Author Topic: The Money-Saving Tips Thread  (Read 10310 times)

Catnip

Re: The Money-Saving Tips Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »
Hey Hey Maureen,
No making fun of my Yankees! They are still at spring training in Florida and they just won today against the Atlanta Braves. My poor Jacoby Ellsbury just got injured in his hand, but he still has time to get well before opening day on April 4th.

I have tickets for April 23rd. I'm going with my brother. We drive from Albany to Poughkeepsie, then take the Metro North train to the Bronx that drops us off right across the street from Yankee Stadium. Can't wait!!
Love,
~Catnip
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:35:13 PM by Catnip »
You left and forgot to tell my heart how to live without you.

Guaruj

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »
I make 2 K-Cups at home, put in my own cream and sugar, and have it on my desk at work. I bring my own coffee cup from home, that I bring home every night and put in the dishwasher.

The K-Cups can be expensive to use on a regular basis. Have you found a way around that?

|+|  M a r k  |+|

BrokenHeart2

• Widowed 2013
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
Funny you should ask Guaruj, I just read this yesterday from Justin in Aug in this tread:

Keurig cups - I really love the convenience of my Keurig, but those cups of coffee aren't cheap. I supplement store-bought K-cups with reusuable cups and paper filters purchased on Amazon. Use a fine-ground coffee (I like Cafe Bustelo) and pack the cup tight. There are also cups with built-in screens, but I have high cholesterol and need the paper filter to remove oils.
I don't want it to be his legacy that his death destroyed me.
I need to honour his life by rebuilding my life.

twistedmensa

• Embracing the suck since 1968!
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
I have the reusable K cups, too. I like the convenience of a single cup brewer, but hate the thought of filling a landfill with all of those cups.

Guaruj

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:23 PM »
I was away for about a year, and I'm sorry to see that this thread was idle the whole time.

These days, you see all kinds of advertisements for "inexpensive" razor cartridges. Honestly, who wants to pay $3 - $4 per cartridge when they won't last a week? Frankly, I consider the manufacturers to be profiting from a "patent racket". They introduce newer, more expensive blades when the patent expires on the old one. Does anyone really believe that a 5-blade cartridge works a better than one with 3 or 4 blades?

What you don't see advertised is the low cost of the old-style safety razor blades. When I discovered that Costco no longer sold Gillette Mach 3 razor blades in packages of 24, I bought a Van Der Hagen safety razor at my local drug store.

I then started shopping around for inexpensive razor blades. My supermarket has a great deal: 10 blades for $1.50 - $0.15 a blade! I dip the razor in baby oil after use, and that way the blade lasts me a full week.

It took some time for me to learn how to handle this razor properly. My best advice is to make sure your fingers are completely dry before you shave with it. The razor is solid brass, so it's heavier than the cheap plastic handles of those cartridge razors. It's easy to cut yourself if you let it slip.

It's been 6 months and I don't miss my old razor. The new razor, which cost me about $20, has already paid for itself.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

faye

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »
For doing stuff on your own:

http://seejanedrill.com/

oneoftwo

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »
Pay attention to what you buy-
don't buy crap you don't need
pay extra where you can and get better quality, longer lasting stuff

live within your means-
and save for a rainy day

And also, treat yourself now and then- go on vacation, buy an ice cream
Spend your extra cash on experiences, not 'stuff'

Bunny

• widowed 2012
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
I rarely use paper towels- one roll can last me months. Instead, I have two canisters in the kitchen that I keep rags in and I just use those then throw 'em in with the laundry- unless the job is too gross, then I simply throw away. My favorite rags are cut up old flannel sheets. I also use cloth napkins- i prefer 100% cotton. I find cute ones at the thrift stores or I cut out big squares of fabric with pinking sheers so they don't require any sewing. I just made some super cute ones out of a vintage dress that had seen better days.

I grow many of my herbs. This can be done in pots, if space is a problem. I dry out a bunch in the Fall for winter use.

Craigslist and Next Door always have free stuff for the taking- but it can go quick! I've gotten free firewood, dirt, mulch, plants, pots, furniture, Weber grill.

i love my bread machine. I can make super fancy or heathy breads for pennies. Actually, if you love baked goods as much as I do, it's cheaper to make them yourself and then freeze- cookies, scones, muffins, fruit bread or cake sliced into servings.

It is a fearful thing to love what Death can touch.

twin_mom

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
I buy on Amazon instead of going to the store for things like birdseed. Online I get just the birdseed, at Home Depot I come out with all kinds of things that caught my eye but I didn't really NEED.

Guaruj

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
I rarely use paper towels- one roll can last me months. Instead, I have two canisters in the kitchen that I keep rags in and I just use those then throw 'em in with the laundry- unless the job is too gross, then I simply throw away. My favorite rags are cut up old flannel sheets.

I bought a package of 36 polyester cloths from Costco about 4 or 5 years ago. They're meant for drying cars, but I use them in place of paper towels. They dry so quickly that I don't bother putting them in the drawing. I still have at least 12 or 15 of these that are still in the original package. What triggered this purchase was realizing that the cloths cost about the same as a 12-roll paper towel package at the supermarket.

Living alone, I use paper towels for napkins,  then re-use them for cleaning. I use only 1 or 2 half-sheets per day. The typical final use is straining the grounds from my french press coffee maker.

i love my bread machine. I can make super fancy or heathy breads for pennies. Actually, if you love baked goods as much as I do, it's cheaper to make them yourself and then freeze- cookies, scones, muffins, fruit bread or cake sliced into servings.

I may get one of these. I make a lot of soups and stews during the winter, and I usually like to have some bread to go with that.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Bunny

• widowed 2012
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »
I recommend the zojirushi mini-bread machine. It's perfect for a smaller household. I also suggest getting one of those giant recipe books with, like, 300 bread machine recipes, though King Arthur Flour has excellent on-line recipes. (Also- instead of buying bread flour, I use all-purpose and add gluten.)

Nice to see a fellow rag user! I pretty much just use my paper towels to wipe out the cast iron. I am also a fellow French press user- all grounds go into the compost, or roses, of course...

soloact

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »

I may get one of these. I make a lot of soups and stews during the winter, and I usually like to have some bread to go with that.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

The bread machine is an excellent suggestion. Look for one with a timer. If you do a lot of soups and stews you'll love this. There is nothing like returning home on a cold evening to the aroma of freshly baked bread and a hot meal.

Prep was the prior evening. Crock was assembled and refrigerated overnight. Everything went in the bread machine except the liquid. In the morning all I had to do was place the refrigerated crock in the slow cooker and add liquid to the bread machine. Great for getting out of the house in a hurry.

BrokenHeart2

• Widowed 2013
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »
My favorite thing in my bread maker is pizza dough.  I add spices to it as well and it comes out great.  If I don't need all of the dough I freeze individual balls of dough and use it up that way.
Happy cooking Wids!
I don't want it to be his legacy that his death destroyed me.
I need to honour his life by rebuilding my life.

Bunny

• widowed 2012
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
Maybe it's all the years of my childhood spent in the Far East (Navy brat), but I am a huge fan of rice cookers. Perfect every time whether white, wild, brown, or mixed. Some models come with a timer for planning ahead, and can be used for other things- like hot cereal.

This last year I started making my own yogurt and I can't believe how easy it is! Not to mention much less expensive. I use a heating pad on low wrapped around the jars to keep a steady temp while the yogurt is being made. I also started making my own granola. Not only is it cheaper, but it's a lot healthier because I use much less sugar and fat.

Sometimes I think I must be reincarnated from someone raised during the depression because I derive way too much pleasure in being thrifty.