Socializing > Social Encounters

You've got to try and find the humor in it

(1/3) > >>

KrypticKat:
So as part of my process I decided to try online dating. Not in any seriously active sense but I figured I'd make a profile and see what was out there. Maybe just got to the house and talk to people and not feel like a circus freak for a couple hours.

I ended up going out on one date and felt absolutely nothing. And the guy was way too invested. And when I politely said I wasn't looking for anything serious he implied that maybe I was afraid of falling in love. Barf. Let me tell you right now I all too much enjoy the idea of love but a single date with a perfect stranger is not going to make me jump at the idea that maybe this is the one again! I know what Real Love Is I had it already. And now I'm getting messages from people that look like Ronald McDonalds pimp and I kid you not a guy who dresses up as Captain Morgan as a profession. So I've got French-fried pimps and alcoholic Pirates to pick from. I know my husband would be laughing at me right now if he saw what I was dealing with.

First Widow:
This made me actually laugh out loud.  Online dating can be very, very entertaining if you don't take it too seriously.   

jgib:
KK thank you.  It is nice to know it is not just me!
I have dabbled a little with the online thing.  Early on I met someone that turned into a very good friend, we are just not romantically inclined.

I have met with about 5 others, in the past 3 years.  There has either been no attraction for me, or for them.  Some get way to invested and into it before we even meet.  That totally freaks me out!  I screen pretty hard and just meet with the ones that appear to be a good fit.

I try to respond to all that message me, as I feel that is polite.  Many are what I consider too old.  I am 53 and many are over 60.  I don’t think I want to go there.  DH was 3 years younger then me and I look and act young for my age.  Don’t get me wrong, I am no cougar, but close to my age would be nice.

I think much of the trouble I am having at the moment is that I am quit heavy.  I gained after I lost my husband and have not lost it yet.  I keep thinking that someone will be able to see past that, but I think I am fooling myself now.  I am very open about it and up front but it seems to be a deal breaker when we meet.

I started to get my confidence back last year, took me over 2 years to feel that way, and the online dating gives it a real knock around.  I am very independent and maybe it will be just me from now on, but I do miss having a connection with someone.....

I have not been lucky enough to score a pirate yet KK, you are one up on me there!

Virgo:
Hilarious! I haven't ventured into online dating. Facebook is as close to online dating as I think I'll get.

faye:
Humor, yes. Although compassion isn't my strong suit, it helps to summon up a little bit of that as well. We don't have to date those desperate types a second time, though.

Many of the people I met were very, very lonely and sad. One man blocked me when I added him to my favorite list, so clearly he thought *I* was weird.

Your date sounds a little desperate.  Be careful how you phrase "not looking for anything serious."  It's a dating site, and that can be interpreted as NSA sex. I didn't always refuse a second date if I didn't feel anything, but I usually did. Sometimes, if a guy seemed nice, I might give it another try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version