Young Widow Forum > General Discussion

Check arrived in DH's name


Almost 9 years post-death, a class-action lawsuit check arrived for DH in his name only. It's under $100 but I would like to cash it if possible. This is the second time something like this happened, the first time I let it expire unsure of what to do. Does anyone have any ideas how to cash this?


Do you have someone at the bank who knows your situation and could cash it for you?

If not, maybe try an ATM deposit. Just sign his name and then yours. From my experience those deposits aren't checked very thoroughly.

I don't have a brick-and-mortar bank. I could try to e-deposit it I guess, but his name is not on my account...

Normally if you deposit there shouldn't be any issues unless the issuer's raises one. I have deposited my wife cheque and also my kids cheques.

I no longer have a joint account.  I kept our joint checking account open for 3.5 years, mostly because I didn't want to deal with the automatic bill pays that were attached to the account. 

Oddly enough, I got an email today from the refuse pick-up company telling me they were still getting checks...on a closed account. 

I have found that sometimes it was easier to just try to deposit checks in my husbands' names than to tell the bank what I was trying to do.  I'm not sure how legal that is...but for 100 bucks?  I'd try it.



[0] Message Index

Go to full version