Getting Started > Introduction (Please Read First)

Social Security Benefits

(1/2) > >>

oneoftwo:
Please contact your own country/locality social benefit office as soon as you can and make an appointment to discuss anything that will apply to you.

Also make sure you understand when you need to contact them when things change, such as:
your kids reach age 18
you get remarried

there are many more

Angelalpn:
I was told I literally had a week to contact them. The bad part is it can take months for them to get you an appointment.

Jennica:
I don't know if state to state is different but I didn't call SS for about 3 or 4 months after my husband passed and was not in a hurry to go in. I just did it so my sister in law would stop hounding me. It wasn't until 6 months after he passed that I went in  to take care of it. A week sounds ridiculous. I would call and talk to them.

Nella:
One reason I am told why it is important to go sooner is that they may not pay benefit retroactively. In many cases, benefits start on the day you apply so if you wait 6 months, you may have denied yourself or children six months of benefits. With that said, I have still not gone to see them personally because emotionally I am still a wreck.

Jennica:
I live in Ohio so it may be different but I went in 6 months later. In one month I received the back pay and the following month the regular scheduled payments started. I understand about not going in. I wasn't going to go in but I am glad I did. My husband didn't have life insurance so the monthly payments help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version