Author Topic: The Broadway Channel  (Read 21253 times)

anniegirl

Re: The Broadway Channel
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »
So much in season six resonated.

Spike when he's telling Buffy how long she was gone,

Buffy: How long was I gone?
Spike: Hundred and forty-seven days yesterday. Uh, hundred and forty-eighttoday. Except today doesn?t count, does it? How long was it for you? where you were?
Buffy: Longer.

Spike's intervention when Buffy is dancing for the song demon.

Willow's rage after Tara dies and Zander reaching through it to pull her back.

Watched those episodes - sometimes just scenes - over and over.

Maybe we need a thread for tv/movie characters too? So much of what comes out of Hollywood is just plain fiction where grief is concerend (understandably b/c we want happy endings, snappy/witty dialogue b/c anything else is too scary) but there are the occasional spot on's.

Joss Whedon just "got it". Cordelia's goodbye to Angel, for example. Willow's hesitancy with Kennedy. Joyce's death in season five. Powerful stuff.

This is not the droid you are looking for.

Timegoesby

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »
I wasn't sure I would sign up here, thought I would just read every now and again,  but then I saw this thread and thought, "My people!"

Brief widow/musicalsjunkie bio -- ywbb board member (hispie) late,2005, four months after my DH died (brain tumor, benign. yeah right) . He was 49. I didn't post much, but made friends and felt very attached. Still keep up via Facebook. Almost 10 years later, time goes by and I'm Still Here, which brings me to my musicals portion of this tome . . . I don't remember a time in my life without musicals playing in the background. I met my bff when we were 8 and I happened upon her dancing in her garage to Dites Moi. Our family always had season tickets to the Civic Light Opera, and when I was 14 the original touring production of Company came through. I became an obsessed Sondheim fan. 16,000 days later, I still am, so it's a joy to see the love here.

There are so many memories bound up in musicals with my DH. The first time he asked me out--knowing nothing about me--it was to Bubbling Brown Sugar. He couldn't believe I'd already seen it. He was definitely a keeper. Too bad that wasn't to be. But we got married young and had 25 years together. I am ever grateful.

It was marvelous to know you
And it's never really through.
Crazy business this, this life we live in-
Can't complain about the time we're given-
With so little to be sure of in this world,
We had a moment!
A marvelous moment!
A beautiful time . . . .

WIth So Little to Be Sure Of
Anyone Can Whistle

My Buffy knowledge is a major fail. However, to not completely hijack from the last post, I offer this from Josh Weedon:
"I always want to sort of explode everything I'm looking at. I think I'm going to alienate the horror audience on a grand scale -- but one of the reasons why I love Stephen Sondheim more than any other writer is that every song he writes has a purpose. It's not just to entertain. It's usually a mediation on the kind of song that it is... as well as being brilliant."

Carry on!

(May 2 I see Fun Home on Broadway. Can't wait!)
Time goes by everything else keeps changing
You and I we get continued next week
Old Friends, Stephen Sondheim

Mr C

• It's Your Heart
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
For all you Julie Andrews fans, here is a 1956 live performance of "I Could Have Danced All Night"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X269B9gLwz0

My Fair Lady premiered on Broadway March 15, 1956 with Rex Harrison as Professor Henry Higgins and Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle. The show was a hit and had a record run (at the time) of 2,717 performances through September 1962. It won the Tony Award for best musical in 1957 and Rex Harrison won the Tony for best performance by a leading actor that year.

Ces and I saw My Fair Lady at the Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, CA in March 1991. After the show we heard the stuffy older crowd complaining about ?the same old rendition.? Sorry, but we were a couple of college kids seeing the show for the first time and loved the traditional playing. It was a special treat to see Henry Higgins played by Noel Harrison, the son of Rex Harrison. He even had some of the props that his father used in the original Broadway rendition.
Mrs.C, You have been my Sweetheart, Best Friend and Love since 1987. You will be my Wife forever and ever and ever. Love Always, Mr. C

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »
It was a special treat to see Henry Higgins played by Noel Harrison, the son of Rex Harrison. He even had some of the props that his father used in the original Broadway rendition.

I love this show so much. One of my first performances ever was to sing "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" in a talent show when I was 8 years old. How awesome to see Noel Harrison as Prof Higgins!

This is the mood I'm in today, sad to say:

"You Oughta Be Here With Me," from Big River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNPKGnLx7Ao

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/b/bigriverlyrics/yououghtabeherewithmelyrics.html
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
As the day drags on... this keeps echoing in my head. For the record, I do not love this song. But I can't stop thinking it. :(

"Learn to be Lonely," from the movie version of Phantom-- can we say melodramatic? Sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPwUPG0Ac-k
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Mr C

• It's Your Heart
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 03:29:57 AM »
For Mrs. C, I am posting from the movie version of West Side Story which she loved. This song popped in my head last month while thinking of her. I am trying to keep the faith that there is a time and place for us, SOMEWHERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQMgCy-n6U&list=RD-BQMgCy-n6U
Mrs.C, You have been my Sweetheart, Best Friend and Love since 1987. You will be my Wife forever and ever and ever. Love Always, Mr. C

Carey

• Widowed 11/23/13 Joined YWBB 12/2/13
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 07:39:06 AM »
As the day drags on... this keeps echoing in my head. For the record, I do not love this song. But I can't stop thinking it. :(

"Learn to be Lonely," from the movie version of Phantom-- can we say melodramatic? Sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPwUPG0Ac-k
[/quote
This is driving me crazy because I thought I knew the movie version of Phantom by heart, but I can't for the life of me remember what scene this song was in?
I can't look at the stars they make me wonder where you are. 
Stars.... up on heaven's boulevard
And if I know you at all
I know you've gone too far
 So I .... I can't look at the stars --Grace Potter

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
It wasn't actually in the show, but it was played during the end credits. It sort of blows my mind that it's Minnie Driver singing it.

"Child of the wilderness" doesn't strike me as especially Phantom-y, but I often feel like a kid who got lost in a vast, impenetrable forest, frantically looking for a way back to civilization. I'm desperately trying to come to terms with the fact that no one is coming to look for me. I don't think I can ever learn to love this life. :-/

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 10:00:35 AM »
I am trying to keep the faith that there is a time and place for us, SOMEWHERE.

I've thought of this song many times too. Hugs.

MeAndTheKids

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
If anybody is interested in a light romantic comedy (musical) try 'She Loves Me'.  The PBS version is on YouTube, and its based on the same story that 'You've Got Mail' was based on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db_HreIe5pY&index=1&list=PLH_T6e2eBE0OSbtQTlw8JngsxO9Cqc1HA

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 12:38:25 AM »
I've been listening to Big River a lot lately-- several of the songs resonate; tonight it's this one.

"Waitin' for the Light to Shine": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3X_Mh393m8

The song appears twice in the show-- the first (slow) part is the one I prefer right now. The reprise is more upbeat and determined... fabulous, but I'm just not there tonight.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:21:32 PM by Just Jen »

Jess

• Administrator
  • AKA Jezzy
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
Okay, wading into this thread. I love musicals!  This is a song from The Secret Garden I listened to often once I could handle hearing music again called "How Could I Ever Know" sang mostly from the point of view of a deceased wife, but eventually dueting with the widower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JryHMQCLB3Y
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good. - Unknown

Don't be concerned about being disloyal to your pain by being joyous. - Hazrat Inayat Khan

Joe: 1979- 7/2014

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
I love The Secret Garden-- I got to see it in Chicago a long, long time ago. It's still the one show I can't listen to. I tried-- I made it through three tracks before dissolving into helpless sobs. But I hear Rebecca Luken singing that song over, and over, and over in my head. And Mandy Patinkin: "How in the world, tell me, how in the world, can I live without your love? Why on the earth, tell me, why on the earth, should I stay now that you are gone?"

I'm having a bit of a bad day. I'm trying very hard to hold on:

"Hold On" (Secret Garden): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiJ7CLu3zDI

(The song starts at :50 or so.)

Mr C

• It's Your Heart
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
At one month out, I went to see my daughter perform in Secret Garden. That was pure agony; I sobbed through it and had to look away when she wasn't on stage. She had six performances in total. Fortunately, she let me off the hook from going to any of the others. Even now, while playing both songs posted from the show above my brain was in protective mode and tuning them out.

Jen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Oh, Jerald, I am so, so sorry. I can't even listen to the CD; I can't imagine actually seeing the show. Especially since your dd was in it-- you had to be so proud of her, but at the same time-- My heart would have been lacerated to ribbons. ((((((HUGS)))))))