Author Topic: The Money-Saving Tips Thread  (Read 10426 times)

Questions

Re: The Money-Saving Tips Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »
I'm going to try this ammonia treatment on some shirts I have with the same problem..

Thanks for the tip!

Nuggets

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
I have found nothing cuts grease like ammonia, and I use it on clothes a lot, rather than bleach.  I bleach occasionally, but it really does a number on clothes.

I freakin' love the stuff -- my kids make gross choking noises because of the smell, but I notice they both have some in their cleaning supplies ;)

I got a tip many years ago to use Lestoil on greasy laundry stains --- and know for a fact it works fabulous.  I have also dumped half a cup of household ammonia into musty laundry (towels and socks!)

In Costa Rica I can only buy industrial ammonia -- whooo - ee!  about a tablespoon in a 10 liter bucket is all I need, and a 3 liter jug lasts several years.

I bleach whites sometimes and then only things like tea towels, sheets, etc --- I have seen more wrecked clothes because of bleach than I care to mention.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Isaac Asimov

Questions

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 12:54:31 AM »
It's heatin' up here in central Calif.  :P
I've got central A/C but am cheap & hate to run it. I'd rather just cool the room I'm in.
Still there are times when ceiling/table fans aren't adequate. Portable evaporative coolers (swamp coolers) work good in arid climates but are inefficient when it's humid.

These are all the rage over here..
REDNECK AIR CONDITIONER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_AgZ0zrrg

Portable, easy & inexpensive to make & run.
All you need is a styrofoam ice chest, a small fan, some PVC elbow pipe, frozen ice packs or similar & access to a wall outlet.
The only energy required is the electricity to run the fan.

I'll definately be making one of these soon because it's supposed to be 98f by Friday & my idea of strapping ice-cube trays to an oscilating fan failed for some reason  ::)

(((hugs to all)))
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:23:26 AM by Questions »

MrsDan

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 04:51:54 AM »
Here's one that Dan taught me. Every few months, call your cable company and renegotiate your bill. They have specials going on all the time, and sometimes they'll even throw in some premium channels for a few months as well. I've been bad about keeping this up, but am working on it now.
You are the Bear of my heart dear,
And nothing can take that away.

nonesuch

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »
In our neck of the woods, the grocery stores have been hit by hackers, potentially putting your credit card/debit card at risk.  You could carry cash, but I'd rather not.  What one acquaintance does is this:  uses cash to buy himself a gift card to the grocery store.  I guess this could work for budgeting as well, but looking at the cash left in the grocery envelop probably has a greater psychological effect.

mmg19

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
I've been on the cash/envelope method and I love it.  Mainly it is used for grocery envelope/ gas/miscellaneous.  Grocery spending has been down for months with money remaining going into the Christmas fund account.  I don't know what it is but when you use cash rather than a card I think twice before making an unnecessary purchase.

lcoxwell

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
If you like the envelope system and are tech savvy, you can always try the Mvelopes app on your smart phone or tablet. It seems to be the best app I have found for budgeting, though there are others out there, and it is based on the envelope idea. Once I set it up, I found that it only takes less than five minutes of my time, every few days, to manage and track where my money is going and exactly how much money I have to spend.
"The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude." - Thornton Wilder

Thank you, my dearest Kenneth, for loving me and for giving me the best 13 years of my life.

DonnaP

• Forever changed because I loved you!
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
I love this thread. I need to start being more responsible with money. I tend to overspend and charge things, then kick myself when the bill comes at the end of the month. I like the mvelopes app idea. Is it a free app?

Donna
I still think of you, Mick...every SINGLE day!

hachi

• Widowed 7-6-2012 YWBB Joined 6-10-2013 Loc:NH
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
In Costa Rica I can only buy industrial ammonia -- whooo - ee!  about a tablespoon in a 10 liter bucket is all I need, and a 3 liter jug lasts several years.

Nuggets, are you still in Costa Rica? I know you said you liked it "so damn much I might move here"  Did you? You really are my hero...
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.      ~ A. Einstein

gretchen437

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
I love this thread :D  One of my tips is find the clearance section of your local grocer. Grocers often fill it with discontinued or overstocked products. You will notice cycling of clearances. Health food products often go into the clearance section a couple months after the new year (when everyone has given up on their diets).  Coffee and tea often are put on clearance during early summer/late spring. Always check the expiration dates though in case it is close to its end.

imissdow

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
I buy a lot of stuff on sale and use coupons.  Around Christmas  baking stuff goes on sale so I stock up on sugar and flour.  Back to school will be soon so I will stock up on pens and paper when I see them on sale and cereal.
My grocery store does gas rewards. So I try and make sure I use them before they expire. I have also been known to buy gift cards either at Christmas when they are buy a $50 card get a $10 free or at the grocery store to get my gas rewards and then use them to eat out. I try not to do this all the time lest I be tempted to eat out just because I have a card. However If I know I'm meeting friend for coffee, dinner  or the like I will get one when I do my grocery shopping.

I plan when I'm going to buy clothes and such if at all possible.  The jeans I like are almost always on sale black Friday so I go on line and order what I think I'll need for the year. Socks and underwear will be on sale for back to school. I wear jeans and work shirts at work and swap out a t-shirt or button down when I'm at home. Because my job ruins clothes I have "good jeans" and work jeans. When I buy more they always start out as my good jeans and then move to work jeans status when I either buy more or need more work clothes.  I probably could shop at a thrift/consignment store but I find that these clothes wear out faster don't fit as well and being 5 9 it's sometimes hard to find what I want. I also almost always buy several packs  of the same white socks that way when I lose one or get a hole in one I don't throw a pair out just 1 sock.

DonnaP

• Forever changed because I loved you!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
Today is Amazon Prime Day -- supposedly more deals than Black Friday. Sounds like a gimmick to me, but worth a look mb. :)
I still think of you, Mick...every SINGLE day!

luvmy2babies

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »
The biggest lesson I learned and sometimes the hard way was to really keep things documented, to have a place where you can go and look at expenses and how I spend.  In my written budget I can?t leave things out, especially the things that don?t occur regularly.  I need to plan for them.  I learned I have to take the time to evaluate how the amount I budgeted for something compared to what I actually spent.  And having things laid out helps me plan better.  I learned that sometimes when I have overspent and either come up short and or can?t do something I need to do, it wasn?t because did something frivolous or I got something I didn?t need; but because I maybe got it 2 weeks before I should have.

nonesuch

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »
Great deals may be had for your home through the ReStore, if there's one near you. The ReStore is associated with Habitat for Humanity. Donated articles,  (furniture, appliances, tools, kitchen cabinets) can be had for virtually a song.  Mostly it is salvage in good shape, sometimes new things appear. 

Just purchased a pre-framed exterior door for $100.

Guaruj

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
This is a tip worth repeating:

II bought a 12 pack of microfiber rags and use it on everything.  Save a load on paper towels too.

In 2012, I bought a pack of 36 microfiber cloths at Costco for roughly $16. These cloths were intended for car detailing because they are very absorbent and leave very few fibers behind. I use these cloths in place of paper towels for so many things, but mostly for wiping countertops and wiping spills off the floor.  I wash them in the washing machine with my clothes but never put them in the dryer. They dry very quickly when I hang them up.

Now, nearly years later, I still have at least 5 of these cloths still in the package - I haven't used them yet. I've even given a few of them away to family and friends. Meanwhile, I could have easily spent 9 or 10 times as much on paper towels.  I typically use just one full-size paper towel a day.

|+|  M a r k  |+|
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:41:21 PM by Guaruj »