Author Topic: Cooking for one?  (Read 4651 times)

KrypticKat

Re: Cooking for one?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »
Cooking was my passion and obsession and one of the things my husband loved about me. For the first few months I lived on milkshakes, takeout sushi and toast. I've recently found cooking enjoyable again. It is hard to cook for yourself but I've found a few tricks:

Freezing leftovers for ready made dinners on bad days
Inviting people over and making them dinner. It's not the same as my hubby but it beats the company of the cat. Plus it's motivating having your cooking appreciated again.

Breakfast is sometimes the hardest mood wise for me. My current fav solution is over night oats:

1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup dairy
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1tsp cinnamon
1tbsp flax seed
1/4 fruit (frozen or dried- personally I like dates or peaches)
1 pinch of salt

Throw it all in a jar in the evening. Shake and put in the fridge overnight. Ready to go breakfast in the morning.

Hope this can help someone else.

Milojka

Re: Cooking for one?
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 02:23:15 PM »
Great thread. Interesting.

I never liked cooking much, he was the cook, and a good one too.

I discovered that when you throw raw potatoes (cut in pieces) and Brussels sprouts (or any veg) and frozen sausages in a baking tin (add some oil and salt ), and bake that for half an hour in a preheated oven (200 degrees), you actually  get  a good and balanced meal with few dishes to wash.
It tastes better than it sounds :-)

Lunch is usually omelet and/or bread and/or soup.

Breakfast is usually milk with muesli and a banana. Which make me think of the addiction I have developed after his death, and which I still have: apples. I eat too many of them.

Now and then I do a cooking day. I cook 2 meals, each about 3 portions, and freeze that.
On my cooking day I also make 2 loafs of bread, which I freeze as well. No bakery around, so I just have to make my own bread, which I enjoy more than cooking.
And on my cooking day I also make a large quantity of soup.

I have a cooking day about once every two weeks.  After a while my freezer is filled with different dishes and soups, lots of choice. Every night at bedtime I take out what I am going to heat in the oven the next evening. (I have no microwave). I do enjoy the cooking days but I would hate to cook every day.