Author Topic: Confessions of a widow  (Read 75701 times)

Jess

• Administrator
  • AKA Jezzy
Re: Confessions of a widow
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »
Ummm...Jezzy?  When have you had time to grocery shop?

Maureen

Good point! :)
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good. - Unknown

Don't be concerned about being disloyal to your pain by being joyous. - Hazrat Inayat Khan

Joe: 1979- 7/2014

gracelet

• Eerily Cheerily - upbeat but sarcastic musings of a young lesbian widow
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 05:46:33 AM »
I regularly fall asleep on the sofa sitting upright with a glass of wine in my hand.

I haven't done washing up in 3 days.

I'm on the forum while I'm at work...
Musings of this sarcastic but upbeat young widow can be read here : www.eerilycheerily.com

Justin

• Administrator
  • From KY to AZ, USA AKA:MissingMarsha
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »

Guilty.

I sprinkled carpet deodorizer over two weeks ago.... and still haven't vacuumed it up. I have even had a house guest during that period  :(

Last autumn's leaves on still on the lawn.

My hair, beard, and dog all really need a trim.

I came home to find my regularly drunken neighbor burning fallen limbs in my back yard fire pit - and I didn't care, or even say "hi". I did occasionally check to make sure the yard wasn't on fire.
Marsha 1975-2014

"Love is the province of the brave"

JacklessSally

• Some Bunny Loves you DB
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »

Same.. as well as working on Radio Hell merch instead of my work..
B.H.S. 1-20-1974 - 11-13-2014

You will always be my Jack and I will always be your Sally. For we were simply meant to be.

littlebirdie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 12:14:50 PM »

Me too, but I'm self-employed and work from home so nobody cares.

Carey

• Widowed 11/23/13 Joined YWBB 12/2/13
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »
1. Realized last night I haven't washed the shower curtain  in.......well have I EVER since I moved over a year ago?
2. Haven't done a load of laundry in 2 weeks.
3. No food in the house, no dinero to make it happen no giveadamn to worry about it.
4. I alienated my very very best friend today by forgetting he is not the widda board and I just went off at the mouth whining and being clingy and now I'm at work wanting the floor to open up and swallow me.
5. It's 1:50 p.m. and I've done no real work today to speak of.
6. Heard "our" song today and really just HURT.
I can't look at the stars they make me wonder where you are. 
Stars.... up on heaven's boulevard
And if I know you at all
I know you've gone too far
 So I .... I can't look at the stars --Grace Potter

swilson

• Widower since Sept. 2014
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »
I act clueless about domestic stuff around the ladies at work. It's a chance to enjoy a little female conversation even if it is only about a recipe or laundry advice.
~ she's gone to Heaven so I've got to be good, so I can see my baby when I leave this world ~

Mangomom

• Widowed 8/10/12
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
I act clueless about domestic stuff around the ladies at work. It's a chance to enjoy a little female conversation even if it is only about a recipe or laundry advice.

This struck me as quite funny.  Care to share the recipes?  Or do you not even use them, you just listen :)

swilson

• Widower since Sept. 2014
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
Share recipes? ;D You may be onto something mangomom, perhaps a "cooking for one" thread. If I ask about a recipe or something I'll usually give it a try and afterward engage in some follow up chat about how it worked out.
~ she's gone to Heaven so I've got to be good, so I can see my baby when I leave this world ~

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 10:08:54 AM »
1. I live on coffee most of the time-- I go to Starbucks nearly every day and drink 2 cups of brewed coffee with sugar and half-and-half (my reasoning is that the sucrose, fat, and tiny bit of protein should be sufficient, along with all the excess fluffiness that I have). I keep yogurt and granola bars at work, and I chew ice all day. If I'm home alone, I get hungry, wander to the kitchen, look in the fridge, then shut it again and think, Nah, not worth the effort, I'd rather listen to my stomach growl. I only eat a full meal when my mom is home, because she insists on making one and then pulls a guilt trip if I don't clean my plate. People keep asking me what my secret is (cos, yes, I've dropped a fair bit), and I tell them it's the Diet from Hell. I couldn't care less about weight loss, I just can't be bothered with finding and consuming food most days.

2. I feel sorry for myself, and I HATE IT. It makes me despise myself for being so weak and pathetic. But I can't seem to stop.

3. I sometimes think I created this whole thing-- from finding Jim to marrying him and then on through to losing him-- as some St Elsewhere or Dallas-style extended dream sequence in order to deal with the colossal disaster that was my first marriage. It was never real, so I don't belong here--or anywhere else, as far as I can tell, except maybe some freak show someplace. :(

4. I can tell myself a thousand times a day that "I got this," but it's a house of cards on a wobbly table in an earthquake zone. Honestly... I think I'm just... done.
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

littlebirdie

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
1. I live on coffee most of the time--

For the first year or so, I did too. I was literally drinking a pot of coffee a day. I've seriously cut back to one mug in the morning, but for a while caffeine was the only thing that fueled me.

Jen

• Global Moderator
  • Jim: 7 April 1974-10 April 2014
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »
It's not even the caffeine- it does nothing for me. And if I'm really honest, I don't even like the coffee all that much anymore. It's just... habit. :-/
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other. ~Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"Dying is easy. Living is hard. ~George Washington, Hamilton

littlebirdie

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
Ah, I see. With me it was all about the caffeine. I couldn't sleep, so it kept me functional. :)

lcoxwell

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
1) I have almost completely converted to using paper plates and cups and plastic spoons, because I just don't have it in me to wash the dishes. 

2) I also frequently use the the cheap, plastic containers to store leftovers, so that when said leftovers have taken on a life of their own (because I haven't bothered to clean out the fridge), I can just toss them in the trash, container and all, without feeling quite as guilty for throwing good money away.  Again, it lets me avoid dishes. 

3) If I could reasonably justify never cooking again (financially and nutritionally), and just eat drive through or take out for the rest of my life, I would, because, you guessed it, I could avoid washing dishes.
"The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude." - Thornton Wilder

Thank you, my dearest Kenneth, for loving me and for giving me the best 13 years of my life.

TooSoon

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
In a confession long ago, I mentioned that the pizza man hugged me, indicating that maybe I had a problem both with pizza delivery frequency and with living in a town where the pizza guy heard about my husband through the Syrian-American grapevine  and thus felt compelled to hug me.

In a pizza delivery incident tonight, the new hipster pizza delivery man was so chatty and friendly, inquiring about the Union Jack in the planter by my front door (M's doing for our January visitor from the UK) and going on about his family and time in the UK, that for an instant I thought, maybe I should invite him in to join us for a slice?