The Year of Magical Thinking - Joan Didion

Guest TooSoon

I've been telling myself stories in order to live since I can remember. I can see myself  reading this book aloud to Peter the year it was published, as I had read every damn book of hers to him over the years. . It was the first book I read after his death. I committed nearly the entire book to memory. "Complicated grief". Oh yeah.  She just had her 81st birthday. I want to be her when I grow up.

love Marian.

Guest TooSoon

I read to Scott while he was in the coma.  For several weeks I read from Robert Hughes' Rome.  I think I liked the idea that if he was "in there" at all by that point that maybe the last images in his mind would be of the three of us trampling all over Rome, a time I will always remember when we were the most carefree and happy and wondering how we ever got so lucky.....that, of course, was just a few short months before the world came crashing down.

Anyway, I loved the book.  I read it in its entirety last night.  M was annoyed with me but it seemed like one of those books that simply deserves to be read from start to finish. 

ox