Author Topic: First year anniversary coming up  (Read 232 times)

First year anniversary coming up
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
Hey all,

It's been quite some time that I have not been on here but I hope everyone is doing as well as possible and just want to say how much I appreciate this forum! I don't really have any friends so it's so helpful to me to be able to come here and feel safe asking advice or questions to people I know understand how grief feels ❤

So, the one year mark of losing my husband to a very senseless act of violence is this Monday, January 29th. I've been dreading this day for a year, and although I am extremely stressed about it, I am trying to find ideas of helpful things I can do that day to honor my husband as well as bring some peace and comfort to my heart. I am still suffering so badly every day. It's almost as if the pain of losing him gets worse as time goes on. I am struggling so much to keep myself together. Our son is now just over a year old (he was 10 weeks when we lost my husband) and my 15 year old son who my husband helped me raise is also struggling very much. I would love to hear how others who are ahead of me in this process dealt with the one year mark. My financial situation is not good so anything that doesn't require money is ideal for me. I'm willing to spend a little bit but can't afford much more than maybe $100. I'd rather that money go to a shelter or something other than flowers etc for his grave... But please, anyone who is willing to share their experience or offer any advice I will be forever grateful to. I have a therapy session scheduled for that afternoon as well as a visit to my regular doctor at 4pm so thankfully part of my day will be distracted doing those things. I hope to not be the complete mess I anticipate being but I am prepared to feel horrible and accept that completely. I have a history with depression so I'm just a bit worried this event may trigger an episode. Any help/love/light is immensely appreciated ❤❤❤

• Widowed 1-13-13 joined YWBB 6-10-13 Loc: RI
Re: First year anniversary coming up
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »
Mishka,  My kids and I just observed our fifth sadiversary of my wife's death two weeks ago.  Like you I felt it seemed to get harder as time moved forward and approached that dreaded day the first year.  We spent the day together and the first year my wife's three sisters came to spend the day with us. My wife was cremated and she does not have a burial plot so we do not do flowers etc.  Since the first year we have spent the day just being together, going out to lunch together, nothing fancy, but taking a day to remember her and talk about her and be together in her honor.  No special plans etc, that way we can just lay low if emotions require it.  Let the day take it's course and honor whatever feelings and emotions come to you.

Take each day, hour or minute as they come, you will come out the other side eventually.
Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us everyday.
Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear.

• Cancer Widow November 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:32:03 AM »
In our family we chose to celebrate father's day in my husband's honor. That was probably because it is easier for my stepdaughter to join us. The death anniversary is more of a typical day with reflection and prayers. I reach out to my stepdaughter to make sure she is ok. My children were 2 and 5 when he passed so they don't really have a strong attachment to the anniversary. It's more like a personal day of remembrance.

We were thrust into a severe financial crisis which I am still working myself out of 6 years later so I didn't have a lot of money to spend either. My husband is cremated and resides on my nightstand. My stepdaughter and I thought it would be a good idea to celebrate the day eating my husband's favorite foods and doing a family activity. We thought that is what he would have wanted and we got a chance to acknowledge our grieve with each other. Our grief although more manageable now, still continues and we need a day to get together and acknowledge our continued sadness. So its bagels, brunch, ethnic foods and hiking, playing games, water park visits, etc. It's a good balance for us.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Best Regards,
My life is better because you were in it. You encouraged me to stretch my wings. I will forever be grateful. Rest in Peace Babe. Till we meet again.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
When we experienced our first sadiversary, I was not interested in working that day so I took it off and called the kids out of school. If I couldn't focus to work, why should I make the kids try? We bought a small flower bouquet, visited the cemetery, and then went to breakfast in one of his favorite breakfast places. We kept it simple and it worked for us.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »
Hey Mishka, how did it go? I find that the build-up is worse than the actual day, hopefully that was the case for you.