Author Topic: Summer road trip  (Read 19236 times)

DonnaP

• Forever changed because I loved you!
Re: Summer road trip
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
Hey - we need more info than THAT, missy... How many miles did you log? Where'd ya get to? Did you see the world's largest ball of string yet?

Where in the world is Maureen SanDiego?
 ;D
I still think of you, Mick...every SINGLE day!

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
1700 miles into the road trip. I'm on the Canadian border of New York and Vermont, visiting my folks and dodging roadblocks set up to try to catch two dangerous maximum security inmates who escaped the nearby prison this morning. On the NY side, just a half mile or so from the border. I will be here a few days before heading to Maine to see my sister and hopefully TFO. Wish me patience with my father...

Maureen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:42:40 AM by Wheelerswife »
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »
2300+ miles into the trip.  Hanging out in Connecticut.  Staying with a wid friend, hoping to catch a bunch of folks while I'm in the area.  Drop me a line if you have the time to see me this week!  Not used to the humidity, but with air conditioning, I've been getting some much needed sleep.  I've spend some time with MIL 1 (meh...) and got my hair done by my old hairdresser.  (Yay!)

Today would have been my 23rd anniversary with my first husband, the 6th anniversary without him.  I went to the cemetery 2 days ago.  Sadly, we spent our last 2 anniversaries with him critically ill in ICU and it is those memories and the sense of fear that rise most strongly.

I'm missing John, too.  Fortunately, I can talk about him amongst wid friends.

Bago in PA next weekend, then off on the adventure part of the trip with my niece!

Maureen

Ursula

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 06:58:58 AM »
Maureen, I wish you safe travels, and many new impressions to keep the mind busy and distracted.
Travel is a great medicine I believe.
Hugs and thinking of you
Por que tu fuego a?n me quema, sin ti las noches son eternas,
tu aroma sigue aqu?, no me deja ir.. Por m?s que intente y quiera olvidarte, yo nunca lograre dejarte, cautivo de este amor sincero esclavo de tu voz.. Por que estoy am?ndote, so??ndose, aunque no est?s aqu?..
Y yo te esperare, amor aunque los a?os lleguen sin querer (Marc Anthony)

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 09:54:46 PM »
3000 miles in. Last east coast stop today at the British Invasion bago. Over the last week or so I've been able to spend time with several east coast wid friends. Today I met a few more, as well as many wid kids. Rosie had a fun day, too....lots of kids (big and little) to give her attention on a day off from working. I am always honored to meet new wids and have them share their stories with me. Most of today's crowd I had met before, but new folks were inducted into the clan today and they are awesome people.

Tomorrow, I pick up my niece and start the next leg of this summer journey. I hope to experience the awesomeness of our country and find more gumption to keep on keeping on. Indiana, Wisconsin, South Dakoka....next destinations on the road.

Maureen

SimiRed

• Widowed 9-19-09 Joined YWBB 10-2009
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
Safe travels!!!  Have a Super Fantastic journey with your niece and Rosie!!
~Tracey~
My wonderful husband Rick of 19 years, 12/11/67 - 9/20/09 Neuroendocrine cancer.
I still miss you everyday, I go forward, but my mind stands still.

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »
Well, I'm into phase 2 of the road trip.  Yesterday, my niece and I set out from Central New York and made it all the way past Chicago.  We are just inside the Wisconsin line, heading today to visit some dear friends who knew John through 3 wives. (Yeah, I was #3!) I love these people, who stuck with him through thick and thin and were such a presence in our lives even from a distance.  They knew John through and through and also loved the transformation they saw in him with me.

My dilemma for today...do I call my MIL and stop to visit her tomorrow?  She lives directly in my path of travel.  She harbors bitterness toward me...for stealing her son's heart and then not looking after his health.  Yeah...she blames me for his death.  I haven't spoken to her since the anniversary of his death in January, when she unleashed that tirade on me.

I'll ponder it a bit and make a decision later today, I guess.

Off we go!

Maureen

Lisa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
Lady you can travel! You will make  your own decision. Keep in mind your neice is with you abd although she us in pain mil diesnt have license to abuse you. Take care
"All the waves must reach the shore before the water calms"-Ray ♡

Jess

• Administrator
  • AKA Jezzy
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
Maureen, in my opinion if someone can cause you emotional pain, that is someone you do not need to offer your time to. I do not speak to my MIL, and I am better emotionally for it. Just my two cents.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good. - Unknown

Don't be concerned about being disloyal to your pain by being joyous. - Hazrat Inayat Khan

Joe: 1979- 7/2014

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
Well, I made a call to MIL this morning and she was in a decent mood.  I stopped by and actually took her out to lunch.  She has been unwell since January, hospitalized twice and in the ER 4 times, but seems to be doing better.  I don't think she truly understands what is wrong, but I think she has congestive heart failure and she has had some bad reactions to medications.  Her home, which has always been in some disarray, was worse than I'd ever seen it.  She isn't able to mow her lawn and do other yard work either.  She has had macular degeneration for many years and her license expired and her eye doctor won't sign for her to drive anymore.  She remains quite stubborn and resents her only remaining son's attempts to help her manage (he lives in Alaska).  She cancelled a service that calls her daily and only allows meals on wheels to deliver to her one day a week.  She honestly didn't look bad (for her) but I'm glad she is no longer my responsibility.  She complained a bout a myriad of things during the visit, but she didn't say anything nasty to me or about me!

Dutiful DIL has managed to squeak this one by.

Now in Minnesota...heading toward the Dakotas...or at least South Dakota.

Maureen

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
Tonight I get to see whiteirony and her brood!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Maureen

Guaruj

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
Maureen -

I hope you continue to enjoy your trip.  I recall reading elsewhere about mother-in-law #2 blaming you for your husband's death.  Having read your more recent posts, I can see that she's simply unable to think reasonably.  You are very kind to save some time for her during your travels.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

SimiRed

• Widowed 9-19-09 Joined YWBB 10-2009
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
Maureen, I'm glad that MIL was decent to you!! 

Safe travels, my friend!!! 

Have fun tonight!!!!
~Tracey~
My wonderful husband Rick of 19 years, 12/11/67 - 9/20/09 Neuroendocrine cancer.
I still miss you everyday, I go forward, but my mind stands still.

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:24 AM »
It was lovely to see whiteirony again, and this time, to meet her wonderful young children and her fianc?, "Uncle Eric".  The relationship between Uncle Eric and her children is just beautiful.  I'm so happy for them!  Rosie even had a playmate in their dog Marley and I think Rosie corrupted Marley by teaching her how to play in mud puddles!  Such nice and relaxed hospitality!

Today is scheduled as a long drive after we stop and see a retired nun that John and I met at a Catholic mission - on trips to Peru with university students.  John and I always admired the work of justice that Sister Peggy dedicated her life to for the poorest of the poor in the desert coastal city of Chimbote.

Now...to wake up my sleeping niece...

Maureen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:43:34 AM by Wheelerswife »

DonnaP

• Forever changed because I loved you!
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
Well, you are indeed a kind-hearted soul -- to visit a woman who has been mean and spiteful to you, despite all the happinesss you brought to her son. I have a similar dilemma with my MIL, as you know. I have not initiated contact since Christmastime, when my efforts to put together a little family luncheon basically blew up in my face. Glad you were treated decently. And, kudos for having the patience to sit and listen to her complaints.

Enjoy the next phase of your trip!
Post some pictures when you get a chance :)
Donna
I still think of you, Mick...every SINGLE day!