Author Topic: Where is my mind?  (Read 5739 times)

Blue14

Where is my mind?
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
I went to the gym today for a run. After I finished, my glasses weren't on the little shelf thing on the treadmill where I put them. I started looking and eventually had to get someone who works there to help me try to look under the treadmill and over the front where they could have fallen to the floor below. No joy and I was starting to feel a bit frantic. Then the woman on the next treadmill asks if I'm looking for a pair of glasses. They were on her treadmill. I had completely forgot that I started on that one and switched because the belt felt a bit dodgy. I know this normal, or as normal as anything is right now, but I seem to be doing stuff like this all the time these days. I miss my brain. 

Jess

• Administrator
  • AKA Jezzy
Re: Where is my mind?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
I think I say the phrase "I miss my brain" every single day still. I am told it comes back and to some degree it has in some areas, but I am am nowhere near where I once was. So frustrating!

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good. - Unknown

Don't be concerned about being disloyal to your pain by being joyous. - Hazrat Inayat Khan

Joe: 1979- 7/2014

Blue14

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Thanks. It helps to hear it's not just me. I've just realized I forgot to feed my dog. :::head desk:::

BrokenHeart2

• Widowed 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:48:22 AM »
No it's definitely not just you. Give it time and it will come back eventually. I'm still waiting lol.
I don't want it to be his legacy that his death destroyed me.
I need to honour his life by rebuilding my life.

swilson

• Widower since Sept. 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:52:45 AM »
Glad you found the glasses, like you I miss my pre widower mind. I quit pouring tea into a used milk jug after I poured tea on my cereal one morning not so long ago  ???
~ she's gone to Heaven so I've got to be good, so I can see my baby when I leave this world ~

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »
Once we get the "WARNING: Driver has wid brain" bumper stickers finalized, we need to mail them out with every registration. I decided this morning that I needed to start making lists in order to keep up with all the things I need to accomplish. Found a little notebook I could keep up with, sat down to make my "to do" list for the day... couldn't remember a dang thing I meant to put on it. @@
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

Justin

• Administrator
  • From KY to AZ, USA AKA:MissingMarsha
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »
This happens to everyone, unfortunately. My best suggestion is to come up with a simple reminder system and always use it - don't trust your memory.

For me, this includes a to-do list synced between my Google calendar and smartphone, that allows me to set alarm reminders. I've also been known to leave myself Post-it notes on the dash of my car or by the coffee maker.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:26:42 AM by Justin (MissingMarsha) »
Marsha 1975-2014

"Love is the province of the brave"

sdarrah1130

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
I keep a steno pad and pen with me at all times and write everything down. 

I actually started this when my husband was in the hospital to make sure I understood what the doc's were saying. 

Sandy - E's wife
Sandy - E's Wife

"My Darlin, you are wonderful tonight......"

LostMyCharles

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
My brain has started switching words on me. I'll be saying something to my daughter like "You need to brush your hair" and end up with "You need to brush your homework."  Cracks her up, but makes me want to stop talking lest I say something really oddball, and in the wrong company!
"He was my North, my South, my East and West..." W.H. Auden

My love is with you always, Charles. 6/29/66 - 12/08/14

amy0520

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
I thought there was only baby brain, until this whole widow thing happened. I seem to forget what day it is most of the time! I'm hoping it eventually gets back to "normal."
I wish I could turn back the clock. I'd find you sooner and love you longer.

donswife

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
Its so true this brain dead part. I was driving to a close friends house , something I had done tons of times and got lost
took me a bit to get back on the right track . Losing keys that are really right where I put them just didnt see them there two seconds before. so you are not alone at all and yes list have become my new best friend (when I remember to bring them :)
My everything

mixelated

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 12:46:25 AM »
I had been keeping myself productive both at work and home. with the Bullet Journal method for about six months before my husband died. Looking at it, it's like a textbook example of a disorganizing brain event.

Before: tidy lists and columns, checkmarks, thorough notes, organized progress. After: scrawls all over the page, no dates, forget the bullets, no checkmarks, days at a time skipped. I can't even remember where my bullet journal notebook is half the time. 

canadiangirl

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »
Not just you!  Still looking for it!   I keep trying to put pantry items in the fridge and fridge items in the pantry.  It keeps things interesting, if not "fresh".   :)

BrokenHeart2

• Widowed 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
Just don't put the sour cream in the dishwasher!  I did lol
I don't want it to be his legacy that his death destroyed me.
I need to honour his life by rebuilding my life.

DrMommy

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »
Yep....I call it trauma brain. I am a year and a half out and still patiently await the return of my memory!
Reality has set...thawing out....re-engaging in life.