have a hard time listening to... but it's so, so meaningful to me now, especially the first verse. "For Good" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsuiy824IuM
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
Broadway 101! Oooh, that's a hard one. I love them all-- some more than others, of course. The older stuff can seem hopelessly out of date, but it's still fun-- and some of those old performances, while very different from what we think of as "musical style" now, are amazing.

Here's how I started. As I said, I had a pile of my mom's records, and I devoured them. I watched the movies as often as I could on TCM and AMC, and on a few memorable occasions I actually got to see them in the theater. The best classic musical-to-movie adaptations:

My Fair Lady (FABULOUS movie, even if you're not into musicals-- Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison)
The Sound of Music (all over the media right now, it's the 50th anniversary)
Oklahoma! (must see!)
The Music Man (love love love!!!! You'd never expect Robert Preston to be a swoon-worthy leading man, but oh... )
South Pacific (a bit un-PC, and not my fave, but it's sort of a must-view from a history perspective)
Kiss Me, Kate (Ann Miller's legs are worth the price of admission. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_YAKZH3lw )
Damn Yankees! (Gwen Verdon's almost as good... not quite, but close)
Hello, Dolly! (Michael Crawford before he was the Phantom!)
Kismet
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (arguably better than the stage version, to be honest)
West Side Story (early Sondheim, and undeniably classic, but maybe too sad to watch)
Brigadoon
Camelot (NB: this is one of my top 5 favorite shows EVER, but the movies doesn't do it justice. Still, worth seeing.)
Chicago (much more recent, but EXCELLENT. I've never been a particular fan of Richard Gere, but in this one-- wow. Catherine Zeta-Jones will blow you away, and Queen Latifah--! They did a fab job with casting.)
Evita (Madonna and Antonio Banderas are definitely NOT Patti Lupone and Mandy Patinkin, but it's not a terrible adaptation)
Sweeney Todd (Go ahead and watch the Tim Burton one-- it's decent, and the cast is good-- but get hold of the Great Performances version with Angela Lansbury, who is the best Mrs Lovett EVER: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/469605/Sweeney-Todd-Video-Clip-Worst-Pies-In-London.html )
Little of Shop of Horrors (technically an off-Broadway show, and they changed the ending considerably, but it's still awesome-- same writers who saved Disney with The Little Mermaid. Menken and Ashman were brilliant.)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (again, not Broadway, but-- come on, Tim Curry in stockings!)
Annie (sorry, the Aileen Quinn version beats the recent remake hands-down-- Carol Burnett, Albert Finney, Ann Reinking, Bernadette Peters, and-- yes, again-- Tim Curry!)

There's a movie version of Wicked in the works. The musical bears only a passing resemblance to the book, by the way-- they're both excellent, but they're different animals.

So... short answer (too late!!!), start with the movies. Then jump into the soundtracks-- anything by Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, Andrew Lloyd-Webber (okay, not everyone will agree with me there, lol). I started getting the album for every show that won a Best Musical Tony. Then I started getting the ones that were nominated. It sort of snowballed from there... SO. MUCH. BROADWAY!!!

Anyway... it's a start. ;) Hth!

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Michael797

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »
What in hell.... a BROADWAY thread?!? You've got to be kidding me....

Ok, peeps - plug this one into your browser.

http://www.bluegobo.com/

May it ease your burdens as you see fit. Please enjoy.

Carey

• Widowed 11/23/13 Joined YWBB 12/2/13
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
LOL I've tried to pull myself "out of my feels" (as my teenager would say) while at work this afternoon and started playing the Phantom Soundtrack while my office mates eyes roll :P   Does it GET better than "All I Ask of You"???
I can't look at the stars they make me wonder where you are. 
Stars.... up on heaven's boulevard
And if I know you at all
I know you've gone too far
 So I .... I can't look at the stars --Grace Potter

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 03:45:16 PM »
What in hell.... a BROADWAY thread?!? You've got to be kidding me....

For your information, I did consider putting it up on Radio Hell, but decided the manager might react... well, like this. :P

Ok, peeps - plug this one into your browser.

http://www.bluegobo.com/

May it ease your burdens as you see fit. Please enjoy.

Oh, oh, oh!! I forgot Gypsy!!!! Has there ever been a decent film version? There was the TV movie they did with Bette Midler... Meh. :-\

Does it GET better than "All I Ask of You"???

Oh... I love that song. Always wanted someone to play that song for me, and mean it. Still do, pathetic as that is. Damn it. Crying now.

Mr C

• It's Your Heart
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 04:28:53 AM »
Jen, I needed this thread. I am going through Broadway song withdrawals now that my daughter has moved to New York.

I have to start with music from Phantom of the Opera due to the significance to my family. My official proposal to my wife was on the night we went to see Michael Crawford in The Phantom of the Opera in Los Angeles. A little over a decade later I took our daughter to see Phantom in Seattle. Her life was forever impacted by this first musical she ever saw.

"Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" with Sierra Boggess as Christine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRNjnpM7y4
Mrs.C, You have been my Sweetheart, Best Friend and Love since 1987. You will be my Wife forever and ever and ever. Love Always, Mr. C

Gabzmom

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »
OKay - I think I need to make a list of the shows I am going to stream.  Planning to see If/Then when it comes to Seattle later this year as it ends this weekend. 

Love "Les Miz"  - saw it many years ago.
I don't understand a lick of opera but watched some of the kids in the Regional Solo & Ensemble competition.  A young girl sang a beautiful aria.  Just beautiful and it made me want to cry...

Just saw the additonal posts in the thread, Just Jen.  We have all the movie versions of Rogers & Hammerstein - my DD got a box set when she was 4.  Their version of Cinderella with Leslie Ann Warren is my absolute fave!

Purchased a vinyl album at the Goodwill for my daughter - Auntie Mame.  Looking for more because she is so into musicals and shows. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:09:47 PM by Gabzmom »
"I always knew looking back on my tears would bring me laughter, but I never knew looking back on my laughter would make me cry." ~Cat Stevens

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
Oh, I was going to add that version of Cinderella to the list. We did that one my junior year in high school-- I was Portia, the klutzy stepsister. I had to learn to prat-fall all over the stage. It was a blast!

There's a Great Performances recording of Cats out there somewhere-- I've heard they're going to make a big-budget Hollywood version. Of course there's the Jesus Christ, Superstar movie as well, and the Donny Osmond Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

anniegirl

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
Cinderella (sigh). And this clip for the "escape artists" lurking. Lesley Ann Warren, My Own Little Corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdn7nEhEZo

And this, from The Sound of Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetJAFogqE4
This is not the droid you are looking for.

Gabzmom

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
Cinderella (sigh). And this clip for the "escape artists" lurking. Lesley Ann Warren, My Own Little Corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdn7nEhEZo

And this, from The Sound of Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetJAFogqE4

Love both of those!  I watched Julie Andrews and Diane Sawyer return to Austria last night.  Sigh...
"I always knew looking back on my tears would bring me laughter, but I never knew looking back on my laughter would make me cry." ~Cat Stevens

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
I can't listen to the one from Sound of Music-- just seeing the link made me start crying. I sang that to Jim, once upon a time. I keep wondering if I'll ever have a reason to sing it again... and then I think I have no business thinking such a thing. Sometimes this whole thing really, really hurts.

So here's my anecdote (warning, language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ALzUGZsOQ

anniegirl

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:10:59 PM »
Oh, I am sorry. Didn't mean for that, Jen. I stumbled on it and haven't heard it in years.

On a brighter note, my nearly 13 yr old has discovered musicals on YouTube. I have been trying to nudge her for years but after she saw the movie version of Into the Woods, she began looking for it on YouTube and discovered the play and today - Wicked. I feel like a total success as a parent now.

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
Please don't apologise! It's a beautiful song-- it's not in the stage show, but when we did it (I was Mother Abbess, years and years ago-- no, I do not sing "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," ever!) we put it in anyway, because it's just such a lovely, moving scene. I would give anything to have that again, you know? I mean... I wasn't a terrible person, and I really felt as though Jim and I deserved each other, deserved to be happy. Then this happened. So do I still hang onto the idea that "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good"?

I know there's no answer to that. And there's nothing wrong with having a good cry over a song. That's why I love Broadway, it encompasses the whole range of human emotion in such a meaningful way (for me). I'm probably not saying this very well-- but I love that I can find a song for literally *any* occasion. So many times the songs speak for me, and I love them for that.

As far as a parenting win, yes-- I think you can claim one. I certainly do-- my daughter and youngest son troll YouTube for shows. The other night we watched Spamalot on our smart TV via YouTube. How cool is that?? :)

anniegirl

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
That's why I love Broadway, it encompasses the whole range of human emotion in such a meaningful way (for me). I'm probably not saying this very well-- but I love that I can find a song for literally *any* occasion. So many times the songs speak for me, and I love them for that.

I am a lyrics person. I will asked, "How can you listen to this or that?" and it's not always a show tune but it is always because there is a phrase, line(s) or the whole damn thing that just speaks a truth for me about something.

Weirdly, my two go to's during the months leading up to LH"s death and the year following were the musical episode from season six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Once More with Feeling) and Moulin Rouge.

Sometimes emotions need words that have to be sung.

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
You're exactly right. The words have always been so, so important to me.

In the aftermath of Jim's death, I found that my voice was gone. Not literally, but I couldn't sing. Not even "Happy Birthday," and it broke my heart all over again. Losing him, losing the life we had, losing the music on top of that-- I was terrified that it would never get better.

It took months, and some encouragement from one compassionate soul, but I gradually began to regain my voice. I started with Frozen and-- yep-- Once More, With Feeling. :)

I'm a huge Buffy fan, and I *love* that episode. I have the soundtrack, and that's the first thing I was able to sing through-- I was about 7 months out. So much of it resonated with me, but Spike stopped me (forgive me) dead:

Life's not a song,
life isn't bliss,
life is just this--
it's living.
You'll get along.
The pain that you feel
you only can heal
by living.
You have to go on living...
So one of us is living...

It was as if Jim was singing it himself (and he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it). My heart stopped. I think... maybe... that was the day I realised I had to keep going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uH26GlWeo

Spike sings at 3:41.