Time Frame > Shock Wears Off, Reality Sets In ( 6 to 12 months)

Total Apathy

(1/2) > >>

Is reaching a place where you're just numb and totally apathetic to everything and everyone normal? I'm 7.5 months out since losing my husband, and I've found that most of the time I feel nothing now. I even went on a vacation with my kids and family to Mexico and felt absolutely nothing. No excitement to be there. Was a lot of work to pack and live out of a suitcase.  It was nice to escape Wisco winter, and not have to go to work, but I couldn't even find happiness there. There are glimmers: I can take some joy knowing that my kids had fun, I wasn't a basket case, although I was sad because J was missing, but otherwise, I basically just moved my numbness from cold to warm. I'm afraid that by NOT feeling, I'm letting go. I don't want to be a walking, talking zombie. But maybe this is normal? 

Yes it is. Been there. Still go there on occasion. At one point I actually liked being numb because it was better than feeling all the feelings I was feelling. Accept it, process it, and you will eventually move through it.

Leadfeather, I know what you mean. I welcome it, because at least I'm not crying all the time. Or angry. But at the same time, I'm afraid not to feel. Sometimes i really think that I need to get off of my antidepressants, LOL.

Sounds very normal to me.  The body and mind can't keep up that level of suffering.  The numbness is confusing and strange, but definitely normal (for an abnormal situation).

It is normal. It might be another few weeks/month or a year before you feel little normal. We  can never be same again as loss is deep.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version