Author Topic: Kerosene heater (Ot)  (Read 780 times)

Momtojandj

  • Member
  • Posts: 277
  • Widowed since 10/2012 . Living in NJ
Kerosene heater (Ot)
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
So off topic, but having our converted garage finally redone correctly so hopefully can sell this house one day. Anyway , the contractor put a heater in there to help dry the spackle. Well first off ,it smells, and are they safe ? It's getting left in there over Nite, he said it shuts off when too hot. I'm worried, I have every window open in rest of house .. Am I over reacting ?
"To love another person is to see the face of God "

rifatheroffour

  • Member
  • Posts: 226
  • Widowed 1-13-13 joined YWBB 6-10-13 Loc: RI
Re: Kerosene heater (Ot)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »
Kerosene heaters are not by definition dangerous.  In a garage, not placed too close to anything they should be fine, same as any space heater.  The issue with Kerosene is they stink and give off a lot of soot relative to other types of space heaters (electric or propane).  They are relatively cheap to run as space heaters go which is why he is probably using that.  Electric space heaters are more user friendly from a smell perspective but they will cost you in electricity.  Propane heaters are fine but they need electricity for the fan and I would not use one unattended in an inhabited home.  He probably uses this heater for unfinished houses as well when there are no utilities hooked up yet.

Hope this helps.
Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us everyday.
Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear.

Momtojandj

  • Member
  • Posts: 277
  • Widowed since 10/2012 . Living in NJ
Re: Kerosene heater (Ot)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »
Ri, it does thank you . Going to hope it's only for tonight , while everything dries. The smell is bad, or I'm just sensitive to the smell. Open windows tonight! Thanks again
"To love another person is to see the face of God "