Author Topic: Wedding Dress  (Read 6508 times)

Sandi1970

Re: Wedding Dress
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
I moved recently and there the wedding dress was... What to do with it? Moved it the 1,000+ miles just so I didn't have to derail my packing efforts and sit and think. So here it is in my walk in closet. Still not sure but have thought about if I get married again, changing it up and shortening it and wearing it again. It still represents one of my fonds days ever. who knows.
:-)Sandi

Lmsmdm

• Joined Ywbb July/2011
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »
One of my best friends daughter asked to use my dress. I instantly said yes. It felt like such a relief. However, in the end she gave it back wanting her own dress. I chuckle (ya know the twisted widow chuckle) she was probably afraid it was jinxed ha ha.

Before he died, I wanted to do a destroy the dress photo shoot. My best friend suggested I do it anyway in Jamaica after the ceremony. It didn't feel right.

Periodically it haunts me. @donswife I have a backyard dress too, notice my signature ha ha. That one landed in a bag of things to be turned into a quilt. However, July will be 5 years, and that bag has been sitting for 3ish. The quilt's light of actually happening is growing dim, but I can't get rid of the bag haha.

One day I will figure it out. I like the donation idea, I will tuck that one away. 
You hate me don't you? Yup, so much I married you twice! :)

donswife

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
Lmsmdm-  like your idea about the quilt but the dress still hangs at My moms
I haven't even looked at it so not sure what I will do with it
I am hoping for someone to make the decision for me
I am tired of making decisions ...:)
My everything

JeanGenie

• Widowed 4-22-2013
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Mine is all boxed up and sealed in the back of my closet....where it's been for 30+ years.  Sometimes I wonder if there's anything actually in the box--now wouldn't that be ironic!  I had kept it too in case I had a daughter who might want it.  No daughter...so maybe some future DIL??  I guess I can hope. And then if my imagined DIL doesn't want it, maybe it can be used to make a Baptism gown for my imaginary grandchildren!  lol  I guess someday if I ever move, I'll need to deal with it.  But for now, it just sits in the back of the closet for future possibilities...
I miss how happy I was with you.

baywebbshelton

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
I also can't decide what to do with mine. I've heard of people casing the dress in a resin, and framing it. I just remarried recently and now I'm not sure what to do either. Do I display both dresses, or should I only have my recent one out?

Does anyone else feel guilty at the thought of having both dresses on display? I feel like I am holding onto an old life with all these things, and not able to move into my new one.

Portside

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 07:25:34 AM »
. . .  maybe it can be used to make a Baptism gown for my imaginary grandchildren! 

That's a great idea!

I donated my late wife's gown to a bridal shop whose owner promised to give it to someone that needed it and couldn't afford it. I paid her $50 for her trouble.

Mike
The war is over for me now. But those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

piecesofapart

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
My dress hangs in the closet next to the suit my husband wore on our wedding day. It's a simple white lace dress that I got at Dress Barn for $60 (in 1996). We got married in Bermuda on a cliff overlooking the ocean- so I did not need anything elaborate. Even got to wear it twice since we had our wedding reception a week later when we returned from getting married/having our honeymoon.

..not sure what I will do going forward, but for now, I like that they are hanging out together ;-D