Socializing > Social Encounters

A Meetup group's sad end

(1/2) > >>

RobFTC:
Hi folks,

So, ages ago on the old board, some may remember that I held a couple of widowbagos (wid meetings).  The first was in 2012, and I had the help of a Meetup group of which I was a member.  The bago was load of fun, in part because of the mix of people from the board who showed up from far away (!) and locals from the Meetup group.  In late 2013, the organizer abandoned the group and I rescued it, paying most of the dues myself over the years since then.  I used it for the second bago in 2014, and again, it was a fun mix.

I have been puttering with it since, not really meeting minimum expectations about what should be going on in such a group.  Despite not messaging and organizing events, I have felt like I was doing too much - paying the bills, doing almost all of the meetup planning, being too much the focus instead of part of an ensemble cast.  I've felt like I have worked well with anyone with an idea for a meetup, but people would mention ideas and then not follow through (I know, don't we all?).  And I know that my needs for it are down from what they were even last year.  Our last Meetup was in May, and we got a couple of new people show up.

One of those new people messaged me privately about further meetups, which to be honest felt like, "Hey, why aren't you doing your job better?"  Not his fault, but I reacted too much to how that felt, and I just didn't respond to him.  (I know, no points for me there.  I can be a jerk sometimes.)  He never suggested he could help, or took his desire for meetups public.

So the other day, he announces a new meetup group.  It turns out he's paid the organizer fee; my group's fees come due in about a week.  I wish I'd had a clue that he had some energy to do this, as I would have at least added him as a co-organizer to the existing group and helped him get stuff going, and likely named him as successor.  Now, I feel like the best thing to do is to write a note to the group about supporting the new group and step down as organizer.  Then we could see how many of the 142 members actually care, and see how they feel about the new guy.  I don't know if I want to join or not - I'll have to be doing it more because I like the events than anything related to wanting to watch what happens.

It's an interesting feeling.  It feels like finally announcing the end of something everyone knew was done anyway.  It will feel empty to not have that outlet when my anniversary season rolls around again.

Take care,
Rob T

BrokenHeart2:
It is unfortunate about the miscommunication and then he didn't contact you before he started the new group. I think your idea "to write a note to the group about supporting the new group and step down as organizer." is a good idea for you.  It could be a time for a new beginning for you :)
Hey Rob, I know it won't be the same thing but we could always be your outlet when that time rolls around. :)
Hugs 

klim:
I have been a big user of meetups around here and they do tend to ebb and flow with changes in organizers and names. I have seen a few organizers transition over to "regular " member successfully.  Good luck switching over.

PS I like the way you plan to exit " a note to the group about supporting the new group and step down as organize"

Newgirl:
So you're mad bc you ignored him, and then he stepped up to meet a perceived need? And you're slighted bc he didn't ask you to co-pilot the new group?

This guy sounds awesome, and I respect him.

Perhaps your attitude was what was driving participation down.

Wheelerswife:

--- Quote from: Newgirl on September 22, 2017, 07:28:18 PM ---So you're mad bc you ignored him, and then he stepped up to meet a perceived need? And you're slighted bc he didn't ask you to co-pilot the new group?

This guy sounds awesome, and I respect him.

Perhaps your attitude was what was driving participation down.

--- End quote ---

I don't know where this commentary is coming from. You obviously don't know RobT.

He came here admitting a small shortcoming and lamenting a loss. This wasn't necessary.

And yes. I know Rob and I know his generous spirit.

Maureen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version