Author Topic: Summer road trip  (Read 19104 times)

Carey

• Widowed 11/23/13 Joined YWBB 12/2/13
Re: Summer road trip
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »
Ive enjoyed following your travels.  I couldn't do that much time in a car though it does sound daring and adventurous! :)  I'm glad you got through the MIL experience virtually unscathed ... I don't talk to mine either so I totally understand that. looking forward to the next installment of your journey so I can live vicariously through someone who has the guts to do something I never could.
I can't look at the stars they make me wonder where you are. 
Stars.... up on heaven's boulevard
And if I know you at all
I know you've gone too far
 So I .... I can't look at the stars --Grace Potter

whiteirony

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:44 AM »
Always a pleasure, Maureen!! Thank you for going out of your way to meet my brood. Eric was so glad to have met the woman who instigated the courage in me to take that leap of faith in the relationship between him and I. You're an amazing woman and can't wait to hear about your future endeavors across the country.

Much love  :)

Mari

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 10:57:07 PM »
Spent the day in the Badlands and the Black Hills of South Dakota. Drove through some beautiful scenery. Most of what went through my head - John should be here!  I got teary several times but hid most of it from my niece. She is doing well, reading maps, choosing hotels, getting interested in the places we are going. She has been really good meeting people (such as a retired nun John and I met on our trips to Peru.). We are heading to Kansas for a couple of days after one more day here tomorrow. Then off to the desert Southwest.

Still, though, wishing that my nightmare would end and my polarbear would just come back. We had so much life left to live together.

Sigh.

Maureen
Life is short.  Love with all you've got. 

Barry 11/29/55-9/22/09       John  1/16/57-1/11/14

Empathy  Developer  Responsibility  Adaptability Connectedness

hachi

• Widowed 7-6-2012 YWBB Joined 6-10-2013 Loc:NH
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 11:12:48 PM »
((aww hugs Maureen))
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.      ~ A. Einstein

JeanGenie

• Widowed 4-22-2013
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 05:22:32 AM »
{{Hugs}} Maureen...much adventures and heartache mixed up all in one.  Your niece sounds like a gem though.  Must get that from her Aunt!   :)
I miss how happy I was with you.

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »
Heading home today for a mid-road trip intermission. I need to go through my mail, pay some bills, catch up with a few local supporters and gear up for the next 4 weeks. I'm in my usual funk that I find myself in every time I go back home after being away. He is supposed to be here, damn it!  I'm hiding most of my angst from my niece (who is currently in the shower and behind schedule for getting on the road this morning!).

I hope not to have a big breakdown when I get home.

Maureen

swilson

• Widower since Sept. 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 09:11:48 AM »
{hug} Maureen. Dorothy's famous line, "There's no place like home" has a dampened feeling for some widdas.
~ she's gone to Heaven so I've got to be good, so I can see my baby when I leave this world ~

A Tout Jamais

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
He is supposed to be here, damn it! 
I hope not to have a big breakdown when I get home.

(((Maureen)))

I do understand how difficult it is having to "come home again" to one's reality. Meanwhile, I wish you much joy and peaceful moments as you embark on phase II of your big trip.

Be safe and well!

ATJ
:)
"Tu n'es plus là où tu étais, mais tu es partout là où je suis."
~~ Victor Hugo

"Je me souviens de toi ... Je me souviens de nous  - Il était une fois -  Je me souviens de tout!"

SimiRed

• Widowed 9-19-09 Joined YWBB 10-2009
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »
((( HUGS)))

Sending the biggest hug I can!!! 
~Tracey~
My wonderful husband Rick of 19 years, 12/11/67 - 9/20/09 Neuroendocrine cancer.
I still miss you everyday, I go forward, but my mind stands still.

DonnaP

• Forever changed because I loved you!
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
A virtual hug cannot compare to the real thing, but here's one from me anyway (((HUG)))

Love you! I hope having your niece along on the trip is providing a bit of a buffer between you and the grief monster. Good luck, and safe travels.

Donna
I still think of you, Mick...every SINGLE day!

Carey

• Widowed 11/23/13 Joined YWBB 12/2/13
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
Hugs to you .... but I have to say I'm just so damned impressed and quite a bit jealous. I love reading your uupdates and imagining the unforgettable summer you are giving your niece.  I'm up for adoption btw ....
I can't look at the stars they make me wonder where you are. 
Stars.... up on heaven's boulevard
And if I know you at all
I know you've gone too far
 So I .... I can't look at the stars --Grace Potter

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
Home has been okay.  I have my niece with me and that has added distraction from missing John.  I've been able to see some friends here and I took my niece to campus a couple of times to get the feel of a college of this size and to meet some staff and professors, too.  Last night we went to an outdoor concert of the band Parmalee.  My niece was in heaven...and we waited in line afterwards so she (and my dog Rosie) could get their pictures taken with the band.

Tomorrow we head into Colorado, then down to Santa Fe to spend a little time with an seasoned board widow and then on into Arizona to catch up with Jess!  Then it is on to San Diego to see my nephew, then up the southern California coast to catch a couple more people.  The scenery should be amazing.  That should take us through the next week or so!

Maureen

SoVerySad

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »
It sounds amazing (and so brave), Maureen. I'm glad you have your niece to share these experiences with. How wonderful for you both.

Hugs,
Carol
Without you, Baby, I'm not me.

Wheelerswife

• Widowed x 2.
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Checking in from Santa Fe. We have been the guests of Ann E for a couple of nights and we've gotten a bit of a tour of Santa Fe.  Before that, we spent some time in southern Colorado - getting to see the Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak in the Colorado Springs area and then and the Great Sand Dunes National Park.  Who knew there were amazing sand dunes in Colorado?  Santa Fe feels like it is an entirely different country - very different culture, very soft-spoke people, a very peace-filled place.  Tomorrow, it is on to Arizona.

Step by step, I am making my way toward northern California, where I will inter half of John's ashes beside his late wife Cheryl.  My chest tightens when I think about it.  I know they are "only" ashes, but I am letting go of the part of him that rightly belongs with his other love, as he wished.  I'm still sad, though.  I want him for myself...but I can't have him....that I know intellectually.  He is no longer here.  Emotionally, I'm still so sad that our life together came to such an abrupt end nearly 18 months ago.  I want him with me now, as I explore this country as we would have eventually if he was still alive. So many feelings and emotions.  I want to write something to say at his interment.  I've played some things over in my mind while I drive long miles.  How do I say goodbye?  How do I let go of half of him?  July 23.  That is the day.  Sigh.  Breathe.

Maureen

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
I wish I had more. but... ((((((((HUGS)))))))))

I just got back from southwest Colorado, still my favorite place on the planet. I scattered some ashes at the highest point in Mesa Verde National Park-- a place I always wanted to take Jim, and never got to. It was hard... but I felt better once I'd done it. I hope your experience is similar, but I wish with all my heart that neither of us had to do it at all.

much love,

Jen
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton