Author Topic: When panic sets in (hope you'll laugh with me!)  (Read 1147 times)

arneal

• The Starving Activist
When panic sets in (hope you'll laugh with me!)
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »
So I decided to try online dating. I'd never considered doing such a thing before, but realized being alone was not for me. I joined a few of the larger sites for free as well as some lesser known ones. I was copying and pasting profiles all over the place  :D

I got a message from a guy on one site and was intrigued enough to pay for a month's service (it was one of those that limited your functionality if you had a free account). We've been talking and texting ever since.

We are both feeling quite a bit of attraction and all of a sudden he's talking real serious ... like marriage type stuff. And you guessed it: I've panicked!

Has anyone else been through this? I'd love to hear the good, bad, and otherwise  :-[
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b

serpico

Re: When panic sets in (hope you'll laugh with me!)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »
I think in this situation you SHOULD panic.  I'm not saying you should run for the hills, but this fella needs to pump the brakes a little bit.
'I think I got some of your pickle'

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
Yeah, I thought so as well. I have said as much :) There are those stories out there, though ... I guess it's one of those things of erring on the side of caution combined with wanting a happily ever after  :D
Andree'

Mizpah

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
We've been talking and texting ever since.

We are both feeling quite a bit of attraction and all of a sudden he's talking real serious ... like marriage type stuff.

Have you met this person?  If not, I think this is madness.  Even feeling attraction in the absence of meeting - what does it mean?  I'm not saying you can't be attracted to someone's mind, but....

I say meet this person ASAP, and be cautious.  "Talk is cheap," especially when facing a menu of potential mates, from the safety of behind a computer/phone. 
widowed 2011 (DH 28)

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
That is true. It's been video since we are at a distance. Still planning the in-person. Let me clarify -- I don't mean like 'Hey, let's get married right now' ... I mean just exploring the conversation, like would I consider it in future.

Sorry if I caused more panic with my panic!
Andree'

Captains wife

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Its nice that you found a connection but I would proceed with caution. While online dating has its positives (I met my LH online on Match!) and I have used it since, I would be generally wary of anyone getting into any type of serious relationship talk too fast, especially if you haven't met in person. It could be this guy is a "relationship" guy so some guys move faster than others (and it could be that he has honorable intentions), especially if they meet someone they like. But protect yourself too ! Remember it does tend to be all roses at the beginning but its important to take time to get to know someone. But in the meantime, have fun !!

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
Great points, Captain's Wife! I tend toward cautious and have my 'sisters in arms' looking out for me. Thank you for mentioning the 'relationship' guy -- from our conversations I get the impression he is one of those. He is also a widower (longer than I) and I think he's looking for serious. I don't have a problem with that. The more I read here and elsewhere, there is that notion of looking for the hook-up and looking for the serious, so knowing where he's coming from is good as well.
Andree'