Specific Situations > Young Widow/ers with No Children

Cooking for one?

<< < (2/4) > >>

sphoc:
I also have a food saver - I got the mason jar attachment so I don't use as many plastic bags, and it works great.

I got this book, "Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You): Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste" and found it has a lot of good and easy recipes.

MrsT85:
swilson, those egg muffins sounds so yummy!  Like tiny little quiches, almost.  I wonder if one I could maybe pull apart some uncooked canned "flaky layer" biscuits and put a few layers in the bottom of each section before you placed the ingredients in the muffin pan and make little crusts for them.   Or maybe cut out tiny crusts from a can of croissant dough and do the same.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for carbs...

The idea of tiny quiches made me think of these - "Impossibly Easy Mini-Pies."  They're small versions of the Bisquick impossibly easy pies (I'd make the cheeseburger pie for Tim and I sometimes) that you make in muffin pans instead of a pie pan, the site says they're good for freezing:  http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-holidays-parties/mhplibrary/everyday-meals/impossibly-easy-mini-pies

Thank you all for contributing to this thread!  It's so nice to see our little section of the boards get some action :)

Karin:
I was never very adept at cooking for two. . . . . how do I cook for one?  Cereal is always a popular choice in my book.  Or a sandwich or scrambled eggs.  That's the extent of the energy I'm willing to exert, especially if it's just for me alone.  Any better ideas??

I haven't tried this myself yet, but my mom insists that this soup recipe is tasty.  Makes more than just one serving but not so much that you'll be tired of it before you finish the leftovers.

Baked Potato Soup        4 servings

2 lg or 3 med baked potatoes

Melt 1/4 cup butter
Add 1/4 cup chopped onion
Cook 1-2 min
Stir in 1/4 cup flour

Gradually add: 1 can chicken broth
                         1 12oz can evap milk
                          scoop out & mash pulp from 1 potato
Cook over med heat, stir occas, until mix comes to boil

Dice remaining potatoes, skin and all, and add to soup.
Heat through.
Season with salt & pepper to taste

Toppings, crisp, crumbled bacon, cheese, chopped green onion

Variations, Omit toppings.  Cook 2Tblsp shred carrot with the onion.  Add 1/4 tsp dill weed when adding broth.

donswife:
That sounds really good
Yup it's so hard to get motivated to cook for one
I try and cook a soup on the weekend and eat it all week

Quixote:
I was the cook out of the two of us.  My wife liked to say her favorite food was other people's cooking.  It was a part of our courtship, actually--  I'd make her dinner or the odd cake/loaf of bread.  So cooking is kind of hard for me now, like a lot of special things we did together.  I rely way too much on eating out these days, but have tried to simplify things so I don't find myself aimlessly staring at the cupboard in despair.

I try to keep precooked protein (chicken, sausages and occasionally beef) in the fridge, with a stack of those prepackage veggie things from Trader Joes (baby broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, etc)

Breakfast--  we've got chickens, so I usually grab a couple of eggs and heat up a pan while I wash the eggs. Toss veg in microwave if there's not some precooked.  Toss oil in pan (landlady keeps olive oil with garlic in the house),  Stir fry a bit.  Toss eggs in.  Wrap in tortilla or just eat.  Season with salt, pepper and Tapatio.  Coffee.

Lunch-- fry random protein in oil until browning, add veg.  Heat.  Pour out of pan.  Toast tortilla, wrap and eat  Season with salt, pepper and Tapatio.  Coffee

Dinner--  same as above, more protein, skip tortilla.  Mint tea.

Yeah, it's pretty much bachelor food,  And I've been known to eat right out of the pan over the sink.  But it keeps me away from the taco stand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version