Author Topic: Boyfriends son  (Read 4712 times)

Momtojandj

• Widowed since 10/2012 . Living in NJ
Boyfriends son
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Bf ( hate that term by the way ) and I were out this morning with his 6 year , running errands etc . The lady in the store was talking to us and refered to me as his mom. I quickly said, not mom just friend . Normally if someone says something, and assumes my niece , my sons friends are my children , I let it go.. Who cares to correct them. But this was a new one for me . Asked bf after , if his son heard it and he said don't worry about , it's fine. Anyone have this happen ?
"To love another person is to see the face of God "

maddalena

Re: Boyfriends son
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
forgive me, i have done things like that too, it leaps out of the mouth before you have a chance to think.
but the other thing you addressed;
I hate the term "boyfriend" too. for crying out loud, white hair and wrinkles, he's no boy. but man friend? LOVER? Partner? i don't like any of those either.

Momtojandj

• Widowed since 10/2012 . Living in NJ
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »
Maddalena... I usually say friend, which my kids say .. You mean boyfriend . Argh .. Has to be a better term lol
"To love another person is to see the face of God "

mom66

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
 You could just say sex slave....jk of course

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »
There has to be a better word than boyfriend for grown men.  I refer to him as "the guy I'm seeing" but you can't use that in an introduction. "Lover" cracks me up, does anyone say that??

As far as his son, I would've worried about his reaction too.  No advice what to say in that situation but I think what you said is fine.  I think keeping a light hearted tone in front of the child would help keep it from becoming too awkward.
You will forever be my always.

maddalena

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
between us, we call each other our "heart side"

Portside

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
Anyone have this happen ?

Heck yeah - all the time - and the kids involved were teenagers. It was always our little inside joke and we'd just smile at each other.

I never corrected any of the folks that mistakenly assumed some relationship that wasn't there. It would have been too difficult to accurately describe the relationship and honestly, it wasn't anyone's business anyway.

Mike

The war is over for me now. But those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

Bear1956

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:29:06 PM »
These days most would  assume I am the grandfather, I think.  ::)

lcoxwell

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
There has to be a better word than boyfriend for grown men.

My Guy and I have commented on this same thing, several times.  We think the terms boyfriend/girlfriend sound too much like something teenagers would say.  I started calling him my New Guy, after seeing others use it on the old board.  It just sounded more mature than boyfriend, though after ten months of dating, it feels weird to continue to call him the New Guy.  When it is just the two of us, we simply call each other love, or my love.

You could just say sex slave....jk of course

^^^ Ha! Ha! That's hysterical!  :)
"The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude." - Thornton Wilder

Thank you, my dearest Kenneth, for loving me and for giving me the best 13 years of my life.

nonesuch

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
Sort of OT, but one of the reasons my consort didn't introduce me as his girlfriend is because he thinks it sounds silly, at 60-something, to be talking about a girlfriend.

I use "consort."  Gender neutral, old-fashioned, "a person with whom one shares a common lot in life."

I wrote this in at the optometrist's office, with the explanation, "No one over 25 should be called a boyfriend." I heard a giggle from the other side of the partition.  The clerk poked her head around and said, "I'm going to start using this, too."

fairlanegirl

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
Happily got a 51-year-old boyfriend here! In some situations I use partner. 'Partner' sounds a bit po-faced sometimes though, and here generally implies cohabitation, which is not the case with us.

Consort, hmmm, does  make me think of the Duke of Edinburgh, but I like it. Might start using that, thanks!

Lisa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
When I was dating I referred to him as man friend . Not gender neutral but more fitting someone my age.
"All the waves must reach the shore before the water calms"-Ray ♡

Mizpah

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
I hate boyfriend too.  I'm tempted to use partner, but it sounds so sterile.  It's just awkward all around, the nomenclature, and all the words are stupid, except lover, which hints at inappropriate things, hahaha. 

Anyway, my boyfriend has a 4-year-old son, and when he's badly behaved at the beach or something, I've heard women saying something like, "Well, look at the mother, she's just sitting there letting him _____, she's doing NOTHING!  No wonder."  I'm always torn between wanting to turn around and tell them he's not mine, it's not my fault, what am I supposed to do?, on the one hand, and on the other tell them to f*** off.  Also, his mom last year bought me flowers for Mother's Day because, she said, I'm his "other mother."  I'm not.  I totally disagree with her outlook on it.  It's strange.  There's a lot to navigate in being with someone with a kid/kids. 
widowed 2011 (DH 28)

downinahole

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
These days most would  assume I am the grandfather, I think.  ::)

I'm sure some people would assume the same about me.

look2thesky

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 07:29:26 PM »
Yes it's my kid. And I'm her man friend. And we are like the Brady bunch. Lolol,
Is it my turn for the questions now ? Where's the beer ? : /