Author Topic: Taking a small amount of ashes on a plane  (Read 123 times)

Leadfeather

Taking a small amount of ashes on a plane
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
I will be heading on a trip at the end of February. I would like to take a small amount of my wife's ashes with me to spread while I am on the trip. Any suggestions of the best way to do so without running into trouble at the airport?
Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.
-Corrie Ten Boom

jeudi

Re: Taking a small amount of ashes on a plane
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
I took a small amount of my LH's ashes with me to the Virgin Islands. I put them in a clear baggie and labeled them "cremated remains" and nobody seemed to care. I had the TSI agents view them on x-ray in my carry on and they said nothing. Also watched as customs agents in BVI pull them out of my bag and put them back in. I don't think that ashes are so unusual as to cause a stir.

jgib

• to be, to know, to lose
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
I took me husbands ashes to Australia to spread. (Actually his best working dogs ashes were in there with him.)  I had a letter, from the funeral home saying what they were but I was never asked for it.  I can’t even remember if they even asked what they were.
I put them in my carry on, good thing as my other luggage was lost for 3 days.....

Loxlie

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:57:40 AM »
I was given a letter by the funeral home to present at the airport. I haven't taken a flight yet, so I don't know if it's really needed.

donswife

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 06:35:39 AM »
A friend of mine brought some of my husbands ashes to Alaska
I had a copy from the funeral home about the ashes but he never needed to use it
You could call the airport and ask what they recommend
My everything

hachi

• Widowed 7-6-2012 YWBB Joined 6-10-2013 Loc:NH
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
I have taken a small urn with me on every trip I have taken over the last few years, in a carry on bag. Never been asked about it. I do have the paper somewhere but never think to bring it until I am already standing in the security line!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.      ~ A. Einstein

klim

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »
Flown a few places with them ( to spread in different locations) and have never been questioned. The only thing I would advice is find a box or a bag for them, not a tin. I'm not sure who gave me that advice but i guess it was for during x-rays/ metal detectors it wouldn't set off a red flag.