Author Topic: Invitation Advice Needed  (Read 115 times)

Invitation Advice Needed
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
For those of you who have had a child get married, how did you word the invitations?  Did any of you mention your spouse?

My oldest daughter is getting married in November and we are trying to figure out what to say.  I love the idea of mentioning DH, but I worry about making it awkward.

Thank you!

Re: Invitation Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
My daughter got married in August.  She listed only her and her fiancées names.  His parents are divorced and it just seemed the easiest way.  Nobody was upset by it but it’s a matter of preference.  I would think it is ok to put daughter of (your name) and the late (fathers name).  Good luck with planning!!!

• widowed 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
This looks like it might be helpful:

I think it’s perfectly fine to mention both parents if that is what your daughter wants, even before I was widowed I didn’t think it awkward or weird when a dead parent was listed n an invite.
It is a fearful thing to love what Death can touch.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
Did any of you mention your spouse?

Peony, my oldest son was married about 5 years after I lost my wife. My son wanted both his mother and my now wife mentioned in both the invites and the announcement in the Times.

The NYT wedding editor was very helpful and said this happens all the time. Her suggestion was thus:

Son's name, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mike Portside and the late (late wife's first name) (Maiden Name) (My Last Name).

My wife also walked him down the aisle. It was glorious.

Good luck, Mike

The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped. (Proverbs 11:25)