Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 16091 times)

serpico

Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
Frank Serpico was an honest, badass cop who lived in NYC and wasn't afraid to blow the whistle on corruption in the force.

I'm an honest, normal dude from Ohio, so if you can't see the connection I don't know what to tell you. :)
'I think I got some of your pickle'

AndysWife

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »
Clearly - I had no imagination in those first few days after he died. I've been thinking about changing the name as I no longer feel like I am his wife anymore. I am most certainly still his grieving widow but I don't want that to be my focus anymore either. I call myself Slave2three in my quit smoking group - maybe I will change to that..
A.B.D.  26/01/1969 - 08/08/2011

Munsen

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
Hubby was from a family that easily gave nicknames to everyone in the family so it was natural that he would soon have a nickname for me.

He always got a kick out of me being able to mimic Marvin the Martian and Beaker on the Muppet Show when we first met. However he said he couldn't call me Marvin as it was a guy's name and I was 'too smart' to be called Beaker so he started calling me 'my Bunsen' after Professor Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker's boss. It quickly morphed into 'Munsen' and that became his preferred nickname for me for all of our marriage. I also picked it for its anonymity as it wasn't something he'd call me in public, it was saved for our private moments when just him and I were watching TV, etc. so I felt very few people outside of our children would recognize it or search for it.

When he died I felt that I wouldn't survive without some help (I was the only young widow in my community that I knew of and I felt so alone in my pain). So, I went online looking for support, googled 'young widows' and YWBB came up so I joined that night just two weeks after his death. In my grief that was the only name that came to me and it seemed right to be known by his favorite nickname for me and I wanted to hold on to that memory.

That nickname is such a 'talisman' to me that I couldn't let it go when this new board started up.