Author Topic: How long did you wear your wedding ring?  (Read 2940 times)

Bunny

• widowed 2012
Re: How long did you wear your wedding ring?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
I took them off after i realized that I no longer felt married. Well, first I had a really good cry about that fact,  and it did take a while more to be able to remove them completely. I tried to put them back on a few times in moments of profound sadness, but after that realization it just never felt right again- which was sad on another level also because they belonged to my grandmother- she had asked me to wear them a few months before she died.
It is a fearful thing to love what Death can touch.

MauiMermaid

• 1991-2013 You gave me the best years of my life
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »
Approaching 4 years and I still do. Not all the time but often. It's too pretty and special to sit in a box. I'm really fortunate that NG doesn't mind me wearing it and actually celebrates that I do.

Hugs to you.
To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with. - Mark Twain

You will always be my everything.

JustLola

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 01:03:59 AM »
I'm a little over 6 months in and I alternate between wearing his and mine together, and a beautiful vintage ring he gave me on our anniversary 3 years ago. It was meant to represent our new beginning after a rough patch. Our Christmas present to each other last year was new rings and we renewed our vows - with our 14 year old officiating (!). This was about 4 months before DH passed away. He had tears in his eyes because it meant to much to him.

For now, I'm following what feels right. I love all three of them but some days it seems like I'm perpetuating a fraud. They just don't feel right. On other days, I can't imagine being without them. Wrapped up in all that is my self-image: am I ready to be seen as a single woman. I can imagine a time coming soon, though, when I take them off for good. None of it diminishes my love for him.

piecesofapart

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
I did not wear my wedding ring everyday- as it interfered with my work day. So mostly I only wore it on weekends and special occasions when my husband was alive. It's not that I did not/don't feel married anymore...I won't let death steal that from me...but it is a different kind of marriage now. So I did wanted something more true to wear. So one year after I got a white heart ring...inside the heart is a little of my husbands ashes. I put it on for the first time on our 1st anniversary apart.

Gabzmom

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 04:04:13 AM »
I wore mine about two years and I wore his on a chain for 6 months.  I think you go with what feels right for you. 
"I always knew looking back on my tears would bring me laughter, but I never knew looking back on my laughter would make me cry." ~Cat Stevens

Adley

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »
Six months in I had just dropped the kids off to visit my dad for the weekend. Halfway back on the three hour trip I had to stop and get gas. I was crying. I could see all the strangers going in and out. I knew it would hurt to take it off, but it hurt to leave it on. I wasn't sure if I was being honest with myself or with other people. I didn't want them to look at me and think " happily married". AAAAGH! I pulled it off ( that's what it felt like, like pulling out an arrow or something) and sobbed for a while. I paid inside and put it back on. Took it off.  It rode in the console of her minivan for months, I'd put it on every now and then when I was alone.
Here's to my pretty young wife     sleepin amongst the stars           now they say what's hers is mine but I know what's ours is ours

beth_krkswidow

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
5 months. I can't imagine taking them off,  but that's me. Someone in one of my Grief Groups  took hers off immediately and had a new ring made from hers and his. I wear his on a chain. Everyone is different. Follow your heart,  it led you to him.
"Until my last breath, I loved you more than life itself." ~Kirk, in his envelope to be opened only upon his death.  And now I to you, My Love, until my last breath...