Young Widow Forum > General Discussion

Has anyone runaway? Did it help?

<< < (7/7)

Bear Tomás:
NJ to FL in 2009.  8)

Congrats on making the trip, Matthew! The pictures are great!  While difficult, it does seem like a positive way to grow into our new realities and who we want to be now.

My oldest daughter has done a lot of travel, much international, and finds it extremely beneficial. If you start going out of the country, I highly recommend Costa Rica as a good starter point. I was there as a college exchange student mmhnmp years ago (am 55, so you do the math!), but my late sister's family did a resort there last year and loved it. My daughter went too a couple years ago and loved it, but stayed in hostels, which probably isn't what you'd really want. Note: our summer is the rainy season there; late November to April is their summer (dry season). Someone in the group here currently lives there, I believe.

In another year, when my youngest is out of high school, I'm hoping I can get away somewhere myself. I'm have a membership in one of those big box bulk food stores, and recently learned they've got a travel service which people seem to like. Started looking into it the other week!

I didn't completely runaway, but I did take two months of traveling the US and Europe after my husband died, and it gave me a lot of what I had lost back. It showed me there was actually something to live for, and that I could still have some small joys. It was a very important part for me in my healing process, and I would recommend you do exactly what you spoke of. You have the ability, the time and desire. GO FOR IT! It could turn into one of the best decisions you've made for yourself, to heal and reminisce you and your wife's life together. I can imagine it will be extremely challenging at times, but in the end you will come out better for it. GOOD LUCK! 

Stunning photos.  At least they are proof that even when it's difficult, life can be beautiful.  I've become a big believer in looking for the little, lovely bits; like conversations with 70 year-olds who understand,  in the middle of nowhere, surrounded in beautiful scenery.  :)

Saving for the next adventure.  According to my little guy, that might be Lego Land.  Ha.  Somehow,  I think that might just be amazing...  Movement is good.  Have fun planning the next.

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version