Author Topic: Wedding Dress  (Read 7649 times)

Re: Wedding Dress
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
I moved recently and there the wedding dress was... What to do with it? Moved it the 1,000+ miles just so I didn't have to derail my packing efforts and sit and think. So here it is in my walk in closet. Still not sure but have thought about if I get married again, changing it up and shortening it and wearing it again. It still represents one of my fonds days ever. who knows.

• Joined Ywbb July/2011
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »
One of my best friends daughter asked to use my dress. I instantly said yes. It felt like such a relief. However, in the end she gave it back wanting her own dress. I chuckle (ya know the twisted widow chuckle) she was probably afraid it was jinxed ha ha.

Before he died, I wanted to do a destroy the dress photo shoot. My best friend suggested I do it anyway in Jamaica after the ceremony. It didn't feel right.

Periodically it haunts me. @donswife I have a backyard dress too, notice my signature ha ha. That one landed in a bag of things to be turned into a quilt. However, July will be 5 years, and that bag has been sitting for 3ish. The quilt's light of actually happening is growing dim, but I can't get rid of the bag haha.

One day I will figure it out. I like the donation idea, I will tuck that one away. 
You hate me don't you? Yup, so much I married you twice! :)

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
Lmsmdm-  like your idea about the quilt but the dress still hangs at My moms
I haven't even looked at it so not sure what I will do with it
I am hoping for someone to make the decision for me
I am tired of making decisions ...:)
My everything

• Widowed 4-22-2013
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Mine is all boxed up and sealed in the back of my closet....where it's been for 30+ years.  Sometimes I wonder if there's anything actually in the box--now wouldn't that be ironic!  I had kept it too in case I had a daughter who might want it.  No maybe some future DIL??  I guess I can hope. And then if my imagined DIL doesn't want it, maybe it can be used to make a Baptism gown for my imaginary grandchildren!  lol  I guess someday if I ever move, I'll need to deal with it.  But for now, it just sits in the back of the closet for future possibilities...
I miss how happy I was with you.

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
I also can't decide what to do with mine. I've heard of people casing the dress in a resin, and framing it. I just remarried recently and now I'm not sure what to do either. Do I display both dresses, or should I only have my recent one out?

Does anyone else feel guilty at the thought of having both dresses on display? I feel like I am holding onto an old life with all these things, and not able to move into my new one.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 07:25:34 AM »
. . .  maybe it can be used to make a Baptism gown for my imaginary grandchildren! 

That's a great idea!

I donated my late wife's gown to a bridal shop whose owner promised to give it to someone that needed it and couldn't afford it. I paid her $50 for her trouble.

The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped. (Proverbs 11:25)

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
My dress hangs in the closet next to the suit my husband wore on our wedding day. It's a simple white lace dress that I got at Dress Barn for $60 (in 1996). We got married in Bermuda on a cliff overlooking the ocean- so I did not need anything elaborate. Even got to wear it twice since we had our wedding reception a week later when we returned from getting married/having our honeymoon.

..not sure what I will do going forward, but for now, I like that they are hanging out together ;-D

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 05:44:36 PM »
Update: Last week I threw my dress away. I couldn't find a good way to send it off, and didn't feel right about donating it for another woman to wear. I also threw away the clothes from the morgue at the same time, and a part of me misses those things, and another is happy to have one less reminder of pain.