Author Topic: Widow songs from If/Then (Idina Menzel)  (Read 973 times)

Mr C

• It's Your Heart
Widow songs from If/Then (Idina Menzel)
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:10:18 AM »
Here is "Always Starting Over" sung by Idina Menzel. This is the widow song near the end of If/Then as Liz reflects back on her life with her husband and the journey ahead. This song has been going through my head all morning while reading the new forum. Thanks Jess for responding so quickly to set up a new forum, and Justin, Jen and the others who have put so much into creating new homes for us "to start over and over."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LArHeim0Yw
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:17:56 AM by Mr C »
Mrs.C, You have been my Sweetheart, Best Friend and Love since 1987. You will be my Wife forever and ever and ever. Love Always, Mr. C

Mr C

• It's Your Heart
Re: Widow songs from If/Then (Idina Menzel)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 04:27:14 AM »
Here is another widow song from If/Then, "You Learn to Live Without." I saw If/Then a couple weeks ago on Broadway and Idina Menzel was amazing. The story follows two paths for Elizabeth: all business Beth who is a single workaholic; and Liz who falls in Love, gets married and becomes a widow. It's not that she can't have both love and career. It's just that subtle choices and encounters lead to different paths (with some similar fates). The whole song fits for widows. However, technically the first verse is sung by Beth. Liz's widow verse begins (1:15) with "You learn to fall asleep alone." The last verse (2:22) is from both character's perspectives, "You learn to count the quiet wins; an hour with no unprompted tears."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQM2qZQ-y_w

FYI - The final performance for If/Then on Broadway is March 22nd.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:23:32 AM by Mr C »
Mrs.C, You have been my Sweetheart, Best Friend and Love since 1987. You will be my Wife forever and ever and ever. Love Always, Mr. C

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
Re: Widow songs from If/Then (Idina Menzel)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
Thank you SO MUCH for reposting these. I'm sad that I'm missing this show by such a narrow margin!

I've had a few songs in mind that I considered posting, but I don't want to flood the board with Broadway's Greatest Hits. Those are the songs I know, and the ones that really speak to me, but I don't want to annoy everybody. ;)

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton