Author Topic: Did your spouse talk about you dating?  (Read 2307 times)

Mac

• Some of my photos: http://www.flickr.com/wackomaco
    • I have some of my photos here on flickr
Re: Did your spouse talk about you dating?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
Yes. Our old neighborhood in CA became more upscale over the years. Some men would divorce and remarry once they were financially well off. Cindy use to refer to it as getting "arm candy." Cindy use to tease me repeatedly: "Mac, promise me that if anything should ever happen to me that you will get some "arm candy." She said it to me in front of a co-worker just 2 weeks before she passed unexpectedly. I recently found out that she made comments about it to a relative just a couple of days before she passed. It does make smile and laugh when I think about it.
Grateful for the past. Embracing the present. Trusting in the future.

MR

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
We never spoke about it and god didn't gave chance to talk as it was medical accident and she never ever woke up.

jgib

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:42 PM »
Mine died in an accident so it was quick and unexpected.
I will say that he did speak of it once and said if I was with another he would come back and haunt me!  Lol

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 11:24:33 PM »
My first husband and I discussed the reality that I would have a different life after he died. He had a progressive genetic disease and we knew he was likely to die long before me. My second husband was also widowed. We never talked about what we would do when one of us was widowed again. We certainly didn't anticipate him dying so soon. But I have no difficulty knowing he would want me to find happiness with someone else.

Maureen
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
I think my LH knew his time was short. Once he got sicker he would talk about not wanting me to be alone for the rest of my life. He even told our pastor at the time that was his biggest fear, that I would shut myself off. Once he died and I had time to be alone, I realized I didn't want to always be alone. I went online and started looking as I hadn't dated for real in 25 years between two previous and now deceased husbands. I am grateful he said it, even though I was furious at the time :) It freed me from feeling guilty about rearranging things in the house, taking down photos and putting up others, and of course finding a 'real' person to connect with and having NG stay over.
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b

trying2breathe

• Widowed August 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
DH died unexpectedly, so we never talked about either of us dating another.  Honestly, I'm not so sure that he would be entirely happy that I'm dating - he was very competitive and could be jealous at times,  Should I have been the one to go first, I certainly would have wanted him to find somebody else.
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Adley

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
Yes, funnily enough, before she ever got sick she had a stern command that if anything were to happen, I would not go back to any ex. Roger that, Sweety. I miss her.
Here's to my pretty young wife     sleepin amongst the stars           now they say what's hers is mine but I know what's ours is ours

Christopher

• I came, I saw, I tried... I left.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
Back when I was nearly working myself to death we talked about it, agreed that if one of us died that the other should go find another spouse and be happy, then that was it.

I found out after she died that she had taken out life insurance on me in the event I did actually work myself to death. She did not have plans to move on though.

Neither did I. I wanted a lifetime and all I got was 7 years, which ended 7 years ago.

I cannot honor her wishes if I cannot find someone that will genuinely commit.

Virgo

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 03:24:01 AM »
The topic was brought up once during his chemotherapy. He said, "you're going to make some lucky guy an amazing wife." I said, "I already do." I know it was his way of coping with the unknown, but I wasn't ready to hear it.
Jen

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

BrokenHeart2

• Widowed 2013
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 07:22:19 AM »
No, it didn't happen. 
I don't want it to be his legacy that his death destroyed me.
I need to honour his life by rebuilding my life.

arneal

• The Starving Activist
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
Virgo -- I agree. Mine told me not to sit around, locking myself away from the world should something happen to him.
Andree'

Seek peace, and pursue it - Psalm 34:14b