Author Topic: Celebration tinged with sadness  (Read 1172 times)

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
Celebration tinged with sadness
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:24:51 AM »
My middle son graduated high school yesterday.  I'm very proud of him and so excited to see what the future holds in store for him.  I did pretty well at the graduation but after I was so emotional, his Dad should be here, beaming with pride, standing next to me and celebrating our child.  I'm sad for my son, I'm sad for Tim that he is not here to see him, and I am sad for me.  No one will ever share the love, pride, stress and anguish of parenting these 3 children with me again.  So today I wake up with puffy eyes and go back to my life and doings what needs to be done, solo parenting as best as I can.
You will forever be my always.

Captains wife

Re: Celebration tinged with sadness
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »
Sorry - you must be so proud but I know that feeling....I'm sorry its so tough. Its not fair at all...this solo parenting - and we keep facing life's milestones without the other parent. (This is different but I am about to throw a big birthday for my son who is turning 5 and even making the plans and thinking about my husband not being there makes me all teary). You are doing so well, with 3 kids...you should feel proud of yourself as well : )

TooSoon

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
Congratulations on your son's graduation!  Yes, of course, milestones are hard but also cause for celebration!  It isn't fair or right that your Tim wasn't there but YOU got him there and YOU were there to celebrate and that's what we promised we would do and that's what our kids need.  That is worth celebrating in its own right!  I think you are pretty amazing!  Big hugs! 

trying2breathe

• Widowed August 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »
Congratulations on your son's graduation!  It's so emotional to go through the milestone events with our kids, at times I find myself beaming with pride and crying at the same time.       
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

April

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
I am with you.. my oldest son graduates from high school next friday.. it will definitely be a tear jerking event for me.

I feel the same as you.. no one will appreciate, love and rejoices our kids the way he and I do/did.. so I will stand alone.. crying because I'm proud.. because my baby is all grown up.. and for grievance of my parental partner along with you <3

Congratulations to you and your son for reaching this mile stone!! 

Tatianakm

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
Congratulations to your son and you! This is such an important milestone and first step into adulthood. It so heartbreaking that the only person you would like to share this proud moment could not be there!
I too was invited to attend my nephew's commencement ceremony this past Sunday. Where the time went: seems like yesterday this kid was sitting on my lap and giving me fish kisses and now was graduating from one of the elite prep schools in Philadelphia. Even though I thought I could not stand it to be in a crowd this early out, I made myself attend it. I was fighting tears all the way to the end seeing families together, generations of these very accomplished men, proud and supportive of their children, grandchildren becoming adults. I did not feel sorry for myself or my daughter. Quite the opposite, it made me want to work even harder to be able to secure a great education and bright future for her. I felt so sorry for my dear husband who could not be there and celebrate with the family and never will have a chance to experience this proud moment for our daughter. One widow told me that this feeling badly for the deceased missing out will never go away... I am sorry to highjack your thread, had to get it off my chest...
To the whole world you were one person; to me you were the whole world.

Virgo

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 08:18:34 AM »
Congratulations to your son! All of the milestones are bittersweet now. My oldest daughter will graduate high school next year.
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss