Author Topic: Gifted Children  (Read 869 times)

trying2breathe

• Widowed August 2013
Re: Gifted Children
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
My firstborn tested highly gifted, and we were fortunate before the start of his 1st grade to move to an area with a grade school specifically designed to accommodate the needs of highly gifted children.  This school provided academic support and social skills, and for my son this made a tremendous difference in not only his academic progress but his mental well being.   Things may be different now, but when my children were younger the gifted program in public schools did not start until 3rd grade. For us, this was too late as my son was struggling and frustrated in kindergarten. 

I agree with Abitlost, highly gifted chlldren are special needs.  Many children test gifted, for those that are highly/profoundly gifted it's important to specifically address their needs. 

A resource that was helpful to me - www.gifteddevelopment.com
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

TofinoMan

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »
I am just saying that your kids are and should be treated just like everyone elses (and by by the way mine could be "gifted" just never tested out that way because we didnt think that was a big deal.

It sounds to me like there is a difference between gifted children who can be educated in either public or private schools, and Bob, who seems to be exceptionally gifted.  Tofinoman says that Bob is 11 grades ahead of his peers.  I don't think this child can just be swept into the typical system.  The trick is going to be trying to find appropriate educational resources AND finding ways to allow Bob to socialize as normally as possible.  I have worked in an early-to-college program myself (I know of residential college programs for students as young as high school juniors/grade 11) and some of our students were extremely frustrated in more typical schools.  Their parents often resorted to online education/homeschooling, but parents had some frustration because they did not feel equipped to teach their own children.  The students in our program prefer to socialize with other highly gifted peers, where they feel understood...or with adults. 

I hope that others, such as abitlost and RyanAmysMom, who have raised or know of others who have raised highly exceptional children can offer more specific information about what worked for their children.

Maureen

Wheelerswife you are right about what i was meaning but described terribly.
Bob isn't an older kid of say 10, much less a basically grown teenager of 15.
Bob should have been relaxing in grade 1 not doing university classes.
University professors say Bob would tire of 1st year university within a  month.
Bob isn't just good at regular classes like math either.
Doing geography can point out every country and name the capital on a map.
But then tell you the lat and long coordinates of the capital.
Bob hung around a machinest/fabricator briefly and watched.
Then instinctively knew how to make very complex items and program perfectly machines in a fraction of the time a well trained and college degree educated user can do it that runs it daily. And do so from a hand drawn sketch.
Or spend a little time with a ship captain and be handed some books.
Then get 100% on every test to become an unlimited captain meant for people who graduated up and up in tonnage and have 20 years experience on the oceans in giant ships.
Bob likes books and reads at a rate that would boggle most peoples minds.
Not books a typical 4 or 5 year old would read at those ages. Tech manuals for complex aircraft or history books and the list goes on.
P
Adults 25 to 65 with an IQ of 170 talk to Bob and they feel that maybe the idea they used to have of their being very smart was incorrect and they feel inferior to Bob's 5 year old mind.
Bob spends a few hours with a marine mechanic of over 20 years experience and one of the top in his field. Then comments he is learning outboard repair things he still didn't know from Bob doing an engine overhaul.
Bob was talking to one of his parents about the molecular structure of metals during the heat treating process to harden it. Bob baffled his parent and the parent just sat nodding. When asked Bob said that the information can be found online and read.
If Bob was 15 or even 10 the people who love Bob and are concerned about him wouldn't be bothered by the idea of university. My hypothetical Bob character in question is a little kid.
Thanks for the awesome input by all to a hypothetical question.
And sorry for the poor description given by me to what i was meaning to ask.
I am certainly not smart and if i was then would have made it clear Bob the character in this scenario was merely a young child not an olxer child or a teenager.

No i do not have a son if someone wonders if i was talking about my son.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:45:56 PM by TofinoMan »
I have a daughter named Boo, a dog called Stick, and a truck named Zane Grey. My neighbors think I am nuts when they hear me yell Boo and Stick get in Zane.
Best part is neighbors leave the crazy guy alone.....

TornApart

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
Give him the chance to soar - then see what his choice is. The wind will take him where he is meant to be.
"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." Kahlil Gibran