Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 16087 times)

Baylee627

• Widowed on 3/13/14
    • dawiddahood
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 11:16:32 PM »
My screen name was derived from our would - have been daughter's name and our wedding date.

Bailey was his great grandfather's name. We decided our first daughter would be named after him, but spelled, B-a-y-l-e-e. We married on June 27.

Interesting thread topic:)

Baylee
Though lovers be lost, love shall not, and death shall have no dominion--Dylan Thomas

widowat33

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
I wasn't being very creative when I did my username..
I was a widow at the age of 33.
After reading all these stories I wish I would've  picked something a little more meaningful!

Tweety76

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 03:59:25 AM »
I've always been drawn to Tweety bird and I've been using it on and off on many sites and it's just natural part of me. 76 is shockingly my birth year :)

Wheelerswife: I too married in my thirties (32 to be exact) and much like you was so used to my own name (which sort of was a brand for me too because the combination of my first and last name is very rare) I couldn't loose it after all (I gave much thought on "going under radar" by taking his name). Instead, I added his name after mine. My cousin laughed at me when she learned my new name that "so you couldn't give up your fathers name, then". My reply: Nope :)

Love this thread! Thank you for starting it!!!

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 05:57:13 AM »
My name on ywbb was MissingMyTim. Not very creative and chosen for obvious reasons   With the new board I decided on a new name.  It describes where I'm at in most areas of my life life right now.

I'm trying to be a better mom
I'm trying to work through my grief
I'm trying to figure out my future career
I'm trying to keep my house together
I'm trying to figure out my finances
I'm trying to make a new relationship work
I'm trying to get over anger
I'm trying to exercise more
I'm trying to eat healthier

The list goes on and on.  Sadly there was very little in the "Succeeding" category, so "Trying" it is.
You will forever be my always.

Captains wife

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 06:32:39 AM »
Mine is pretty evident. But the background is that my late husband got his Captains license (for boating) when we were married and he switched careers - to become a rescue Captain after having worked in real estate for his entire career. He so loved working on the water but unfortunately this new career led to his demise. He was the one who introduced me to boating and taught me to sail - which I am active in now. And I am thankful for that.

hachi

• Widowed 7-6-2012 YWBB Joined 6-10-2013 Loc:NH
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 06:55:14 AM »
Hachi was my board name on YWBB, and was the nickname of a Japanese Akita - Hachiko- some thing about lucky eight -  I think, anyway this dog was famous for his loyalty to his owner, waiting for him at the train station everyday, even after the man died. He became kind of a national symbol in Japan. There was a movie about it.

I sort of felt like that dog, waiting for him to come back. It's a little ridiculous, I guess I always knew he was never coming back, but my heart just didn't get it. I don't feel that way much, now. But eight is supposed to be a lucky number in Japan, so I keep the name...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:53:50 PM by hachi »
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.      ~ A. Einstein

MrsMisterman

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:30 AM »
My husband and I had a hundred million pet names for each other. While I sometimes called him by his real name, he rarely used mine. So much so, when he said my given name, I stopped in my tracks. I knew what he wanted to say to me was important. Serious. Demanding of my full attention.

"Mister" was one of my playful names for him. It became "Mister Man" when I wanted added emphasis.

I thought about using one of his nicknames for me as a screen name. But I wanted it about him and my relationship to him. MrsMisterman was born.

And I have loved you wild.

Ever thine. Ever mine. Ever ours. KLM 7/11/55 to 4/24/12

Portside

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »
I rowed competitively when I joined the old board and I was a stronger rower when rowing with a port side oar. Port is YOUR right, it's the coxswains left. Actually, I can row pretty well both sides - I'm  "bisweptual."  ;D

Mike

The war is over for me now. But those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

kmouse

• Widowed and joined YWBB 4/09, MO
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
I registered just a couple days after losing my husband so my brain was pretty scrambled. My first name begins with a K, and my cat and very best buddy Mouse was sitting beside me when I was registering...kmouse was the best I could come up with. Not much of a reflection of personality, but it always reminds me of my sweet Mickey Mouse.  :)

Kelly
Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. -Anonymous

And sometimes it can give a second. -Me

RWV 7/7/56-4/13/09 I would have waited forever.

tableforone

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
I loved reading all the stories behind the names.

My name? I don't really remember how I chose it. I remember after I went to my first giant bago in Fort Lauderdale, Raymond told me that I was no longer tableforone but tableforforty.  I loved that.

Out_of_the_Blue

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
My husband's brain tumour came out of nowhere, out of the blue. Also his eyes were the most gorgeous, crystalline blue I have ever seen....

trying2breathe

• Widowed August 2013
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »
I joined YWBB a couple of months after DH passed, in deep grief and doing my best to survive. I chose the screen name  trying2breathe because it described perfectly my state of mind at the time.  I'm in a better place now and these days it's easier to breathe, but the name remains as a reminder of the long journey.   
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

lcoxwell

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
I joined YWBB at only two weeks out.  Deeply grieving, I didn't bother taking the time to come up with something original.  I was just so desperate to get registered, and the sooner, the better.  So, I just used the first initial, last name that I have so often had to use for work.  At first, I thought I could go back later and change it, but then, I ended up leaving it as it is, because my husband took so much pride in our name.  He used to tell the boys all the time, "No matter what, a man will always have two things in this world: his name and his word.  Both should mean something to you." 
"The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude." - Thornton Wilder

Thank you, my dearest Kenneth, for loving me and for giving me the best 13 years of my life.

marjoe

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
Just a combo of both our names. Used IRL before death, also - so I guess I used it initially as a comfort name.

Questions

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
Questions because becoming a widow caused me to question just about everything I'd done in my life & everything leading into the future.

Why did this happen?
Am I being punished?
Did I take too much for granted?
What lessons should I learn from this?
Who am I & who will I be without him?
Where am I going & how will I get there?
Am I permanently broken?
Does life really go on?
Does he miss me too?
Will I ever see him again?
Will I ever be happy again? etc...

Just tons & tons of questions & the answers come slowly if they ever manifest at all .