ADHD and recess

Guest TooSoon

Tonight in tears, my child revealed that she lost her playground time bc some 3rd grade homework wasn't done.  Why wasn't it done?  Well, sometimes her Mom can't pick her up until late because of work and sometimes her grandparents think it is done when it is not and that is the life of a child whose other parent died.  This is the very same situation that prompted me to take her out of the private school she was in because they would not listen to me on this recess thing.  If one more teacher takes recess away from my child, I am moving to Finland or similar.  She's too smart to be labeled LD and not smart enough for gifted but she has ADHD and needs that freaking time on the playground more than she needs her lunch.  Socially, she interacts like she's a 15 year old but she is not.  She is a little girl who cannot sit still and whose strength is other than math and reading.  What in the name of all that is good for our children makes it ok to take away play?  Especially for those antsy kids who need it most.  I'm so irritated right now I could just burst.  Why did the teacher not include in his letter that if homework wasn't completed recess would be taken away?  Had I known that I could have averted this whole situation!  But play!  The children need to play!  Ugh - I'm so fed up.  (ps - I am also a teacher, albeit at university but I'm part of this system and I see what happens to these kids when they get to college when the system has failed them).  Sorry that this is so super-stream-of-consciousness.  I'm not happy right now. 

How frustrating!  And doesn't the teacher suffer in the afternoon with kids who didn't get a chance to let off some energy at recess? I hope you and the teacher can come to an understanding as to what works best for your daughter. I am sympathetic to the tight controls that are placed on our teachers these days but there needs to be some wiggle room for working with an individual child's needs.  Not to mention the mom guilt we have when we feel like we ant stay on top of everything at home, uhgg!

I'm so sorry your daughter's teacher did this. What unnecessary craziness is that??  I hope you talk to them and explain the importance of recess.

I am a new elementary teacher and at both my practicum schools, students were not to lose recess as punishment. The same is true for all schools I have since supplied in. In fact, the scariest thing a teacher can hear is "indoor recess" when there is inclement weather.

Kids need to run off steam, ADHD or not, and then they can refocus again afterwards in class.

Sorry, but we have enough to deal with as solo parents, we don't need to add more stress from our children's teachers!

Something all the schools (included my kids) have done is when a kid gets in trouble for whatever reason-they have to walk a lap during recess. Usually about 20 percent of doing one or two laps. (Small track and just walking).. they switched it because all the studies have shown that the worst thing you can do is take away a kids recess (ADHD or not..)...Bur it's still a "punishment" in the kids eyes but it's good for them.

Think I would talk to the teacher...possibly the administrator with a few studies supporting this. I am sure there are plenty. Our teachers in the county had to sit thru a 2 hr I

In service this summer on this very issue.

Homework just bites. Sending you support!!

This happens with my DD all the time.  Yesterday she came home upset because she had a headache and the nurse told her she had to do something quiet during recess.  The headaches I suspect are caused by the effort she has to put into doing school work.  She is dyslexic and reads on a first grade level. She is mainstreamed and only goes to get help with reading. So the best thing for her headaches would be to play and do anything that doesn't require her to concentrate.  Yet because a adult told her to sit quietly that's what she did.  I will be telling her that recess is her time to do whatever she wants and the nurse will never know. She doesn't exactly run around a lot anyways.

Last year she was on the last bus to leave school meaning she didn't get home until almost 5. Yet she was not allowed to work on her homework until she left school because "It's Suppose to be done at home"  If that happens this year I might just need to pick a fight.  I have grown to hate homework and its not even mine.

TS, your post made me think of Michael Spock, son of childcare guru Dr. Benjamin Spock and the scholar in residence at the last museum where I worked. He was one of the first people in museums to recognize the importance of play and interactivity in museums, and to really target children as an audience in museums. He was really at the forefront of these issues; the interactivity in museums and child focused exhibitions you see are the direct result of his work. He was also dyslexic, and I'm sure that must have informed his interest in different approaches to learning. I know you know how to get things done, but I'm sure he and others have written extensively on the benefits of play, and having those kind of sources in your arsenal if you have to "pick a fight" might help.Here is a bit of information about him: http://www.playgroundprofessionals.com/encyclopedia/s/michael-spock.

Back on the old boards a widower posted a similar beef and I remember  thinking, holy shit they still DO that?! After everything we now know about the benefits of play?