Socializing > Social Encounters

A Meetup group's sad end

<< < (2/2)

RobFTC:

--- Quote from: Newgirl on September 22, 2017, 07:28:18 PM ---So you're mad bc you ignored him, and then he stepped up to meet a perceived need? And you're slighted bc he didn't ask you to co-pilot the new group?

This guy sounds awesome, and I respect him.

Perhaps your attitude was what was driving participation down.

--- End quote ---

Pushing me aside would have been completely fair.  But some facts:

Your hero is all the way up to 8 members.  The old group he could have had for the asking had 135.  Keeping 10% active through a transition would certainly have been easy.  He did not send an invite to the existing group before it died, so he didn't keep anyone that way.  If you do a Meetup group search for widows in my area, you find a little dotted rectangle saying that 35 people would be interested in a Young Widows and Widowers Meetup, from people who have expressed a need.  He's not not hitting it out of the park by that measure, either.  Finally, there's a group for older wids in the area that he attended and he said he felt shamed for being there.  I know the folks there, and I call bullshit - they are a different demographic (mostly retired and do a lot more things on weekdays), but I have liked all of the people I met there.

His choices and communications could have lead to better outcomes.  You might have noticed that I wished I had done things differently as well, but I won't own it when he doesn't see a reason to renew his group in five months.

You unleashed contempt without knowing much about the situation, which I am sure will get you far.

Rob T

Newgirl:
I have done well for myself, thanks. I don't throw tantrums when life goes awry. I don't make excuses. I stand by what I said.

Wheelerswife:

--- Quote from: Newgirl on October 30, 2017, 12:19:48 AM ---I have done well for myself, thanks. I don't throw tantrums when life goes awry. I don't make excuses. I stand by what I said.

--- End quote ---

I don’t know who you are or why you have the need to cut someone down when that person admits to a shortcoming and tries to confess in perhaps the only place where others understand, but I imagine this is precisely why members are reluctant to post on this board.

Why the sharp tongue??

Maureen

RobFTC:

--- Quote from: Newgirl on October 30, 2017, 12:19:48 AM ---I have done well for myself, thanks. I don't throw tantrums when life goes awry. I don't make excuses. I stand by what I said.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Newgirl on September 26, 2017, 10:43:30 PM ---I'm not philosophical, at all, I do my best to be honest, and not be a sanctimonious twat.

--- End quote ---

Certainly a fail of your earlier goal on both counts.

Rob T

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version