Getting Started > Introduction (Please Read First)

Social Security Benefits

<< < (2/3) > >>

patswife22:
As my daughter was over 18 I was not able to get benefits for her.  So at that time I could only receive the $255.  Which to me is a joke.  I was widowed at age 51.  My husband had life insurance but because I could NOT find a job (so many thousands and thousands of people lost their jobs too; the recession), the insurance $$$$ went fast.  Thank God my house was paid off.  A widow friend of mine told me I could collect widow benefits at age 60.  However, I could NOT be remarried before that time.  That 8+ years was pure hell for me.  A year and a half after he passed I was in a near fatal car accident with a drunk driver.  A month later I lost my job with bennies.  Since then I've had to purchase my own health insurance including COBRA.  No choice at that time.  I applied for widow benefits one month before my 60th birthday.  Got an appointment in a few days.  I was given all my options; collect on my own or my husbands.  NOT both.  Because my late husband made more I am collecting on his.  I was also told I could work and make up to almost $16K before the SS would be deducted.  Luckily, I found a part-time job that pays pretty good (at least helps with the bills) over 2 years ago.  However, I still have to pay for my own health insurance.  Helps to work for an insurance agent.  In the last few years I've learned how I can live without things I had when my husband was still alive.  Amazingly, I found that I don't miss those things that I thought I really needed. 

Now I am looking at retiring, selling my home, buying a truck so pull the RV behind.  I'm sure if my husband was here he would have said NO WAY!!!!!!

roch82:
I went into SS about a month after he died.. the death cert took a bit... but I received back pay up until the day he died.. I literally received my first payment the next day by direct deposit!! I didn't have an appt, but was lucky to have a claims employee there to help! If they weren't there, I would've had to come back after waiting an hour... my experience with SS was very good... and I get benefits until my children graduate, not until they are 18...

Lanajoy:
please forgive me if I sound clueless but I did not know to go to SS office. My spouse and I did not receive any benefits prior to death. I was let go from my position when my spouse passed and have not worked for 6 months. Is going to SS office something I should do?

SunshineFL:
Hi @Lanajoy -
You can always schedule an appointment to speak with an agent at the Social Security office, bring the death certificate and both of your social security numbers, and have them advise you if you have any benefits earned. It doesn't hurt to ask - worse case you are right where you are now; best case perhaps you have some additional income coming your way...but if you don't find out based on your personal details and situation, you won't know for sure.
Best wishes to you.
If you decide to follow-up, let us know how you made out.

Portside:

--- Quote from: Angelalpn on July 04, 2017, 11:01:37 AM ---I was told I literally had a week to contact them.
--- End quote ---

Ugh - once again, BS advice to you Angelalpn from a person that doesn't know. Get an appointment when you can and go.

Also, your state of residence has no bearing on your SS benefits. It is a Federal program - your state doesn't get involved.

As others have said, get with a SS agent and see what, if any, benefits you are eligible for.

Good luck - Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version