Author Topic: Impulsive Home improvements  (Read 3830 times)

marjoe

Re: Impulsive Home improvements
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
April, I did this too, but did it on the cheap. I painted every room in my house over the years. I haunt thrift stores. I took what I had, but changed everything around, furniture, pictures, pillows - that alone seems to make a difference, in that it changed the way I looked at each room. Hmm. I seem to be using past and present verbs here at whim, but I guess it's because "it's" an ongoing process.

lovelorne

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
We had done a reno that lasted 8 years, until he passed.  There was literally nothing left to do except the roof.  I sold the house (after 2 years), lived in an apartment for a while, and bought a house for me and the BF.  The house is solid, not fancy, but the yard is enormous and nothing but grass.  I'm going to slowly transform it into paradise. 

FYI trees on the cheap:  arborday.org.  10 free trees! 

MACC

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 09:40:10 PM »
I went overboard, hired contractors and spent way to much money.  Wish I would have waited a year or two before i made such big financial decisions. Hope its worth it in the end as far as home value and upkeep.
We love you to the moon and back!

MR

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
We already started reno on our  basement and had to stop due to her hospitalization. Finally told contractor to start again so that I can finish it as dry walls were done and it is mess everywhere. I am 3 month out but still can't find any energy to do work. I have decided to hold all major decisions for 6 months. Have 2 cars and paying insurance but don't want to take hasty decisions not sure if I am doing right or not.

MACC

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 10:01:27 PM »
If I could do things over I would wait. House looks much better but the money could have been used towards paying off my mortgage sooner. I think it's smart that you are taking your time.

It's stuff we had wanted to do. Once it was done I was sad that he isn't with me and kids to enjoy it. Bittersweet.
We love you to the moon and back!

RyanAmysMom

• Seek joy.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 11:57:06 PM »
I'm new around here - and was just gonna lurk, but then started reading this thread -
My DH passed almost 18 months ago - We had been renting our home for about 6 years before he passed, and I decided that I wanted to buy the house, so I did!  And since then, I've invested most of his life insurance money into renovations - I'm really starting to worry about my spending......  (kinda)

So far, I've gutted the kitchen and family rooms, re-floored, painted, took out walls and several cabinets.... bought new furniture....  it's kinda out of control.... 

But at least I'm not alone!  :) 

Jennica

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 09:33:53 PM »
I'm so glad I found this post. My husband did everything. He was the handyman, the mechanic,  the lumberjack. I don't know whether to stay or not in this house. I have 9 acres, a wood burner, and a long driveway to plow. At times I am gunho to stay and take it all on. I have asked my BIL to teach me how to use a chainsaw. I will be learning this spring/summer. I need to do improvements. My husband had started but he had a long list. I want to be able to fix a lot of it myself. I have watched YouTube videos on how to change faucets and leaky pipes. That's going to be something I tackle this spring break.
Loved reading the posts. It helps to know that I'm not alone.

Momtojandj

• Widowed since 10/2012 . Living in NJ
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 07:08:00 AM »
Four plus years since hubby died. At first I went on a painting spree , mostly to keep busy . Family room was brought up to code and fixed . Now kitchen is being redone. Some of the reasons I've done work to house is because it really needed to be brought up to date , and I needed to have projects . I had thought of moving , but with housing market not great , I'm hoping investing money in the house will pay off in long run.
It is bittersweet , the house looks nothing like it did when hubby was alive , but it's a new start I guess for the house and me .
"To love another person is to see the face of God "

TofinoMan

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 07:40:09 PM »
A few renos turned into an addition and largely redoing my entire house after a giant tree fell on it.
And what is a new house with a giant new garage added on.
So hey since I've gone this far lets add decks and dig out the old pool and put in a fancy new pool to.
Be careful starting a reno...they tend to expand quickly into a massive reno.  :)
I have a daughter named Boo, a dog called Stick, and a truck named Zane Grey. My neighbors think I am nuts when they hear me yell Boo and Stick get in Zane.
Best part is neighbors leave the crazy guy alone.....

Adventureland

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
My husband died while we were in the middle of moving to a new home, so I'm keeping on with the renovations we had planned--two baths so far and a kitchen coming up. He had been in favor of redoing the kitchen before we moved in; I thought we should live with the space for awhile before deciding what to do with the kitchen. While we were talking about it, he said, "I don't want to live through another kitchen renovation." That will always stick with me.

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
My second husband and I were also renovating our house.  We had just completed an extensive landscaping project that turned our weed pit of a back yard into a huge patio with walls and paths, completely xeriscaped and low-maintenance.  He died unexpectedly 2 months later.  We sat out on our new furniture a total of 10 minutes, as it was December when the furniture arrived and we had been out of state traveling.

I have some regrets that I sank so much money into this house/yard that I will never get back upon selling it.  It was our little forever home...except we didn't even get 3 years of being married. 

My advice to you, Adventureland (although you haven't asked for it!) is to think hard about what you want before making investments.

Hugs,

Maureen
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

kjs1989

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
Haha...I am the crazy widow on the circle everyone is probably talking about.

Less than two years after D died I did an addition to the entire side of my house...another 500 sq feet. Yep, it cost a lot of money, but it was something D and I talked about, but he hedged and hedged and hedged. So I did it. I just did it.

I sometimes think I did it  mostly because I needed a distraction and something to focus on other than grief. I needed to know I COULD do it on my own. It was not too bad, some challenges along the way, but the contractors were great really, and we had fun and laughs. I looked forward to them showing up bright and early every morning. It was a relief  when it was done, but I actually sorta missed the hub bub.

And best of all,  have a master ensuite to swoon in now.