Author Topic: I finally did it.  (Read 338 times)

Toosoon2.0

I finally did it.
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
I finally did it.  I quit my job.  I'm walking away from tenure, security and a life I have been living since I was 22 (am now 45) when I decided being a professor was what I wanted.  Everything I did was to get me to into the job I've had for the last 15 years.  Its done now though.  I can't believe it took me this long in some ways and I can't believe I had it in me to walk away (no one ever walks away from a job like mine) but I did at six am this morning after a confluence of episodes and sleepless nights that pushed me over the edge.  Maybe I should have done it a long time ago, I don't know, but its done now.  HOLY SHIT, I QUIT MY JOB.  You all will probably be hearing more about this in coming days but right now I am just in a state of shock that I actually had the courage to do it. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:42:57 AM by Toosoon2.0 »

CJF

Re: I finally did it.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
Congratulations!!  I am sure it wasn't easy but from reading your posts, it sounds like it was the right decision for you!!  I admire you for being strong enough to do it!!!

jgib

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
Congratulations, good job, well done!  From what you have said it is truly the right move. 
The future is ahead, eyes forward, let the adventures begin.....

Trying

• aka MissingmyTim
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »
Congratulations!  I know this has been weighing on you a long time, I wish you nothing but the best moving forward.
You will forever be my always.

Captains wife

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
Congrats! Sometimes big changes - although scary at first- are the best changes!

tybec

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
Congratulations!  You can do this! 

My brother, a professor, left his tenured position for a small college that was more tuned to his research and teaching philosophies.  No regrets!

I left my secure job of 19 yrs. with benefits.  Not a state job but state retirement from a long ago agreement.  My other brother told me I was stupid.  One more yr. and I would have had health care for life paid.  I still have my retirement setting and get 75% of my health care paid as long as the state doesn’t belly up.  But I wouldn’t change the last 3 yrs. I have had with my now teen son.  The time was worth it for me. 

Good luck with the freedom!  It will take bit to get used to it.  Life is too short to be miserable. 

imissdow

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »
Congrats! Logged in today after weeks off and saw this, found it ironic that my last day at my job was the 9th. I'm having a hard time believing that I finally had the nerve to do it and wondering if my new  job with its promised 20 hours and possibility more is really a good idea.  Oh but the relief, never thought I would change careers at 50.

Toosoon2.0

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
imissdow!  You did it!  So proud of you.  You know, Scott died and I thought I had to be this fierce feminist Mommy and "do it all, all of the time."  I turned out to be a grumpy, exhausted Mommy who did nothing well and who complained constantly about her job.  That wasn't the ultimate catalyst for my resignation (that is a whole other story) but it sure did become a factor.  If I want to raise a healthy, happy young woman, I need to be one myself (well, maybe not the young part anymore).  I had to take some control.  xoxoxox
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:55:08 AM by Toosoon2.0 »